Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your absolute favourite Pink Floyd track..  (Read 13735 times)

nimrod

Your absolute favourite Pink Floyd track..
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:52:41 AM »

what is it ?

People argue about Waters v Gilmour etc but for me this is their best ever track from their long lost genius Syd Barret.

Astronomy Domine
[Syd Barrett]

Lime and limpid green
The second scene
The fights between
The blue you once knew

Floating down
The sound resounds
Around the icy
Water underground

Jupiter and Saturn
Oberon Titania & Miranda
Neptune, Titan, Stars can frighten

Winding signs flap
Flicker flicker flicker flap
Pow! Stairways scared
And death rules there

Blindman limpid
Green the sound
Surrounds the icy water on the
Lime and limpid green the sound
Surrounds the icy
Waters underground

Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:00:36 AM by nimrod »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: Your absolute favourite Pink Floyd track..
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:20:26 AM »

what is it ?

People argue about Waters v Gilmour etc but for me this is their best ever track from their long lost genius Syd Barret.

Astronomy Domine
[Syd Barrett]

Lime and limpid green
The second scene
The fights between
The blue you once knew

Floating down
The sound resounds
Around the icy
Water underground

Jupiter and Saturn
Oberon there on the run
Titanian, Neptune, Titan
Stars get frighten

Winding signs flap
Flicker flicker flicker flap
Pow! Stairways scared
And death rules there

Blindman limpid
Green the sound
Surrounds the icy water on the
Lime and limpid green the sound
Surrounds the icy
Waters underground

Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine

How's it going nimrod? I hope all is well with you. "Astronomy Domine" is a great song! Syd Barrett was such a genius, like Brian Wilson and Peter Green. It is just too bad that LSD permanently ruined Syd Barrett's life and nearly destroyed Brian Wilson's and Peter Green's lives as well. Auditory Hallucinations is a serious side effect as a result of excessive abuse of LSD.

PINK FLOYD is another great band that deserves to be called Rock Royalty. I have always admired PINK FLOYD for staying loyal to Syd by basing many of their songs on Syd's life. Syd's spirit is in PINK FLOYD albums such as THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, WISH YOU WERE HERE and THE WALL just to name a few.

I feel very lucky to have seen PINK FLOYD live 5 times. I saw them live in 1975, 1977, 1980, 1988 and 1994.

As for my favorite PINK FLOYD track, there are many. I love the songs "One of These Days," "Echoes," "Obscured By Clouds," "The Gold It's In The...," "Breathe," "Time," "Money," "Us And Them," "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," "Welcome To The Machine," "Have A Cigar," "Wish You Were Here," "Pigs (Three Different Ones)," "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2," "Mother," "Young Lust," "Hey You," "Comfortably Numb," "Run Like Hell," "Learning To Fly," "The Dogs Of War" and "On The Turning Away" just to name a few. As you can see, it is very difficult for me to choose just one song. However, if I had to choose one, it would be "Echoes." Take care.         

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »

what is it ?

Astronomy Domine
[Syd Barrett]

I agree with you there. "Astronomy Domine" is the best Syd song. I also love the Ummagumma version of it. I don't know about my favourite Pink Floyd track ever. Maybe somewhere between "Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V" and "Brain Damage/Eclipse". But when I usually listen to one Pink Floyd song I feel a desperate need to listen to the whole album. Probably that's the best thing about them.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »

Toss up between Time & us & them with Echoes just not quite making the cut. I think it's got to be Time just for the guitar solo if nothing else even though Us & them is probably the greater song.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »

Probably 'One Of My Turns', but I like 'Not Now John' a lot too with Daves great guitar solo. Eh, i'll choose 'One Of My Turns'. It helped (or hurt) me along during a breakup a long time ago. Nuff said.

Ironically, I dont care for much more than those two anymore. The early stuff is decent and I love 60's psych, but nothing steps out as being superior to the later efforts. Sorry Syd.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:06:48 PM »

I really like the first three tracks from The Piper At The Gates Of Down; then the album goes nowhere, excessive stuff that I don't dig too much.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:26:38 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:37:05 AM »

I really like the first three tracks from The Piper At The Gates Of Down; then the album goes nowhere, excessive stuff that I don't dig too much.

Have you heard the song "See Emily Play?" I love this song!

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 07:31:18 AM »

I've probably heard 'Comfortably Numb' a thousand times, but the guitar solo at the end can still give me goose flesh. That's probably my 'desert island' track.

'Astronomy Domine' is great, too. In general, though, I feel that the Syd era is highly overrated. A lot of noise punctuated by a few engaging musical moments.

I'm funny this way.

8)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »

Have you heard the song "See Emily Play?" I love this song!

Yes, I've heard it, nice song! I think it was their first single, am I wrong?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »

---

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »

Yes, I've heard it, nice song! I think it was their first single, am I wrong?

You were close, the first single by PINK FLOYD was "Arnold Layne," "See Emily Play" was the band's third single. Take care.

nimrod

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »

You were close, the first single by PINK FLOYD was "Arnold Layne," "See Emily Play" was the band's third single. Take care.

your right BF, I absolutely love the Syd Floyd era, an album and genre of the type that no-one had ever seen before, and I love Syds solo stuff after Floyd, a unique talent, as soon as you hear a Syd song you know its him, such a shame his illness took over.
As David Bowie (who was massively influenced by Syd) once said, 'Syd was a genius, thats it'

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 11:34:48 PM »

your right BF, I absolutely love the Syd Floyd era, an album and genre of the type that no-one had ever seen before, and I love Syds solo stuff after Floyd, a unique talent, as soon as you hear a Syd song you know its him, such a shame his illness took over.
As David Bowie (who was massively influenced by Syd) once said, 'Syd was a genius, thats it'

Hi mate! How are you? I love the Syd Barrett era as well, I just wished that I could have seen PINK FLOYD live with Syd Barrett. However, I saw PINK FLOYD 5 times as follows:

(1.) L.A. Memorial Sports Arena - Los Angeles, California - Sunday, 27 April 1975 - Wish You Were Here Tour
(2.) Oakland Coliseum Arena - Oakland, California - Tuesday, 10 May 1977 - Animals Tour
(3.) L.A. Memorial Sports Arena - Los Angeles, California - Monday, 11 February 1980 - The Wall Tour
(4.) Hughes Stadium - Sacramento, California - Wednesday, 20 April 1988 - Momentary Lapse Of Reason Tour
(5.) Oakland Coliseum Stadium - Oakland, California - Thursday, 21 April 1994 - The Division Bell Tour

I enjoyed every one of these shows mate! Take care.

nimrod

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 05:33:04 AM »

In general, though, I feel that the Syd era is highly overrated. A lot of noise punctuated by a few engaging musical moments.

maybe they shouldve put that on Syd's headstone...

maybe a ton of industry professionals and millions of Syd fans like me actually know very little about music.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »

Money
Wish You Were Here
Arnold Lane
Another Brick......

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »

maybe they shouldve put that on Syd's headstone...

maybe a ton of industry professionals and millions of Syd fans like me actually know very little about music.

I knew there'd be a reaction like that from someone. Too bad. I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm just sharing my personal opinion.

BTW, for all the 'millions' of Syd fans who enjoy that stuff, I'm certain many more millions could be dug up who don't.

Sorry if the truth hurts.

Peace.

;)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »

I knew there'd be a reaction like that from someone. Too bad. I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm just sharing my personal opinion.

BTW, for all the 'millions' of Syd fans who enjoy that stuff, I'm certain many more millions could be dug up who don't.

Sorry if the truth hurts.

Peace.

;)

Hi Klang! I hope all is well with you. I've learned in my lifetime that there is always going to be music fans that don't share the same opinions as me. I know people that don't like PINK FLOYD, THE BEATLES, THE STONES, THE WHO, LED ZEPPELIN and FLEETWOOD MAC just to name a few. People have their opinions and I respect their opinions just like I hope that they would respect mine in return. I love all of these bands (I love THE BEATLES more than all of them.) because they all contributed something great to Rock n' Roll and took music to another level. People are entitled to their opinions, thats what makes the world-go-round. Take care.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »

BF, I really appreciate what you just said.

It was certainly not my intention to offend and upset any Barret fans. I was indeed only sharing my own view. I think that my wording could have been taken as being critical of the man's work, but I was actually just expressing my personal feelings about it. I should have been more considerate of others' feelings. For that I will apologize.

But I have to stand by the core of what I said. I'm an old guy. I was a teen when Floyd's first stuff came out. It was played at the parties and enjoyed to a certain extent for its uniqueness, but, with the exception of a few listenable tracks already mentioned, for the most part was regarded as second-rate psychedelia. The kids making noise to annoy the grown-ups. There was much more interesting stuff on the scene coming from other groups.

When 'Meddle' came out it was a real hit. Every Floyd release from then on was a major musical event, and I am a big fan of every one of those albums.

So, to each their own, yea? I regret if my remarks upset anyone, because they shouldn't. Just one man's opinion. I don't post here (or anywhere) to try to gain acceptance or fit in. I know all the 'right' choices if that's what I wanted to do. I will always give my honest opinion. It is because of my respect for you that I wish to be among you. Please don't be offended by any of my ramblings. They don't matter. And - oh - by the way, neither do yours.

;)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »

BF, I really appreciate what you just said.

It was certainly not my intention to offend and upset any Barret fans. I was indeed only sharing my own view. I think that my wording could have been taken as being critical of the man's work, but I was actually just expressing my personal feelings about it. I should have been more considerate of others' feelings. For that I will apologize.

But I have to stand by the core of what I said. I'm an old guy. I was a teen when Floyd's first stuff came out. It was played at the parties and enjoyed to a certain extent for its uniqueness, but, with the exception of a few listenable tracks already mentioned, for the most part was regarded as second-rate psychedelia. The kids making noise to annoy the grown-ups. There was much more interesting stuff on the scene coming from other groups.

When 'Meddle' came out it was a real hit. Every Floyd release from then on was a major musical event, and I am a big fan of every one of those albums.

So, to each their own, yea? I regret if my remarks upset anyone, because they shouldn't. Just one man's opinion. I don't post here (or anywhere) to try to gain acceptance or fit in. I know all the 'right' choices if that's what I wanted to do. I will always give my honest opinion. It is because of my respect for you that I wish to be among you. Please don't be offended by any of my ramblings. They don't matter. And - oh - by the way, neither do yours.

;)

Thank you Klang, I hope that everyone else reads this. I respect your views and opinions, you are entitled to them just like me and everyone else. I even know people that like and prefer the David Gilmour era more than the Syd Barrett era and vice versa. I love both! I love the MEDDLE, ATOM HEART MOTHER, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, WISH YOU WERE HERE, ANIMALS, THE WALL and THE DIVISION BELL albums, all of these albums have Syd's spirit in them. I always loved and respected PINK FLOYD for staying loyal to Syd. Take care my friend.   

nimrod

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 09:00:56 PM »

Wasnt Arnold Layne about a man who stole clothes from washing lines as a hobby ?  ha2ha
Syd had this talent for writing great lyrics, in See Emily Play..

'she's often inclined to borrow somebody's dreams till tomorrow'

when you think about that line its just so brilliant....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.962 seconds with 85 queries.