Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: McCartney's basses/guitars  (Read 35948 times)

Bobber

Re: McCartney's basses/guitars
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »

I would have to do some research on your question, Xose. Give me some time.

I've been searching for it. :)
It's been a sticky topic for a long time...

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »

It's been a sticky topic for a long time...

I realize there's a sticky topic on Paul's bass, but this thread hasn't been sticky-ed or merged with the other topic. I was just remembering this old thread when Xose started writing in it again.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 11:25:53 PM »

I would have to do some research on your question, Xose. Give me some time...

Brilliant!! ;) Thank you VERY much!! ;)

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:40 AM »

Brilliant!! ;) Thank you VERY much!! ;)

Xosé

I haven't done anything yet. lol

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 06:21:40 PM »

...Paul purchased his Rosetti in 1960, June the 30th. at Frank Hessy's music shop in Liverpool for £21. There is a reproduction of the HP book for this purchase at Andy Babiuk's book, page 33...

So..., could we listen to Paul McCartney's Rosetti?? I mean: The Silver Beatles recordings at 20, Forthlin Road...,* date June or July 1960??  ???

Any thoughts?? ???

Xosé

* How could I download them?? ???
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:24:15 PM by Xose »

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=8386.msg198468#msg198468 date=1228047724
Hofner Club 40

I have this same guitar!!! Exept mines sunburst, they don't have that colour anymore. And my pick guard is in the right spot ;) But I saw this at the guitar store and I just died over it ha2ha

Bobber

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 08:20:03 AM »

So..., could we listen to Paul McCartney's Rosetti?? I mean: The Silver Beatles recordings at 20, Forthlin Road...,* date June or July 1960??  ???

Any thoughts?? ???

Xosé

* How could I download them?? ???

There is the Braun-Kirchherr Tapes. It was uploaded here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=6596.msg152361#msg152361
Not sure if the links are still valid, but I can re-upload them for you if you want me to.

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »

Curiously enough he was also left-handed as Paul (=which bass used Chas Newby to play these gigs??).

This is a pic of Chas, I guess from around that time. Pity he's obviously playing a six string guitar here. I'll dig deeper.

Chas Newby. Found it on Chazz Avery's site:

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »

Hi Bobber!! ;)

There is the Braun-Kirchherr Tapes. It was uploaded here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=6596.msg152361#msg152361
Not sure if the links are still valid, but I can re-upload them for you if you want me to.

Thank you very much!! ;) It seems the links are still valid...

But I'm not sure if those recierdings were made after 31 June. Walter Everett, who has made the thorough research about them, place them in April...

This is a pic of Chas, I guess from around that time. Pity he's obviously playing a six string guitar here. I'll dig deeper...

Yes: I knew that pic. Thanks A LOT!! ;)

BTW: its said that "...In April 1960 during the school vacation Paul borrowed a neighbour's tape recorder to record the then-called 'Beatals' in his family home at No.20 Forthlin Road in Liverpool..."

The tape recorder was a Gründig TK 12 or TK 20 as the ones seen here, and used at some Cavern recordings as well...

But..., which is that device behind Paul & John here?? Is it not the same tape recorder?? ???

Best!! ;)

Xosé

Xosé
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:42:37 AM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »

Those recordings are indeed dated Spring 1960.

From Beatlology Magazine, September/October 2007. Interview with Chas Newby by Peter Stone:
[...]
PS: To play with The Beatles, did you really have to borrow a leather jacket and a bass guitar?
CN: That's right. I borrowed a bass and a leather jacket from a guy called Tom McGuirk [The Comets, The Pete Best Four]. Tom, I'd known earlier. He was playing with a band that was one of the regulars at the Casbah Club, at the time. So, I borrowed his right-handed Höfner bass and a leather jacket, because at that stage that's what The Beatles wore on stage - all leather stuff. They had leather trousers, cowboy boots, leather jackets, whatever. I managed to get the leather jacket and stood in the background.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 09:37:54 AM »

Those recordings are indeed dated Spring 1960.

From Beatlology Magazine, September/October 2007. Interview with Chas Newby by Peter Stone:
[...]
PS: To play with The Beatles, did you really have to borrow a leather jacket and a bass guitar?
CN: That's right. I borrowed a bass and a leather jacket from a guy called Tom McGuirk [The Comets, The Pete Best Four]. Tom, I'd known earlier. He was playing with a band that was one of the regulars at the Casbah Club, at the time. So, I borrowed his right-handed Höfner bass and a leather jacket, because at that stage that's what The Beatles wore on stage - all leather stuff. They had leather trousers, cowboy boots, leather jackets, whatever. I managed to get the leather jacket and stood in the background.

Brilliant!! ;)

Any pic of Tom McGuirk and/or The Comets?? ???

Best!! ;)

Xosé
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:42:55 AM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 10:08:19 AM »

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »

Thanks!! ;)

Now I have to find which Höfner model was the one used by Tom McGuirk in 1960 and there are two possibilities: a 500/5 like Sutcliffe's one or a 500/1 like McCartney's one...

Thanks!! ;)

Xosé

P.S.: I have ordered a copy of SEP/OCT 2007 Beatlology Magazine, but I can't see Peter Stone's interview to Chas Newby in the list of contents... ???
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:16:31 AM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:16 AM »

From the same interview:
PS: Considering your short association with The Beatles, your impact was career altering for The Beatles. You took over bass. You were a witness and a participant in the birth of Beatlemania. When you left the group after four shows, your departure changed the group forever. At their next gig, on January 5, 1961 at the Litherland Town Hall, Paul switched to bass [Solid 7] and the band became a quartet.
CN: I wasn't aware of that. I'm fishing in my memory here. But, Stuart was back sometime in [late February, 1961]. The first time I recall them being a quartet was when they got back from Germany the second time which would be in the middle of '61, when they'd done their stint. That was the time when Paul bought his left-handed Höfner. And, from then on, I remember then as being a quartet. From the four dates I played, I think Stuart came back and he must have played some dates [Stuart may have played with The Beatles on occasion, but The Beatles were a quartet, starting January 5, 1961], then they went out to Germany again, and then the next time they came back, Paul's playing bass and Stuart's decided to become an Art student again.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »

Hi!! ;)

From the same interview:
PS: Considering your short association with The Beatles, your impact was career altering for The Beatles. You took over bass. You were a witness and a participant in the birth of Beatlemania. When you left the group after four shows, your departure changed the group forever. At their next gig, on January 5, 1961 at the Litherland Town Hall, Paul switched to bass [Solid 7] and the band became a quartet.
CN: I wasn't aware of that. I'm fishing in my memory here. But, Stuart was back sometime in [late February, 1961]. The first time I recall them being a quartet was when they got back from Germany the second time which would be in the middle of '61, when they'd done their stint. That was the time when Paul bought his left-handed Höfner. And, from then on, I remember then as being a quartet. From the four dates I played, I think Stuart came back and he must have played some dates [Stuart may have played with The Beatles on occasion, but The Beatles were a quartet, starting January 5, 1961], then they went out to Germany again, and then the next time they came back, Paul's playing bass and Stuart's decided to become an Art student again.

Thanks again!! ;)

The fact is that there are only two pictures of Paul playing his Solid 7 in Liverpool, both at The Casbah, and presumably from the same day: 1961, February the 12th. Stu is there as well, so..., how many gigs did they as a quartet at those days??

Xosé

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »

Andy Babiuk, page 47:

"...Several Liverpudlian bands of the era interviewed for this book went to see The Beatles while Sutcliffe was in the group and remember McCartney with his three-string bass plugged in, but with the other end of the lead (cord) stuffed into his jacket pocket and not plugged into an amp at all. This may explain how the group overcame the sonic problem of two bass players. McCartney himself confirmed the practice when asked about his falling-apart Rosetti. 'I used to...piece it together and plug it but not plug it in, [that is to say I would] just play it not plugged in'..."

This could mean that in this picture the Rosetti could not be sounding through an amp, and the same could be happening here...

At these pictures the Rosetti has been re-strung with six strings and another pick up (=possibly a DeArmond one). But..., what about Paul McCartney's chords with his right hand?? They seem to be the same all the time... ???

Here we see four guitars (=Stu's Höfner bass, John's Rick, Paul's Rosetti and George's Futurama) and only three amps (=George's Selmer Truvoice, Stu's Gibson GA-40 Les Paul and John's Fender Deluxe...) ???

Xosé
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:13:12 AM by Xose »

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »

Here we see four guitars (=Stu's Höfner bass, John's Rick, Paul's Rosetti and George's Futurama) and only three amps (=George's Selmer Truvoice, Stu's Gibson GA-40 Les Paul and John's Fender Deluxe...) ???

Xosé

isnt this the time that paul played the piano and playbacked with his guitar when he had to sing up front?
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 12:28:24 PM »

isnt this the time that paul played the piano and playbacked with his guitar when he had to sing up front?

Not exactly. IMHO at those Top Ten season (=April 1961) he didn't playbacked with his guitar (=although he did it earlier in Liverpool in January-March), because a new pick up was attached to the Rosetti: a DeArmond one. At these photos the new pick up is seen with all the cable/wire stuff, and a lead is plugged into the amp...

Best!! ;)

Xosé
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:33:02 PM by Xose »

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »

And finally Sir Paul McCartney's sound in 1961, February the 12th., at The Casbah:

A copy of his 1st bass (=Rosetti guitar + three piano strings + a made by Fuma pick up) and a microphone like the one he sang to...

Best!! ;)

Xosé

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:56:57 PM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »

So..., could we listen to Paul McCartney's Rosetti?? I mean: The Silver Beatles recordings at 20, Forthlin Road...,* date June or July 1960??  ???

Any thoughts?? ???

Unfortunately there's no such thing known. Although we once had a member here who told us he had recordings of The Beatles playing in the Indra Club in Hamburg, recordings like that are believed to be non-existing. There's the recording now known as the Braun-Kirchherr Tapes, Spring 1960. I believe that the next recording are the songs with Tony Sheridan.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:51:55 AM by Bobber »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 1.083 seconds with 79 queries.