Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Wrecking Crew  (Read 19721 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:49 AM »

Hal Blaine is my favorite drummer of all time.

Hal Blaine

Hal Blaine
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 02:11:31 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 02:32:49 AM »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 06:52:44 AM »

My reference to The Beach Boys was not in connection to their early LPs but, specifically, 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile'.
Both wonderful but both heavily reliant on session musicians.

KelMar

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »

I'm a Wrecking Crew fanatic and cannot wait until the movie comes out. I have the book somewhere, but it's been awhile since I've read it. Hal Blaine is my favorite drummer of all time.

Cool, Todd! I still can't believe I knew nothing about them but I'll bet it's because I'm not a musician. I wonder when the DVD is going to be released. Netflix gives the date of the movie as 2008 but that doesn't seem right.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »

Cool, Todd! I still can't believe I knew nothing about them but I'll bet it's because I'm not a musician. I wonder when the DVD is going to be released. Netflix gives the date of the movie as 2008 but that doesn't seem right.

They've been talking about that movie for years. I don't know if its ever going to get made, released, or what, but I've been waiting for it for awhile now. Hope for the best.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 01:04:14 AM »

The project was successfully funded at Kickstarter in December:  "The Wrecking Crew" The Untold Story of Rock & Roll Heroes

They mention thratrical release in June 2014 with DVDs available shortly thereafter.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 02:33:34 AM »

I still can't believe I knew nothing about them but I'll bet it's because I'm not a musician.

Blues Brothers - all the epic lines

0:17

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 05:36:47 AM »

Howard Roberts

Howard Roberts - I Know A Place

The Wrecking Crew:

Howard Roberts - guitar
Larry Bunker - percussion
Charles Berghofer - bass
Charles Kynard - organ
Donald Peake, Thomas Tedesco - guitar
Carol Kaye - fender bass
Hal Blaine - drums

Howard Roberts (Rare Footage Of A True Legend) - Star Eyes

KelMar

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 06:49:42 AM »

So much incredible talent and such an eclectic mix of music represented here!

LOUIE SHELTON — ACE SESSION GUITARIST & PRODUCER

Hundreds of millions of people have heard him play without having heard of him. A veteran session guitarist, Louie Shelton played on a slew of million-selling records during his three decades in Los Angeles. His credits include female vocalists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Peggy Lee, Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, and Whitney Houston; soul stars James Brown, Smokey Robinson, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and the Jackson Five; blues legends Otis Spann, Solomon Burke, and T-Bone Walker; male vocalists Joe Cocker, Kenny Rogers, Neil Diamond, and Michael McDonald.

He’s responsible for the instantly recognizable guitar riff on the Monkees’ “Last Train to Clarksville” and the virtuoso runs on “Valleri.” He played on Boz Scaggs’ career-defining album Silk Degrees (Columbia, 1976) with the Grammy-winning song “Lowdown.” He knew Elvis Presley and was in the studio with Phil Spector and John Lennon. He also produced a string of gold and platinum albums for Seals & Crofts, including Summer Breeze (Warner Bros., 1972), an exquisitely produced classic that remained on the charts for 100 weeks.

After decades spent making others sound good, in 1995 he finally put his production expertise to use on a solo instrumental album. Thanks to his funky groove, his mastery of an extraordinarily wide range of styles and techniques, and his producer’s ear, this jazz guitar album has a great groove, lots of energy and considerable commercial appeal.  http://talking2musicians.com/

The Monkees Last Train to Clarksville

Valleri
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:19:22 AM by In My Life »

KelMar

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »

Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (1966)

Same year; different Sinatra...

Strangers in the Night

The Wrecking Crew's Hal Blaine: my 11 greatest recordings of all time
“I had a wonderful history of working with Frank, and later I got to work with his daughter Nancy, as well. The producer was Jimmy Bowen, and the arranger was Nelson Riddle – not a bad pair, those two.

“From a drummer’s standpoint, here’s what’s funny about this song: The beat I played on Be My Baby, which Phil Spector produced for The Ronettes, is the same beat I played on Strangers In The Night. ‘Boom-boo-boom-BANG! Boom-boo-boom-BANG!’ – exactly the same, only much softer.

“Everybody loved it. It fit the mood of the song perfectly. I didn’t tell Frank that I was using the Be My Baby beat. He never asked, so I didn’t think he had to know. With Frank, if he didn’t mention something, there was no reason you had to bring it up. Another Record Of The Year.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:20:42 AM by In My Life »

KelMar

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »

Blues Brothers - all the epic lines
0:17

You're funny! I just missed this movie the other night. I've got to watch it all the way through sometime!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »

My reference to The Beach Boys was not in connection to their early LPs but, specifically, 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile'.
Both wonderful but both heavily reliant on session musicians.

The early Beach Boys albums took about half a dozen sessions each to record. 'Pet Sounds' took about thirty sessions and 'Smile' roughly a hundred. That's hard to combine with up to 200 concerts a year. But of course, most of the session players did a much better job than The Beach Boys could've done on such complicated songs (I'm sure Brian and Bruce were perfectly capable of playing the piano parts on 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile' and that Carl could've pulled off quite some of the guitar parts, but that's pretty much it).

I don't really mind that the instruments weren't played by The Beach Boys on those albums, because each musician plays exactly what Brian told him to play. What you hear might not have been made with The Beach Boys' hands, but if all came out of a Beach Boys' head. And that's enough for me.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

KelMar

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 04:38:09 AM »

Is it live or is it Memorex?

The Monkees - Valleri " Official Video".

It's Louie! But The Monkees tried to make it look real.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 12:03:28 AM »

It's Louie! But The Monkees tried to make it look real.

Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork in 2011...

The Monkees Valleri Live at Sleep Country Ampitheater 7/9/11

:)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »

That's right Joost, I adore 'Smile' (the best record released in the 21st Century by an alarming distance), but the original point was that if such practice was rife in the record industry c. the mid-60s, why should The Monkees, in particular, have encountered so much criticism when is was 'discovered' that they didn't play all the instruments on all of their records!

It's one of the remarkable things about Brian Jones that most of the weird instruments that seemed to embellish The Stones' stuff in the mid-60s actually WERE played by him, and why, to my ears anyway, the post-Brain stuff is, at best, ho-hum.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:05 AM »

Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork in 2011...

The Monkees Valleri Live at Sleep Country Ampitheater 7/9/11

:)

Damn, they did that really good. They had some smoking musicians behind them (I guess they always did).
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 81 queries.