Beatles forums > Albums

whats everyones favourite beatles albums in order

(1/44) > >>

fendertele:
just interested in what everyones favorite Beatles albums and if you wanna add why thats all the better

1) Magical Mystery Tour
2) Abbey Road
3) Revolver
4) Rubber soul
5) SPLHCB
6) White album
7) Help
8) Please Please Me
9) HDN
10) LIB
11) With the beatles
12) Yellow Submarine
13) Beatles for sale

Kevin:

--- Quote from: 758 ---just interested in what everyones favorite Beatles albums and if you wanna add why thats all the better

1) Magical Mystery Tour

--- End quote ---

Sorry, but I have to fight this battle every time it comes up. MMT was an  album compiled by Capitol Records, unsanctioned by the group, containing old hits, b- sides and songs from the UK EP. It's no more a Beatles album than Hey Jude or Something New. It's like saying Rock'n'Roll is better than A Hard Days Night.
This is why we never argue the merits of Yesterday or Nowhere Man as singles, because The Beatles never intended them to be as such. Nor did they ever intend I Am The Warus to appear on an album along with Penny Lane.
Phew. Sorry. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Klang:

Not meaning to raise any dust at all here, but the official Beatles Web site does list 'MMT' among the official releases. Just wondering about this.

:-/

Kevin:
Imports were  selling well, so it was released in 1976. But my point is those songs were never intended by the band to be heard together on an album. Love Songs is no doubt an official release, but we never argue its merits versus say Revolver.
MMT has been loaded with hits by some marketting exec in Capitol, so of course it's going to sound good. (it's a great piece of vinyl)
Yesterday was released in the US as a single in 1965 and in the UK in 1976. It's an official release. But we would never (I hope) waste our time putting it in some "favourite singles" list, because the band never intended it to be one. Likewise Back in the USSR/Twist and Shout (Parlophone R6016 released 29/06/1976) which got to #19 in the UK charts. An official release, but surely no one here considers it a Beatles single as they do Help! or Paperback Writer.
In all my thirty years of Beatle following, it has always been the UK released, band sanctioned material that warrant any serious discussion/listing, not the whims of american record company employees.  Otherwise releases from Argentina, Taiwan, Norway, Togoland etc would need inclusion, for they are as "valid" as US releases.

fendertele:
okay sorry i never knew that, would i get away with it if i changed it from favorite albums to favorite records ?  ::) or just exclude mmt from the list  ? also does yellow submarine not class as a album ? as it is more of a soundtrack if so ill take it out also

2) Abbey Road
3) Revolver
4) Rubber soul
5) SPLHCB
6) White album
7) Help
Please Please Me
9) HDN
10) LIB
11) With the beatles
12) Yellow Submarine
13) Beatles for sale