Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anthology 4 ????  When, When, When?!  (Read 8457 times)

Re: Anthology 4 ????  When, When, When?!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 11:04:12 PM »

I've always heard of that infamous "Carnival" tape--from Paul's early experimental period (spurred by the musical influences of John Cage and his then association w/ renown surrealists during his Indica gallery stage)so I'm very interested in hearing that, but I have no interest whatsoever in hearing a protracted version of "Helter Skelter", which I assume (having never heard anything other than the official White Album take and the Anthology version), would be nothing more than a long drawn out and uninspired jam...(unlike the brillaint fade on "Jude")
I'm quite happy with the "abridged" version of H.S. I've always known...the less reminder of the Manson association, the better....(IMO)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 11:09:34 PM »

Quote from: 829
I've always heard of that infamous "Carnival" tape--from Paul's early experimental period (spurred by the musical influences of John Cage and his then association w/ renown surrealists during his Indica gallery stage)so I'm very interested in hearing that, but I have no interest whatsoever in hearing a protracted version of "Helter Skelter", which I assume (having never heard anything other than the official White Album take and the Anthology version), would be nothing more than a long drawn out and uninspired jam...(unlike the brillaint fade on "Jude")
I'm quite happy with the "abridged" version of H.S. I've always known...the less reminder of the Manson association, the better....(IMO)

I think - though I'm too lazy to look it up - that the Anthology version of HS is an edit from the 27 minute take.

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 11:44:12 PM »

Quote from: 483

I think - though I'm too lazy to look it up - that the Anthology version of HS is an edit from the 27 minute take.

I'll take your word for it. As for me, I dont want to hear ANY 27 min. version of it. It's monotonous to my ear...which is SO uncharacteristic of the band I love the most. But without "splitting hairs" about relative differences of takes of the song, Helter Skelter is essentially, IMO, an example of an early heavy metal song--something one doesnt readily associate w/ the Beatles (although they were extremely eclectic), this song--apart from it's demonic association which I dont put much stock in, has always been a lot of noise to me. I detest it. When I want heavy metal, I put on Zeppelin. This is not the Fab's forte. McCartney is more Cole Porter than Robert Plant.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 02:52:29 AM »

We'll never get an official Anthology 4, but with all the stuff that's floating around the internet these days, some enterprising bootlegger may well compile one.

[nudge,nudge]

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 09:51:36 AM »

There is so much available on good quality Bootlegs now - Ebbett's/TOUP/Purple Chick/Lazy Tortoise etc. - that there really is no need for an Anthology 4. It would just be more outtakes of the same songs anyway. And whilæst the hardcore fans would love it, the media would slate them for it.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »

There is so much available on good quality Bootlegs now - Ebbett's/TOUP/Purple Chick/Lazy Tortoise etc. - that there really is no need for an Anthology 4. It would just be more outtakes of the same songs anyway. And whilæst the hardcore fans would love it, the media would slate them for it.

Agree totally, but I'd love to see a good unofficial release. I'll probably eventually compile one for my own use, just to get the best bits all in one place.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 04:33:51 AM »

Quote from: 1161

Agree totally, but I'd love to see a good unofficial release. I'll probably eventually compile one for my own use, just to get the best bits all in one place.

There are unofficial Anthologies.

Anthology More
http://www.bootlegzone.com/files.php?section=1&sort=1
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=tbam2&section=1

Anthology Plus
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=iu9750_2&section=1
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=iu9750_1&section=1

And plenty more than that.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 06:20:21 AM »

There are unofficial Anthologies.

Thanks for the tip. I remember seeing copies of Artifacts (actually a pre-Anthology set, I think) and Anthology Plus at a shop in Toronto about ten years ago. I was sorely tempted to buy them, but the asking price was insane. Those sets are good starts, but in these post- Purple Chick days, I suspect there's a better collection to be made. Those PC sets are amazing.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 06:28:24 AM »

Quote from: 1161
but in these post- Purple Chick days, I suspect there's a better collection to be made. Those PC sets are amazing.

They are my standard Beatles references now. The 'official' CD's have been consigned to the loft.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 06:38:31 AM »

They are my standard Beatles references now. The 'official' CD's have been consigned to the loft.

Same here. The main discs are still on my computer as WAV files. Apple/EMI won't do half as good a job when or if they ever get around to issuing a remastered series. EMI have the benefit of having the master tapes, of course, but that's the only advantage their sets will have.

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »

the 3 official Anthologies were excellent. i believe that the best stuff is already out on these 3 albums. A 4th album would only comprise of things rejected from those albums so whats the point? if we're not getting anthing better than we've already got, who needs it?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »

Quote from: 625
the 3 official Anthologies were excellent. i believe that the best stuff is already out on these 3 albums. A 4th album would only comprise of things rejected from those albums so whats the point? if we're not getting anthing better than we've already got, who needs it?

Exactly. If you want it, there's plenty of bootlegs out there.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 12:22:22 AM »

Offhand, the only thing I can think of that might be worth an official release is the demo of "Love Of The Loved" from the Decca audition. Glyn Johns' four minute mix of "Dig It" from Get Back is worth having for completeness's sake, and some of the Kinfauns demos are good too, though again probably only of interest to completists.

By the way, the presence of three or four new Kinfauns demos on Anthology 3 not included on the bootleg version suggests that there may be more of these to be had.

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »

Relese it all and let everyone screw it to their own deviances...
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 62 queries.