Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Man Who Gave the Beatles Away, by A. Williams  (Read 8435 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
The Man Who Gave the Beatles Away, by A. Williams
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »

Does anybody has this book?? I need a piece of information which -I presume- is included there...

Thank you in advance!! :)

Xose
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: The Man Who Gave the Beatles Away, by A. Williams
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 01:18:35 AM »

What's your question? What are you trying to find out?  :)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:03:16 AM »

don't get bill started!!! ;D

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »

I have it too, but I shouldn't rely too much on the book. Even Paul McCartney -not particularly known for his good memory himself- said about Allan's book: 'Nice book Allan. Some small parts of it are actually true.'  Or something like that.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »

I've got the book.
What would you like to know Xose?

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »

Quote from: 1161
What's your question? What are you trying to find out?...

Quote from: 63
I have it too...

Quote from: 410
I've got the book.
What would you like to know Xose?

Thank yoy very much!! ;) It's FANTASTIC for me having found all of you on this wonderful site... ;)

I need ALL the pages (=I don't know really how many they are. Maybe only one), or ALL the information dealing with The Beatles (=at that time JL, PM, GH and Stuart Sutcliffe) playing at New Cabaret Artist Club (=owned by Allan Williams) in LIverpool (=July 1960), backing a stripper named Janice.

Could you help me?? :o

Thank you in advance and best wishes!! :)

Xose

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:24:14 AM »

Allan Williams paid Bob Azurdia, the Mersey Beat columnist to write his story. Allan later gave the the manuscript to me and I still have it. The Beatles are hardly mentioned in it. Bill Marshall, the Daily Mirror correspondent who was based in Liverpool then, was a friend of Allan's and always in the Blue Angel. The two of them came into the Mersey Beat office to see what Virginia and O were doing and laughed at us, saying it was ridiculous. Remember, initially, we, the Beatles and other members of the local scene were banned from the Blue Angel as Allan wanted it to become a sophisticated night club! Then, when the Beatles became mega, Marshall suggested he ghost Allan's book. In the early 1980s I arranged for Bill to interview Kim Wilde as he was now based in London. I brought the book along for him to sign. He told me it was mainly his book because he made so much of it up. You only have to see the beginning where he wrote that Allan was their manager and had the contracts, slightly singed and burnt, to prove it. What he forgot to mention was that they were not management contracts, they were just the agency contracts Allan had done to book the Beatles into Hamburg. He called himself an agent at the time, not manager.
Paul McCartney wrote the story of them backing Janice the stripper in a detailed letter to me, which I published in Mersey Beat. It's reproduced in full in the 'Beatles' section of my site www.mersey-beat.com. The stripper's name was Janice, but in 'The Man Who Gave the Beatles Away' I think Allan/Bill got the name wrong and called her Shirley - this is probably because Allan couldnt remember and Bill then made a name up.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:32:07 AM »

Dear Bill,

Quote from: 1062
Allan Williams paid Bob Azurdia, the Mersey Beat columnist to write his story. Allan later gave the the manuscript to me and I still have it. The Beatles are hardly mentioned in it. Bill Marshall, the Daily Mirror correspondent who was based in Liverpool then, was a friend of Allan's and always in the Blue Angel. The two of them came into the Mersey Beat office to see what Virginia and O were doing and laughed at us, saying it was ridiculous. Remember, initially, we, the Beatles and other members of the local scene were banned from the Blue Angel as Allan wanted it to become a sophisticated night club! Then, when the Beatles became mega, Marshall suggested he ghost Allan's book. In the early 1980s I arranged for Bill to interview Kim Wilde as he was now based in London. I brought the book along for him to sign. He told me it was mainly his book because he made so much of it up. You only have to see the beginning where he wrote that Allan was their manager and had the contracts, slightly singed and burnt, to prove it. What he forgot to mention was that they were not management contracts, they were just the agency contracts Allan had done to book the Beatles into Hamburg. He called himself an agent at the time, not manager.
Paul McCartney wrote the story of them backing Janice the stripper in a detailed letter to me, which I published in Mersey Beat. It's reproduced in full in the 'Beatles' section of my site www.mersey-beat.com. The stripper's name was Janice, but in 'The Man Who Gave the Beatles Away' I think Allan/Bill got the name wrong and called her Shirley - this is probably because Allan couldnt remember and Bill then made a name up.

Thank you very much for your info!! ;)

I have read somewhere that Allan said (=I thought it was in his book, and that is why I have asked for it) that an album named Holiday in Spain, which included the 'Espana Cani' song, was known in England at that time and that -always according to Williams- the album could be known by The Beatles at those times.. Could you, please, give me more information about this subject??

Thank you in advance and best wishes!! ;)

Xose

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 01:59:42 PM »

I've just re-read the chapter in question. Yes in the book the stripper is called Shirley whereas her real name was apparently Janice. (Thanks Bill).
Anyway no mention of Holiday In Spain.In any case  Allen Williams' book is not the sort if book where you'd expect to find such detailed musical information.
Sorry to disappoint you Xose!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »

now you did it Bill....there are people out there that believe a lot of that crap printed in that "bloomin' book"....
it never really jived with most other accounts from back then but it had what the rest didn't leachies pictures...fans never had access to some of them until allan...i only bought it for the pictures anyways i can't read or write.... ;)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »

Quote from: 410
I've just re-read the chapter in question. Yes in the book the stripper is called Shirley whereas her real name was apparently Janice. (Thanks Bill).
Anyway no mention of Holiday In Spain.In any case  Allen Williams' book is not the sort if book where you'd expect to find such detailed musical information.
Sorry to disappoint you Xose!

Thank you anyway!! ;)

I hope to find that information. Maybe Bill Harry can help me?? With no doubt he is 'the man' to provide it...

Best!! ;)

Xose

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »

Do you mean

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »

Hi again Bill,

Do you mean

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 05:14:05 PM »

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »

Hi again Bill, ;)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:48 AM »

paul said they had either purple or lilac jackets...she wanted them to do beethoven,the sabre dance and the spanish fire dance..they played instead semptember song,moonglow and ramrod....location near upper parliment street...alan said they did 2 sets a night for a week with paul on drums....here is a better book than allan...http://books.google.com/books?id=pEHNfqJZYTYC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=Spanish+dance+troupe+at+Blue+Angel+liverpool+allan+williams&source=web&ots=VJZ3lYw8tm&sig=Qjpc3TUZb_sTD7fp3X4YaZi2BrQ&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPP1,M1

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 01:45:55 AM »

I think the leader was called Antonio.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »

Hi Bill, ;)

I think the leader was called Antonio.

Aha... Thank you very much!! ;)

It could be Antonio Ruiz Soler (1921-1996) 'el bailarin', very known around the world since the fourties, and the troupe name Antonio Ballet Espanol...

See http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Ruiz_Soler

BTW: a photo of Lew Raymond's Holiday in Spain:

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390021346561

Do you remember it??

if you know of more info concerning that subject, please let me know..., ok??

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help!! ;)

Of course, I will cite you when I read my paper...

Best,

Xose

Bobber

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »

Found this picture of Allan Williams (with the beard  ;D ) and supposedly Janice the stripper.

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 66 queries.