Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gibson inspired by John  (Read 2331 times)

Bobber

Gibson inspired by John
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:54:22 AM »

John Lennon Inspires New Guitar

Gibson releases a limited edition Les Paul.

The Gibson Guitar Custom Shop has announced plans to release a limited edition guitar inspired by the Les Paul model John Lennon used to play.

Modeled after the modified 1950s Gibson single-cutaway Les Paul Junior with the Charlie Christian pickup that Lennon used most famously at New York's Madison Square Garden on August 30, 1972.

The Gibson Custom Shop has worked with Yoko Ono in the recreation of this famous modified Les Paul Junior guitar. As Lennon's widow, she approved a complete hands-on review of the original for the design team to use as a thorough reference point for their newly designed Inspired By guitar. The Custom Shop's Inspired By Les Paul guitar is aged to look just like Lennon's original Les Paul Junior once it was sanded down to the solid mahogany body and includes the famous Charlie Christian pickup installed in the neck position as well as aged chrome hardware.

Only 300 of the limited-edition guitars will be made and each will be accompanied by a Custom Shop guitar case and a certificate of authenticity in a special army green cloth folder with John's autograph embroidered on the cover. In addition, the Lennon fans who purchase this guitar will receive an article that includes an interview with guitar luthier Ron DeMarino (who aided Lennon in the customization of the guitar) by Andy Babiuk, author of The Beatles Gear, as well as a signed Lennon print by famed artist Allison Lefcort, and Lennon's famous "New York City" T-shirt.

As for the original guitar, it is on permanent display at the John Lennon Museum in Japan and will also be unveiled at a special event at the Gibson Japan Showroom in Tokyo, Japan in early August 2007.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: Gibson inspired by John
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:01:34 AM »

How much?

I really wish I'd saved my pennies for that Lennon-stock Rickenbacker a few years back. I saw one last year and it is bloody lovely!

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:07:11 AM »

Start saving, Alan:

Gibson's John Lennon Inspired By Les Paul Specifications

Model: John Lennon Les Paul

Pickups: P-90 Single Coil in the bridge position & Charlie Christian in the neck position

Hardware: Aged Chrome

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Scale: 24 3/4

Nut Width: 1.689"

Nut: Corian

Bridge: Chrome ABR-1 with stopbar tailpiece (holes from original wrap tailpiece are plugged)

Neck Material: One-Piece Mahogany with Long Neck Tenon

Body Material: Solid Mahogany

Controls: Single volume, single tone, 3-way pickup switch

Color: Faded Cherry

MSRP: $7,527

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:11:18 AM »

This is really stretching it isn't it? He only ever seems to have played it at MSG in 1972. I've never seen him with a Les Paul at any other time.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »

Quote from: 63
Start saving, Alan:

MSRP: $7,527

Bloody hell!!  :o

Here are the details of the Ltd Edition Lennon Rickenbacker produced in 1990:

John Lennon Limited Edition; Rickenbacker Introduces New Guitar : 325JL, 355JL, 355/12JL  

Rickenbacker International Corporation announces the acceptance of orders for the John Lennon Limited Edition. As a rock 'n roll legend and spokesperson for world peace, John Lennon used the Rickenbacker sound almost exclusively during his early days with the Beatles.

The John Lennon Limited Edition, Model 325JL, is entirely handmade in America from solid Eastern Rock Maple with a rosewood fingerboard on a three quarter scale neck complimented with three vintage Rickenbacker pickups. The instrument comes standard with vintage vibrato. This series offers features which make it unique within the Rickenbacker product line. The Company located some of the original tooling to insure faithful recreation of the headstock, pickguard and nameplate. Also offered are the 355 JL and the 355/12 JL. The 355 JL is a full scale version of the 325 JL and the 355/12 JL is its 12-string compliment. Both guitars feature trapeze tailpiece. A special "vintage" case will be available with silver covering and crushed velvet interior similar to the original.

The Company will manufacture only 2000 instruments from this series.

The models will be formally introduced at the 1990 Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim. Pricing will be announced at the Show. Each guitar will be accompanied by an individually numbered Certificate of Authenticity and Origin. Production deliveries and certificate numbers will follow order sequence.

Final production totals...

Model - Quantity

325JL - 953
325JL LH - 21
355JL - 660
355JL LH - 8
355JL VB - 23
355/12JL - 329
355/12JL LH - 5

Unit number one was delivered to Yoko Ono, who reportedly had the instrument specially decorated by artist Peter Max, before presenting the guitar to Sean Lennon as a birthday gift.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 11:34:05 AM »

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 02:12:38 PM »

Small but effective ....  ;)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 06:47:54 PM »

Well, it's MSRP and should sell for less.  But you can get a 1957 Le Paul Jr. for $6,000:

Gruhn Guitars
I can stay till it's time to go

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 02:16:58 PM »

Quote from: 360
I wonder how much this will finish on!! It's on 1,250.00 GBP at the moment (US $2,556)!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rickenbacker-325-C59-JG-john-lennon-guitar-with-case_W0QQitemZ330147183530QQihZ014QQcategoryZ41439QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Yummy  :K)

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »

Really is isn't it! It's not a bad price at the moment either!

You had a Rickenbacker didn't you Lee - which model was that? A 360?

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:01:19 PM »

oh i forgot that i replied to a post here Al lol .. sry ive taken so long to reply but mine is based on the 325 3/4 scale

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 59 queries.