A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 10:48:09 AM 
Started by NotTheWalrus - Last post by NotTheWalrus
I could translate the words, but they are very generic early 60s words. I don't think there's a huge amount of value to be gained. Though, if anyone wants to know what they're singing, it'll be a doddle to translate due to the simplicity of the lyrics.

Note that the artists involved have created much deeper music. So, this is, I believe, deliberately light.

on: Today at 10:25:15 AM 
Started by In My Life - Last post by Bobber
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rydEgyGdJa8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rydEgyGdJa8</a>

on: Today at 10:19:40 AM 
Started by philosopher - Last post by Bobber
Well done! To be honest I did not listen to it all, but I skipped here and there. I did listen to Within You Without You complete tho. The ukelele is a better option than the annoying sitar in the original version.  ;)

on: Today at 10:14:08 AM 
Started by blmeanie - Last post by Bobber
It seems to me that there's always been a very vocal minority in the US that gets upset about such things. I feel like most of the footage I've seen of outraged adults lamenting the younger generation has come from here. It wasn't that way in my family. My parents were like others from their generation in many ways but they were very cool in many other ways. They seemed to actually enjoy what the older kids, and later what I listened to; Mom especially. She was always asking me who that was singing on the radio. For some reason that embarrassed me when my friends were in the car. LOL I should have realized that was a good thing.

I'm doing the same thing with my kids now. Thing is that they hardly know the artists for themselves. Music has become a throw away thing. Very exchangable. It's not like the old days, when you had to save up to buy a LP record you were eager to get and listened to day and night (because you hardly had any other record). I still know the playing order of a lot of records I had. Today kids listen to a song for a week and it's deleted from their phones with the greatest ease.

on: Today at 10:10:19 AM 
Started by blmeanie - Last post by Bobber
If you are missing something, let me know because i'm missing the same thing.  I dont buy reissues either.  Heck, i'm not even buying the Sgt. Peppers package thats coming out.  Thought never even crossed my mind to be honest.

I'm not buying the Flowers reissue. I started doubting about Sgt Pepper when I saw the package. It's actually looking good. Expensive tho.

on: Today at 07:05:13 AM 
Started by Jane - Last post by Moogmodule
I wrote one for a laugh

The long and winding toad..

Is that about a cane toad you've run over and is stuck on your tyre?

on: Today at 07:04:13 AM 
I had the soundtrack on my iPod for a while. I never knew, but just read, that poor Neil Innes was sued by Northern Songs for copyright infringement. Warner Brothers wouldn't back him up and he lost a lot of the money he made from the film. It sadly proved the validity of the film's title, I guess.

I heard that John Lennon loved it but thought that "Get Up and Go" was a bit too close to the original (the If I Fell parody is also pretty much a note for note take-off) and that they added Lennon and McCartney to the credits. But most of the others I didn't think were direct lifts. They more captured the mood and style very well.  I suppose the music companies want to use all those lawyers for something.

on: Today at 05:49:11 AM 
Started by Jane - Last post by nimrod
It is great fun. And some of the songs (the ones that aren't straight rip offs) are clever in their own right. I found Jagger a bit hit and miss though. He sometimes played it straight quite well but other times couldn't stop smiling at the joke.

The experimental Feet film had me in stitches
I wrote one for a laugh

The long and winding toad..

on: Today at 05:00:36 AM 
Started by Jane - Last post by In My Life
I had the soundtrack on my iPod for a while. I never knew, but just read, that poor Neil Innes was sued by Northern Songs for copyright infringement. Warner Brothers wouldn't back him up and he lost a lot of the money he made from the film. It sadly proved the validity of the film's title, I guess.

on: Today at 03:33:50 AM 
I was 13 when I saw the film of The Rutles performing "I Must Be in Love" on Saturday Night Live. I got a big kick out of the running gag with Loren Michaels and the $300 but I thought the film was dumb and even blasphemous. It wasn't too common to see old footage of the real thing in those days and that was all I cared about. But when I first came here six years ago and and commenced with my Beatles education I was re-introduced to The Rutles, encouraged to watch "All You Need is Cash" and found it hilarious. A casual fan might find it funny but to really understand why it's brilliant you have to be schooled.  :)

It is great fun. And some of the songs (the ones that aren't straight rip offs) are clever in their own right. I found Jagger a bit hit and miss though. He sometimes played it straight quite well but other times couldn't stop smiling at the joke.

The experimental Feet film had me in stitches

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.73 seconds with 15 queries.