Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The songs they gave away  (Read 7054 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
The songs they gave away
« on: August 15, 2005, 08:21:08 PM »

I obviously havent heard all the songs the boys gave to others but I was wondering what you thought of what you have heard and what is your favourite, or well... do you really like.

Ive always liked A World Without Love and That Means A Lot, both written by McCartney. Come and Get It is also nice but can
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:24:26 PM by Bobber »
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

scousette

• One And One Is Two
Re: The songs they gave away.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 12:36:42 AM »

World Without Love is one of my favorite records.  

It's For You is so different--interesting track.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 05:35:48 AM »

Didn't Paul write Those Were the Days as well? Or am I mistaken?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:20:52 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
Didn't Paul write Those Were the Days as well?

No. I think it is an old Russian folk song. Perhaps one of the Russians over here can sing it to us?

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 04:01:27 AM »

they also gave I Wanna Be Your Man to the Rolling Stones and it ended up getting them on the top 10 charts in the UK
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 07:37:06 AM »

There's a box of 4 cd's available, containing every song in this subject. Bootlegzone gives a lot of information on this topic. The text below is taken from that site.

http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=cd490351&section=1

A collection of songs that were never properly recorded by The Beatles or their members.
All dates are dubious (taken from booklet) and probabaly refer to the day the songs were released.

Liner notes:

One of the passions of a true Beatles fan who wants everything, is to collect all the songs ever written (or co-written) by all of the 4 Beatles. Such a daunting (and expensive!) task has just been made instantly obtainable with this 4 CD set, which, as an added bonus, includes the Beatles' own versions of many of these great songs.

What becomes obvious after only half of the first disc, is that if The Beatles chosen to record some of these songs officially as a complete album, it would have been a monster hit, for example, on the first disc (which features songs given away while the Beatles were still together) there are no less than 11 top ten hits - a remarkable feat from a group already blessed with "Guaranteed Hits" status.

The only known (and deliberate) omission from the set is (apart from "Leave It") all of the tracks from Mike McCartney's Mc Gear album, which is now freely available on CD. We've still included, however, the FAB 45 "Leave It", "Sweet Baby" (not on the LP or re-issued CD) and the non-LP 45 "Dance the Do" (in it's original form - the CD version is a dramatically different recent re-mix)

The second disc continues the story into the early 70'S, including one-off items like George's "Sing One For The Lord" only available on Billy Prestons otherwise unspectacular "Encouraging Words" Apple LP, early mixes of the various songs Ringo was given for his "Ringo" LP in 1973, the very rare McCartney penned "4th July" (for John Christie), Billy Lawrie's "Rock and Roller (co-written by Ringo) and Peggy Lee's "Lets Love" which stands to this day one of McCartney's finest songs.

Disc three takes us through to the recent McCartney/Costello hit "Veronica" and includes both Gary Moore and Eric Clapton's versions of George's "That Kind Of Woman" (Clearly Eric wins!) also included on disc 3, McCartney's "Mine For Me" (Rod Stewart), Giddy (Roger Daltrey), On The Wings Of A Nightengale" (Everly Bros), "Honorary Consul" theme (John Williams) and the very rare "New Moon Over Jamaica" (Johnny Cash) which also features Paul singing duet lead vocal.

This set will also satisfy those "semi-fans" who don't wish to purchase Ringo's output over the years, by including all songs given to him by the other 3 Beatles: e.g. "Cookin" (John), "Pure Gold" (Paul), "I'll Still Love You" (George) plus the many others as well.

Disc 4 concludes the set with as many of The Beatles own versions of these songs as have ever been heard till now, for example, we have sourced the acetates of one-off demo's of "Bad To Me", "One and One Is Two", "Step Inside Love", "Goodbye" and "On the Wings Of A Nightingale", a total of 20 performances of the 68 songs given away are included on this the final CD in the set. As is normal, it is our quest to make all of our releases maximum value for money, so we've added 30 bonus tracks/excerpts/oddities and the many mono/stereo differences which for anyone but the absolute die-hard fan will surely offer some unknown treasures. For example, how many of you knew that the mono "Matchbox" has a totally different guitar solo to the stereo version?

This 4 CD set is a "dream come true" for collectors and will be recorded as a "must have" for all Beatles fans.

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 02:11:05 PM »

I Don't Want To See You Again by Peter & Gordon can be watched here

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 03:56:46 PM »

^ Cheers Bobber. How much echo did those guys use?
The Swinging Blue Jeans outfits from the other vid are disgusting. (should have been called The Nerdy Stripey Tops With White Cardies).  Reminds you just how cool (and good looking) The Beatles were.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 10:39:05 AM »

i'll be on my way (which appears on the beatles album 'live at the BBC#'-feautures the only version they recorded_), is a brilliant song, i think which they gave away, not sure who to, will have to check that

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 10:41:58 AM »

i believe that was billy j kramer...the guy that they gave from a window to also....

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 10:42:56 AM »

in fact if you scroll up there it is.......

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 10:54:39 AM »

oh yes, thankss.billy J, great album though is that BBC one.

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 09:22:28 AM »

A footage of Billy J Kramer doing I'll Keep You Satisfied here

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 10:44:27 PM »

It would seem that Peter and Gordon made out the best of all the artists that were given songs.

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 08:57:24 AM »

Quote from: 23
It would seem that Peter and Gordon made out the best of all the artists that were given songs.

Maybe they got the best songs.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 11:42:43 AM »

Quote from: 23

That's probably because Paul was going out with Peter's sister, Jane Asher, at the time!!!

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 02:49:59 PM »

I have put a video of The Applejacks on my podcast, performing the Lennon/McCartney composition Like Dreamers Do. The Beatles played this early Paul song during the Decca audition on January 1st, 1962. This performance is from 1963. And did you know The Applejacks had a female bassplayer?

The podcast is here: http://bobbr.podomatic.com, but I bet you knew that.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 11:49:14 AM »

Nice knees!!!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 02:38:10 PM »

It's post Beatles, but I think On The Wings Of A Nightingale by the Everly Brothers is one of the best songs Paul ever wrote. Does anybody know if any recordings of Paul doing that song excist?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 02:42:42 PM »

I found this CD a while ago:

It's Kate Pierson (B-52's), Bill Janovitz (Buffalo Tom), Robin Zander (Cheap Trick) and some other people doing songs that Lennon & McCartney gave away. It's not very good, but it's cool to have all these songs compiled on one CD.

1. I
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.72 seconds with 80 queries.