Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Frank Sinatra  (Read 11889 times)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
Re: Frank Sinatra
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 12:54:27 AM »

I respect him and all, but I really can't stand listening to his music. It's not any particular thing, just the vibe I get from it - that serious, macho attitude turns me off. I guess I like my music to be more laid-back. To give an example, I prefer Robbie Williams' and Nicole Kidman's cover of Something Stupid. It's just....dunno, more fun to listen to. I confess to never hearing a full album of his though, just the ocasional song.

He sings about lonlieness and heartache a lot more than most people realize.  I don't hear macho posturing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:53:40 AM by ibanez_ax »
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 12:55:44 AM »

I can understand what you're saying Ovi. I have mixed feelings about him. I do really like a lot of his music but I don't think I would have wanted to ever meet him!

I would rather have met him than Van Morrison.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 01:01:42 AM »

I respect him and all, but I really can't stand listening to his music. It's not any particular thing, just the vibe I get from it - that serious, macho attitude turns me off. I guess I like my music to be more laid-back. To give an example, I prefer Robbie Williams' and Nicole Kidman's cover of Something Stupid. It's just....dunno, more fun to listen to. I confess to never hearing a full album of his though, just the ocasional song.

Then you're not really in a position to judge his music, Ovi.  But it's good of you to admit that.

I can understand what you're saying Ovi. I have mixed feelings about him. I do really like a lot of his music but I don't think I would have wanted to ever meet him!

I met him once.  I can tell you that he is a man full of contradictitions and mood swings.  But he was wise and genuinely concerned about his fellow man.  At the end of World War II, Frank Sinatra along with several others in show business made strong statements against the rampant prejudice existent at that time.  He's most noted for this short film he made in 1945...

The House I Live In - with Frank Sinatra

The House I Live In   1945

He was a philanthropist and donated millions of dollars for worthy causes, most notably hospital buildings here and abroad.  I learned medicine and surgery in an auditorium donated by him to a major university in New York City.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 02:53:51 AM »

I don't hear macho posturing.

Me neither.  Certainly not in his singing.

KelMar

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 04:35:13 AM »

He sings about lonlieness and heartache a lot more than most people realze.  I don't hear macho posturing.

He does seem to have a certain reputation regarding his attitude toward women but that's not always a fair way to judge people. In looking around the Internet I saw some quotes attributed to him that seem to indicate that he did indeed respect and admire women. I just don't care for the term "broad" and he seemed to use that quite often! But I do like his music a lot.

KelMar

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 04:44:23 AM »

I met him once.

Yes, I remember that you did.

I can tell you that he is a man full of contradictitions and mood swings.

I guess meeting him wouldn't have been bad but the thought of spending large amounts of time around moody people makes me really nervous. I feel the same way about John Lennon. I'm glad to hear of the good that Frank Sinatra did.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 06:35:24 AM »

The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 06:57:42 AM »

He sings about lonlieness and heartache a lot more than most people realze.

Frank Sinatra - It Was A Very Good Year (1965)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 12:09:25 PM »

He sings about lonlieness and heartache a lot more than most people realize.  I don't hear macho posturing.

I was not necessarily referring to the themes he's addressing, but rather his style of singing and the backing arrangements. It was a poor choice of words. I don't know, I just don't feel like his music would be my thing, from what I've heard.

Then you're not really in a position to judge his music, Ovi.

A bit harsh, but ultimately I agree with the fact that we shouldn't judge artists based on the radio hits. It's just that nothing I've heard so far convinced me of exploring his albums. Maybe I'm not listening to the right tunes.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »

I was not necessarily referring to the themes he's addressing, but rather his style of singing and the backing arrangements. It was a poor choice of words. I don't know, I just don't feel like his music would be my thing, from what I've heard.

Fair enough. 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

I'm the proud owner of precisely no, nil, nought, zip, zero Frank Sinatra/rat pack records.
Now Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, Crickets, Carl Perkins, Elvis, Larry Williams........that's a different story.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »

A bit harsh, but ultimately I agree with the fact that we shouldn't judge artists based on the radio hits. It's just that nothing I've heard so far convinced me of exploring his albums. Maybe I'm not listening to the right tunes.

What I fully said was not harsh at all.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

KelMar

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 03:29:02 AM »

On March 18, 1939, Sinatra made a demo recording of a song called "Our Love", with the Frank Mane band. The record has "Frank Sinatra" signed on the front. The bandleader kept the original record in a safe for nearly 60 years. Frank Sinatra by Jean-Pierre Hombach

https://youtu.be/ZBgrFV7VhVM
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.84 seconds with 66 queries.