Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 65446 times)

glass onion

• Getting Better
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #280 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »

Never liked the idea of Their Satanic Majesties. It's just not the Rolling Stones. Peace and love isn't their thing. Give me Beggars Banquet and Sympathy For The Devil any day.
But this when The Stones bug me. The cover of TSMR is wayyyyy too much like Pepper. And a little obvious with it's "we take dugs" imagery.
And then their next album has a white cover.
Then they call their next album Let It Bleed.
I think maybe the Stones really needed The Beatles to go before they could really shine.
ps - according to Wiki the cake decoration on Let It Bleed was made by Delia Smith.
i like satanic majesties,although it is a patchy album.it does seem true that the stones seemed to be copying the beatles a bit,especially on what kev has written(above).i really do not see why they felt the need to copy-when you compare the two bands side-by-side they were so,so different.i like the stones,66'-71' period.some very good material in there.the stones were also trailblazers in the way of jagger being such a charismatic frontman,topping the likes of percy plant and freddie mercury by a good number of years.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #281 on: November 05, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »

i really do not see why they felt the need to copy-when you compare the two bands side-by-side they were so,so different.i like the stones,66'-71' period.

I wouldn't say copy. Well, maybe I would. Firstly though I'll say that I think many sixties acts were contributing to the new sounds and looks, and it's hard to pin down who was influencing who. Everyone was pushing the boundaries.
But the Stones started as a blues band and switched to pop when The Beatles arrive. There's the whole Jagger/Richards thing, songs like "As Tears Go By" and "Lady Jane", them picking up on the riffing thing, the Satanical Majesties fiasco, Rock and Roll Circus coming straight after Magical Mystery Tour blah blah blah.
Like I said, everyone was doing their bit, but The Stones seem to have been unduly influenced bu the Beatles. To balance things out though I find Lennon's Dylan infatuation a bit embarrassiong. He even bought the hat. but then everyone was wearing that hat. And on it goes.
but I still do think The Stones had to wait for The Beatles to wane before they could really shine.
don't follow leaders

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2010, 04:53:05 PM »

Plus those clothes look really ridiculous on them.

It was the late 60s...

;)
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »

On vinyl, the way it was meant to be heard

:)

I always doubt that. I remember reading an interview with someone (Justin Hayward) and there were always frustrated. Everybody in the studio and the musicians did their best to make the sound as good as possible. After that it was destroyed on a piece of vinyl. But it was the best material they had, until the cd.

Cor, I was being a little sarcastic there.  I remember listening to that album and looking at the 3D cover rightside up, upside down, sideways and every which angle looking for other stuff in there.

Yes, vinyl is all we had at the time.  Sometimes reel-to-reel tape which really sounded good!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #284 on: November 05, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »

Never liked the idea of Their Satanic Majesties. It's just not the Rolling Stones. Peace and love isn't their thing. Give me Beggars Banquet and Sympathy For The Devil any day.
But this when The Stones bug me. The cover of TSMR is wayyyyy too much like Pepper. And a little obvious with it's "we take dugs" imagery.
And then their next album has a white cover.
Then they call their next album Let It Bleed.
I think maybe the Stones really needed The Beatles to go before they could really shine.
ps - according to Wiki the cake decoration on Let It Bleed was made by Delia Smith.

Yeah, Kevin, but you gotta admit the 3D cover was pretty neat.

And let's not forget Sticky Fingers...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2010, 10:10:21 PM »

Nicky Hopkins

It's a shame we never see Nicky Hopkins in any of the Revolution videos.  But here he is playing with The Spongetones

Revolution - The Spongetones with Nicky Hopkins on piano - http://www.myspace.com/spongetones

If only they had a microphone on the piano.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:10 PM »

I can remember virtually nothing of those sessions. It's a total blank. We were pretty much the way we look on the cover! The thing I remember most about making Satanic Majesties is that cover. We went to New York with Michael Cooper and met a Japanese guy who had a camera that could produce a 3-D effect. We built the set on acid, went all round New York getting the flowers and the rest of the props; we were painting it, spraying it. We were just loony, and after the Beatles had done Sgt. Pepper, it was like, Let's get even more ridiculous.

- Keith Richards, 2003

We were on acid doing the cover picture. I always remember doing that. It was like being at school, you know, sticking on the bits of colored paper and things. It was really silly. But we enjoyed it. (laughs)

- Mick Jagger, 1995

http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpMajesties.html

Bobber

« Reply #287 on: November 07, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »

It was the late 60s...

I know I know. But still...

nimrod

« Reply #288 on: November 17, 2010, 10:52:13 PM »

I always thought the Stones were a great band.......... until Ronnie Wood joined, then it just all fell apart for me. Never even remotly as talented as The Beatles but still a great band who had their heyday in the 60's, I think in the 70's they were more relevant to older people (not teenagers) and they kinda got left behind (at least theyre blues rock did) by Prog Rock bands like Yes, Floyd, King Crimson, ELP, Roxy Music, ELO etc...

Prog Rock which I actually think was kind of 'introduced' by Abbey Road, especially side 2

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #289 on: November 18, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »

Prog Rock which I actually think was kind of 'introduced' by Abbey Road, especially side 2
I take it you mean the medley. That had already been done by Zappa in 66, and was cited by The Beatles as a big influence on Pepper. I don't think medleys were an especially innovative idea by 1969, just that The Beatles, like most things, did them so much better than most people.
don't follow leaders

nimrod

« Reply #290 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »

I take it you mean the medley. That had already been done by Zappa in 66, and was cited by The Beatles as a big influence on Pepper. I don't think medleys were an especially innovative idea by 1969, just that The Beatles, like most things, did them so much better than most people.

No Kevin, medleys were never used in prog rock, I was referring more to tracks, like, You Never Give Me Your Money, which has extended length, varius melody and tempo changes, classical influences, Mellotron.
Theres quite a bit of prog leanings on side 2, Because utilizes multi part counterpoint and classical overtones in the moog solo (moog became a very 'prog' instrument)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #291 on: November 18, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »

No Kevin, medleys were never used in prog rock, I was referring more to tracks, like, You Never Give Me Your Money, which has extended length, varius melody and tempo changes, classical influences, Mellotron.
Theres quite a bit of prog leanings on side 2, Because utilizes multi part counterpoint and classical overtones in the moog solo (moog became a very 'prog' instrument)

Fair enough, but all this "The Beatles invented the wheel" stuff always gets me on my guard. Most musical trends seem to come about through a stream of influences, rather than one singular moment. Prog rock had many elements, and while I can accept Abbey Road might have contributed to that I find it a bit of a quantum leap to say it "introduced" prog rock to the world.
Hadn't all that classical blending stuff already been done by bands like The Moody Blues? And surely Zappa, The Who, The Byrds and God knows who else had a hand in it. Just don't see how you can pinpoint Abbey Road as some kind of defining moment. Surely they gave the Prog Rock Baby a cuddle and a bottle, not gave birth to it.
don't follow leaders

nimrod

« Reply #292 on: November 19, 2010, 01:48:22 PM »

Fair enough, but all this "The Beatles invented the wheel" stuff always gets me on my guard. Most musical trends seem to come about through a stream of influences, rather than one singular moment. Prog rock had many elements, and while I can accept Abbey Road might have contributed to that I find it a bit of a quantum leap to say it "introduced" prog rock to the world.
Hadn't all that classical blending stuff already been done by bands like The Moody Blues? And surely Zappa, The Who, The Byrds and God knows who else had a hand in it. Just don't see how you can pinpoint Abbey Road as some kind of defining moment. Surely they gave the Prog Rock Baby a cuddle and a bottle, not gave birth to it.

well were way offf topic here so I wont debate, I'll just say its IMO  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: November 27, 2010, 06:31:57 AM »

Miss You

Miss you - The Rolling Stones

...and their disco version...

ROLLING STONES - MISS YOU ( DISCO VERSION !!!! ) , 1978 , 12 INCH , HQ AUDIO+++++ .

...and, I think, their best live version...

Rolling Stones - Miss You - Live '95 Tokyo

The Rolling Stones have soul!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2010, 03:09:16 AM »

oooh oooh hoooo oooh hoooo!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Musicfan67

• A Beginning
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2010, 05:09:05 PM »

The structure of the Abbey Road Medleys was so unique at the time people wondered what to make of it's structure. It's not really a medly but a long suite of songs with a bunch of short songs with two segments attached with fade ins  basically unrelated even it does have a recurring theme from "You Never Give Me Your Money" and "Carry That Weight". As for classical musical influences for the Beatles it went back as "Not A Second Time" back in 1963. The Beatles influence on prog basically starts with songs like "Elenoaor Rigby and "A Day in the Life". There is actually a book on the Abbey Road Medleys.

The Beatles' Abbey Road Medley: Extended Forms in Popular Music
Author: Thomas MacFarlane
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:12:43 PM by Musicfan67 »

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #296 on: December 07, 2010, 12:13:22 AM »

Doesn't A Quick One While He's Away by the Who (1966) satisfy alot of the criteria people are saying was introduced by abbey road medley?
it's just that as opposed to frank zappa, or the who.. or even forever changes by love,,,,,, the music on abbey road was just BETTER
-
-
and as far as being a 'medley'... they just left out the 3 seconds of silence that usually separate songs on albums and butted them up next to eachother . .
-
 aren't there are early demos of some of the medley songs that attest to the fact that this was leftovers thrown together,,,,more than- a
'preconcieved' peice of rock art ?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: December 07, 2010, 05:43:42 AM »

oooh oooh hoooo oooh hoooo!

...and a bunch of woo woos here:

rolling stones-sympathy for the devil

...along with a great guitar solo by Keith.

Musicfan67

• A Beginning
« Reply #298 on: December 07, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »

Doesn't A Quick One While He's Away by the Who (1966) satisfy alot of the criteria people are saying was introduced by abbey road medley?
it's just that as opposed to frank zappa, or the who.. or even forever changes by love,,,,,, the music on abbey road was just BETTER
-
-
and as far as being a 'medley'... they just left out the 3 seconds of silence that usually separate songs on albums and butted them up next to eachother . .
-
 aren't there are early demos of some of the medley songs that attest to the fact that this was leftovers thrown together,,,,more than- a
'preconcieved' peice of rock art ?

Geo
a

George Harrison said they rehearsed the tracks as one. The Who track you are talking about and the Abbey Road Medley are different. 

McCartney & Martin agree to try to link the last 8 songs on side two into a larger integrated formal unit. Uses song fragments from both McCartney and Lennon; repeats some melodies at strategic points. Starting with "You Never Give Me Your Money" "McCartney was playing with loops again and assembled a collection of Moog and other sounds for use on the album. “Paul took a plastic bag containing a dozen loose strands of mono tape into Abbey Road,” The effects—sounding like bells, birds, bubbles and crickets chirping allowed for a perfect cross fade in the medley from "Sun King" into "You Never Give Me Your Money". The melodies are repeated it flows, and it’s progressive rock like.

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2010, 09:11:40 PM »

i hear u. didn't know all of that  :)
-
i still contend despite how it was rehearsed - songs like polythene pam and mean mr mustard were written in india and basically leftovers that didnt make the white album - & therefore the sun king medley has elements of being a thrown together afterthought. unlike something like tommy which was actually more conceived as one "oeuvre" ( i think, lol)
-
i guess my only point was that prog rock or art rock (?) like any music genre must have multiple influences / starting points / milestones (in my opinion)
--
 :-\
kinda getting off topic with this medley discussion........ the thing is though, the sun king . . . sunking. . . . sunkin . .(*insert transitional bells and birds sounds) . . . sunken facial features of keith richards really reflect his hard lifestyle -> which he puts into his music! the stones RAWK!  ha2ha
hey, when the 70's kicked in and everyone went arty prog-rock... the stones went country western ! how great is that?  ;yes
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Page created in 2.203 seconds with 82 queries.