Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: She Loves You: An Apology?  (Read 1931 times)

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
She Loves You: An Apology?
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »

Just my theory but could some of the lyrics of She Loves You have been subconsciously inspired by the Bob Wooler incident?

The reason I say so is that it was six days previously i.e before writing commenced, that Lennon was ordered by Epstein to send an apology by telegram to Wooler. Check out the lyrics:

"You know it's up to you
I think it's only fair
Pride can hurt you too
Apologize to her"

Also..

She said you hurt her so
She almost lost her mind (Lennon actually said he was out of his mind)
And now she says she knows
You're not the hurting kind

The whole theme of the song is of reconciliation. I think the fact that the events were so close and that it really shook Lennon up (he said he thought he was close to killing Wooler) it can't be coincidence. Or perhaps McCartney wrote those words in the third person with the events in mind.

I'm not saying they set out to consciously write about it or that the song is about Bob Wooler but that the events subconsciously influenced some lyrics.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:19:05 PM by Bobber »

Bobber

Re: She Loves You
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »

That is an interesting thought. I wonder if the telegram to Bob Wooler still exists?

Found this:
Two days after he assaulted Cavern Club DJ Bob Wooler for insinuating he had had an affair with Brian Epstein, John Lennon sent a telegram to apologise.

The incident took place at Paul McCartney's 21st birthday party on 18 June 1963.

The telegram was sent on Epstein's orders, and read: "Really sorry Bob. Terribly worried to realise what I had done. What more can I say?"

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
Re: She Loves You: An Apology?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 01:44:36 PM »

Yes according to the Beatles Bible site the telegram was sent 20th June 1963 and they began She Loves you on 26th June at Turk's Hotel in Newcastle.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 02:52:25 AM »

Trouble with attributing sub conscious motives to people is that they're inherently unknowable. Still an interesting thought. And the timing certainly is right for it.

No doubt John dragged lots of stuff from his past to throw into lyrics. No reason this couldn't have contributed as well.

Reading Lewisohn's book it seems John was a lot less sorry about thumping Wooler than his telegram and public statements after suggest.

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 02:13:45 PM »

I know what you are saying about sub conscious motives and there are enough crazy Beatles theories out there already. But I thought this seemed so close to the event that it would have been on their minds. The incident got national press coverage and the the negative publicity could have harmed John's career. Of course we know now it didn't.

Also Lennon mentioned the incident much later (Andy Peebles interview maybe?) and did seem quite sorry about it and worried that he could have killed Wooler.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 40 queries.