Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 152081 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40:24 AM »

^^ You guys are going to turn me into a Beach Boys fan, stop it now!   :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2010, 02:03:23 AM »

Surf's up!
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »

Here are The Beach Boys performing Good Vibrations live in 1966.  It was just the second time they performed it live....

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations live in 1966

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2010, 03:25:36 AM »

Well it feels so good!

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations [Alternate Version]

Gotta keep those lovin' good
Vibrations a-happenin' with her

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2010, 04:44:09 AM »

Yeah!

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (live, Hawaii 1967)

S/P Smile sessions    Hawaii 1967

I'm pickin' up good vibrations
She's giving me excitations.....

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »

On par as being as good as the Beatles. Long live Brian Wilson!

Surf's up boys

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »

Yeah!

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (live, Hawaii 1967)

S/P Smile sessions    Hawaii 1967

I'm pickin' up good vibrations
She's giving me excitations.....

There's an interesting story behind this concert in Hawaii in 1967. It was recorded because it was supposed to be released as a live album called 'Lei'd In Hawaii', but due to technical problems and weak performances the recordings weren't good enough. So the Beach Boys booked a studio in Los Angeles and re-recorded their "live" set with the intention of adding crowd noises later and passing it as a live album. It never came out, but several recordings from that studio session have been released through the years on various rarities compilations. At first these recordings were presented as pre-show rehearsals (cause they didn't want people to know that they were planning to release a fake live album cause the real thing wasn't good enough), but the truth is now common knowledge.

'Lei'd In Hawaii' would've been special because the group performed without backing musicians and without Bruce Johnston (but with Brian, who'd sometimes perform with the band on special occasions). So it's just the original five-piece line-up and it's interesting to hear complex songs like 'Good Vibrations' and 'Heroes And Villains' performed with just four instruments (Brian on keys, Al on bass, Carl on guitar and Dennis on drums).

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2010, 04:53:11 AM »

There's an interesting story behind this concert in Hawaii in 1967. It was recorded because it was supposed to be released as a live album called 'Lei'd In Hawaii', but due to technical problems and weak performances the recordings weren't good enough. So the Beach Boys booked a studio in Los Angeles and re-recorded their "live" set with the intention of adding crowd noises later and passing it as a live album. It never came out, but several recordings from that studio session have been released through the years on various rarities compilations. At first these recordings were presented as pre-show rehearsals (cause they didn't want people to know that they were planning to release a fake live album cause the real thing wasn't good enough), but the truth is now common knowledge.

'Lei'd In Hawaii' would've been special because the group performed without backing musicians and without Bruce Johnston (but with Brian, who'd sometimes perform with the band on special occasions). So it's just the original five-piece line-up and it's interesting to hear complex songs like 'Good Vibrations' and 'Heroes And Villains' performed with just four instruments (Brian on keys, Al on bass, Carl on guitar and Dennis on drums).

Thank you, Joost.  And you just gave me an idea for a much-deserved present for myself.  The "Lei'd In Hawaii" rehearsal sessions CD is available here (as a CDR, but that's OK).  I'll order it tomorrow.

In the interim....

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

Brian Wilson - Good Vibrations

Your comments, as always, are appreciated Joost.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2010, 04:54:46 AM »

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2010, 05:14:06 AM »

Thank you, Joost.  And you just gave me an idea for a much-deserved present for myself.  The "Lei'd In Hawaii" rehearsal sessions CD is available here (as a CDR, but that's OK).  I'll order it tomorrow.

In the interim....

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

Brian Wilson - Good Vibrations

Your comments, as always, are appreciated Joost.

First vid - doesn't go with the sound ... can hear Brian, but he's not there, and some harmony "Bop-m-bop"s are heard but not sung at that time. Seen a few vids here of "live" Good Vibrations, but none of them have video matching the audio. Are there any live vids of "Good Vibrations", i.e., on stage? P.S. - who's playing piano back there, looks familiar?

Smile Vibrations - is it all Brian on vox/instruments? Is it the new Smile just released, or is it an outtake from the 60s Smile that (?) never got fully finished/released?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:15:42 AM by alexis »
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2010, 05:31:42 AM »

Alexis, the first video is just a "music video" they did in 1967.  Dennis Wilson is having a good time miming the tambourine.  Bruce Johnston is playing the organ.  This is an interesting mix with the Jew's harp at 1:43.

There are a few live videos of Good Vibrations on YouTube, but none from the 60s.  I like this one from 1976.  Brian Wilson appeared on stage....

The beach boys -good vibrations
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:43:54 AM by Hello Goodbye »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2010, 05:33:37 AM »

Smile Vibrations - is it all Brian on vox/instruments? Is it the new Smile just released, or is it an outtake from the 60s Smile that (?) never got fully finished/released?
Thanks!

It's the final track on the new Smile.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »

A cool fact about Good Vibrations: Carl obviously sings lead on the verses, but the high notes are not him. "I hear the sound of a..." is Brian, and "...gentle word" is Carl again. "When I look..." is Brian, "...in her eyes" is Carl again. Brian was such a perfectionist at the time, if he thought a vocal from one of the other members was less than perfect he'd just do it himself. On all later live versions Carl effortlessly does the high notes, but you've got to remember that GV was only Carl's 5th ever lead vocal and he was still only 19 years old. On a sidenote: on the slow part ("Gotta keep those loving good vibrations a-happering with her"), Dennis plays the organ part.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »

It's the final track on the new Smile.

It is, but the remarkable thing is that it's mostly based on a version of GV that pre-dates the familiar hit version. The original GV lyrics were written by Mike Love, Tony Asher and Brian, on the hit version all Asher's lyrics were ditched and replaced by new lyrics by Mike. For some reason Brian decided to use the original lyrics for his 2004 version. Mike obviously didn't like that.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »

Right, Joost.  This is that early take of Good Vibrations in 1966...

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (Early Take)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »

Alexis, the first video is just a "music video" they did in 1967.  Dennis Wilson is having a good time miming the tambourine.  Bruce Johnston is playing the organ.  This is an interesting mix with the Jew's harp at 1:43.

There are a few live videos of Good Vibrations on YouTube, but none from the 60s.  I like this one from 1976.  Brian Wilson appeared on stage....

The beach boys -good vibrations

Thanks, nice!

Saw Paul and Linda at Brian's 34th birthday party in there briefly. Neat!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2010, 02:08:04 AM »

OK, this has the signs of something that could easily get out of hand.

I just read the (very) long wiki article on the Beach Boys. Good info for the unitiated.

Mike Love - is he bad, or just drawn that way? By the way, is he much older than the others?

So sad that Brian lost his two brothers.

Bruce Johnston is pretty amazing!

Wonder why Pet Sounds didn't sell lots?

Anyway, thanks for posting all that!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »

It did!  Pet Sounds went gold and platinum in 2000.   

God Only Knows

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2010, 12:28:45 PM »

Mike Love - is he bad, or just drawn that way?
A lot of Beach Boys fan don't like him, but I don't think he's as much of a bad guy as some people like to think. People dislike him for his lame sense of humor, because he's usually far from humble in interviews and because he often gave Brian and Dennis a hard time. But then again, I'm sure Brian and Dennis were often impossible to deal with. Even Carl got fed up with them in the mid/late 70s.

By the way, is he much older than the others?
Mike is 68 now, Brian and Al are 67, Dennis would've been 65 now and Carl 63.

Bruce Johnston is pretty amazing!
Then why are his solo albums almost unlistenable?

It did, it went to #2 in the UK and #10 in the US. But the previous Beach Boys albums all did better in the US, so it was a commercial failure but only relatively. I guess it just wasn't the music that people expected or wanted to hear from the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:32:14 PM by Joost »

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »

Quote from: alexis
Bruce Johnston seems incredible ...
Then why are his solo albums almost unlistenable?

I can't answer that, but, from his Wiki page:

Arranged and played a Billboard top 10 song while in high school; started a record production career one year later, and wound up producing a million seller "Hey Little Cobra"; wrote Billboard #1 song "I Write the Songs", covered by Barry Manilow, Frank Sinatra, and has sold 25 million records of it; wrote backing vocals and sang on recording of Elton John "Don't Let the Son go Down on Me" and Pink Floyd's "The Wall"; only Beach Boy with a Song of the Year Grammy.

He's shown he's got the writing chops, and the producing chops, why do you think he's dropped the ball on his solo work, Joost? Anyway, I'll definitely try before I buy when it comes to his solo stuff - thanks!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42

Page created in 0.621 seconds with 82 queries.