Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Classic 60's songs: White Rabbit  (Read 8749 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Classic 60's songs: White Rabbit
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:38:48 PM »

"White Rabbit" was the second major hit by Jefferson Airplane, released as a single in June 1967, at the beginning of the summer of love. The song peaked at #8 in US (certified as a platinum record). It was written and sung by Grace Slick, who had previously recorded a longer version with the Great Society. The lyrics are heavily inspired by Alice in Wonderland, including several references from Lewis Carroll's work. The recording is characterized by a dense bass intro, marching drums and the increasing intensity of vocal and instruments till the end of the track. This song has become an iconic piece representing the flower power movement.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0</a>
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Classic 60's songs: White Rabbit
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:12:22 AM »

"Feed your head?  I never said that.  Jefferson Airplane made that up!"
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »

This one is only just alright for me.  Its not bad if I havent heard it in awhile, but I tire of it pretty quickly.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:02:04 AM »

This one was of its time. Can't say I like it particularly. Like Somebody to Love I tend only to hear it in movies and tv shows and it usually does its job of evoking the time period very well. In its favour its got a nice heavy backing. And Grace Slick's voice carries it off well.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 01:15:26 AM »

The Jefferson Airplane did a great job covering The Great Society's song...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LPDCdtjkx0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LPDCdtjkx0</a>

Grace Slick's vocals on both are superb.  But I'm partial to The Great Society's version.  It's early psychedelic raga rock at its best.  And Grace Slick's oboe solo is magnificent.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »

The Jefferson Airplane did a great job covering The Great Society's song...

I don't know if technically it could be considered as a cover, since the songwriter was a member of both bands. It would be like saying that Paul McCartney is covering the Beatles when he sings "Yesterday" or "Hey Jude". I'd better say that the Great Society recorded the first or original version.

On the other side, I think that "Somebody To Love" by Jefferson Airplane is certainly a cover of a Great Society's song, since it was written by Darby Slick.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:06:07 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:39:27 AM »

So what did the Dormouse really say?

Chapter 11 - Who Stole the Tarts?

`Give your evidence,' the King repeated angrily, `or I'll have you executed, whether you're nervous or not.'

`I'm a poor man, your Majesty,' the Hatter began, in a trembling voice, `--and I hadn't begun my tea--not above a week or so--and what with the bread-and-butter getting so thin--and the twinkling of the tea--'

`The twinkling of the what?' said the King.

`It began with the tea,' the Hatter replied.

`Of course twinkling begins with a T!' said the King sharply. `Do you take me for a dunce? Go on!'

`I'm a poor man,' the Hatter went on, `and most things twinkled after that--only the March Hare said--'

`I didn't!' the March Hare interrupted in a great hurry.

`You did!' said the Hatter.

`I deny it!' said the March Hare.

`He denies it,' said the King: `leave out that part.'

`Well, at any rate, the Dormouse said--' the Hatter went on, looking anxiously round to see if he would deny it too: but the Dormouse denied nothing, being fast asleep.

`After that,' continued the Hatter, `I cut some more bread- and-butter--'

`But what did the Dormouse say?' one of the jury asked.

`That I can't remember,' said the Hatter.

`You MUST remember,' remarked the King, `or I'll have you executed.'

The miserable Hatter dropped his teacup and bread-and-butter, and went down on one knee. `I'm a poor man, your Majesty,' he began.

`You're a very poor speaker,' said the King.

At the trial, the Hatter couldn't remember what the Dormouse said.  And the Dormouse, as usual, had fallen asleep.   :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 04:46:31 AM »

Remember what the Dormouse said
Feed your head

Now maybe, as did the juror, Grace Slick was imploring the Hatter to remember what the Dormouse said.  "Feed your head" was something she was imploring the listener to do.

Go ask Grace, I think she'll know.   ;)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »

Go ask Grace, I think she'll know.   ;)

She knows what she meant. But "feed your head" is a strong message, and that can be done by other ways.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

Live at Woodstock 1969

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_raXzIRgsA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_raXzIRgsA</a>

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »

The Great Society version is fantastic.

And what an original song this is : an intro, a middle and a climax. In my opinion, the longer the intro the better.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »

And what an original song this is : an intro, a middle and a climax. In my opinion, the longer the intro the better.

I think the Great Society version is more trippy; and the Jefferson Airplane version is better performed, due to the higher virtuosity of the musicians. I prefer the most famous version, but I like the earlier version too.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »

Then you'll like this version by Jefferson Starship, zipp.  It's very similar in structure to The Great Society's performance at The Matrix...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoLcgxvf98" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoLcgxvf98</a>

Jefferson Starship   Winterland   8 November 1975

They reverted back nine years.  A magnificent guitar solo by Craig Chaquico!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 09:21:41 PM »

I think the Great Society version is more trippy; and the Jefferson Airplane version is better performed, due to the higher virtuosity of the musicians. I prefer the most famous version, but I like the earlier version too.

The studio version is certainly polished.  But to really experience The 60's it's best to hear The Jefferson Airplane's live club performance of White Rabbit...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-Mtftt_Jo&amp;t=559s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-Mtftt_Jo&amp;t=559s</a>

8:00

The Jefferson Airplane   Café A Go Go   4 March 1967

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 09:45:13 PM »

I always tend to prefer the studio recordings. I experience the 60's that way. There are exceptions where I prefer live versions, but they are few cases. Just a personal point of view.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:46:48 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »

Then you'll like this version by Jefferson Starship, zipp.  It's very similar in structure to The Great Society's performance at The Matrix...
They reverted back nine years.  A magnificent guitar solo by Craig Chaquico!

You're right. Thanks.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »

I experience the 60's that way.

Right.  You were born Ten Years After.  You missed one far out decade, alright!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 11:57:58 PM »

Right.  You were born Ten Years After.  You missed one far out decade, alright!

Yes, but I don't care. The good thing of not having been there is that my taste is not moved by nostalgia; it's moved by a sincere appreciation of great music. I live the 60's that way and that's enough for me.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 12:56:28 AM »

Those of us who experienced the 60s are proud, of course.  It was a fast-paced decade in all facets of life, culture and music.  What you missed, however, is not found in records and films available today.  When it comes to music, we were part of what went on at the time and influenced the evolution of music during the decade.  Imagine going to see Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary, Pete Seeger, The We Five, and the Kingston Trio at a New York festival site and getting the chance to mingle and speak with them.  Imagine going to Greenwich Village clubs and seeing folk artists up close and speaking with them in between sets. Imagine going to a Hot Tuna concert which started at 8:00 PM and finished at dawn the next day.  If you stayed till the end and brought your guitar, you could sit on the stage and play with the band.  Very few people were left in the auditorium at that time and we personally interacted with these artists.  Imagine going to a David Bromberg concert at a Catskill Mountains venue and getting the chance to tell him you studied guitar under Ian Buchanan.  "Let's see what he taught you" he said as he passed his guitar to me.  I showed him and his bass guitarist began accompanying me as David Bromberg picked up his second guitar and joined in.

Please don't sell us short.  We also appreciated great music; music that was being created at that moment in time.  In our case, nostalgia did not drive our appreciation, our pure appreciation, of music of the 1960s.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 02:20:57 AM »

Please don't sell us short.  We also appreciated great music; music that was being created at that moment in time.  In our case, nostalgia did not drive our appreciation, our pure appreciation, of music of the 1960s.

I didn't mean that. Some people like you can combine both nostalgia and pure appreciation; other people may only live based on nostalgia; and people like me do not need to have been there to appreciate all that great music.

I meant that the 60's can be experienced from different perspectives: you lived the 60's from the inside; and I live the 60's from the outside. I'm not in your feet to experience your livings; and you're not in my feet to see my point of view. You describe the 60's as a wonderful time, and it certainly was great. I see the 60's as a wonderful sound and message, and I don't need to be a living witness to get it, as well as I don't need to see Jesus the Man to get Jesus the Word.

You seem to give too much importance to having been close to those artists. I think getting the art is much more important (and again, I'm not saying you don't get the art). My mind is too free to need human heroes. See, I don't know a guy who likes the Beatles music more than me; still, I never went to see Paul McCartney when he came to Argentina (two times since I'm a Beatles fan). My friends couldn't understand that, but I prefer listening to the records at home. And I prefer sharing time with people who know and love me, and not idolizing someone who doesn't know I exist. John Lennon said that he was just a medium who gives what he receives; and I agree with him: the art is more trascendental than the artist.

I love the 60's counterculture, but I don't think everything from that time was great. I embrace the message of peace and love. I admire the belief that music could change the world. But I don't support the wild use of drugs and the concept of free sex. Sure, marijuana and LSD may have been needed to open minds. But once the book is open, you don't need drugs to access the message. Only weak minds appeal to drugs. And indeed, when hippies pretended to get much higher with hard drugs like heroin, that was the beginning of the end of the dream. Thus, I take from the 60's those things that edify my spirit; and I reject those things related to vain temporal pleasures for the flesh.

I prefer believing that the best times are yet to come, despite all the circumstances. Nostalgia of future times is what I have.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:20:02 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.626 seconds with 83 queries.