Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mono or Stereo?  (Read 37519 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Mono or Stereo?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 12:34:03 AM »

So George Martin was crazy when he said that you haven't heard Sgt. Pepper until you have heard it in mono?

Hmmm....

When the f*** did I say George Martin was crazy?

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 05:19:18 AM »

Okay, you did not say George Martin is crazy. It is just that you made the comment that I think is very strong in that you said that mono sucks.

As I quoted Mr Martin, he believes that the mono is superior.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 12:00:44 AM »

I prefer the layering that stereo provides. . .  I enjoy lying in my bed and picking out the bass line and whatever intricacies there are to be had. But there is something about the mono mixes that is hard to explain. It feels so pure and innocent I guess. Please Please Me in stereo is nice but there's something about the texture of it in mono that makes you want to love it more. Beatles for Sale same way. I love being able to hear the parts but there is something about the ealier albums in mono. Help! and beyond I prefer in stereo but still enjoy the mono.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 12:06:34 AM »

Okay, you did not say George Martin is crazy. It is just that you made the comment that I think is very strong in that you said that mono sucks.

As I quoted Mr Martin, he believes that the mono is superior.

I do think that mono sucks. I prefer stereo. I cant help it that I like stereo better.

Just because George Martin prefers mono means that nobody else is allowed to have an opinion?

Bobber

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 12:04:57 PM »

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »

I do think that mono sucks. I prefer stereo. I cant help it that I like stereo better.

Just because George Martin prefers mono means that nobody else is allowed to have an opinion?

Of course, you are allowed to have an opinion, and you should rightly defend it. If I denied your opinion, then I would be by extension be denying my own opinion.

If you feel that the stereo is better, there is nothing wrong with that. Why do you feel that the "mono sucks"?

In referring to George Martin, I was just saying that his opinion should be weighed heavily. He does know what he is talking about. As he has an opinion that should be respected so should yours.

There are some cases where I feel the stereo is easier on the ears. As the article that Bobber referred to they are both interesting to listen to. I view each version as different. They each have their qualities. I like to hear other's opinions, I just do not like when someone makes a blanket statement without any reason behind it.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 11:07:18 PM »

I'm more interested in the later ones in mono being on cd at last (pepper, white album), they
sound much better to me in mono. and thinking how low the frequency on Happiness is a Warm
Gun sounded in stereo sounds much tighter and better in mono. and they have improved it on the
new Stereo Remaster.

they have done a great job with the new stereo remaster of Beatles For Sale though. :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 11:11:16 PM »

they have done a great job with the new stereo remaster of Beatles For Sale though. :)

The stereo version has always sounded better. The mono version has a lot of compression on it. You can hear the space between the instruments on the stereo version. In all of the versions that I have heard, I have always preferred the stereo of this album, hands down.

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
Wiki
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 03:43:51 AM »

Kind of like this analysis of the remasters despite a glaring over-site  :)

Mono & Stereo analysis

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 12:56:26 AM »

My desision on box sets:

Me: Hey dad! Will you buy me the Mono box set of Beatles albums?!
My dad: No. But I will buy you stereo.

So yeah. Not too much to think about there  ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 01:25:36 AM »

I got the stereo box set for my birthday, but I havent bothered to listen to it yet. I'll comment once I do.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 03:18:24 AM »

I still havent opened the set yet. Isnt that horrible? I have a million things to listen to (I havent forgotten about you Rick) and just not enough time to get through them. i bought ringos new one a few days ago and only got through the first 4 songs before i got interrupted. just not enough time in the day.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 05:24:51 AM »

I still havent opened the set yet. Isnt that horrible? I have a million things to listen to (I havent forgotten about you Rick) and just not enough time to get through them. i bought ringos new one a few days ago and only got through the first 4 songs before i got interrupted. just not enough time in the day.
Nay problemo sir...I know how it gets...if you do listen...listen from about half way! lol ;)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »

I like to pick the different instruments out on the different channels and I like how the music is layered in stereo. Mono just throws everything on top of each other and sounds bland to me.

I'm siding with technology on this one ladies.

I totally agree with this.  Beatles started in mono, because that was the technology they had.  North America was well ahead of them in Stereo.

Unfortunately, the first couple of albums in stereo aren't separated the best, but overall, you can't beat stereo sound, sorry.
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 09:20:03 AM »

Mono up to and including Beatles for Sale, then stereo.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 04:41:15 PM »

I found "Beatles For Sale" not quite as clear a recording as even the older albums. Not sure what it is, or if it's just me!  Even the US Capitol songs of "Beatles '65" (although dexterized) sound better than Beatles For Sale.

Is it just me  ???

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 12:18:34 AM »

I agree.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »

I’ll give the new 2105 Beatles 1 a bit of a compliment.  Some of the songs that had the vocals on 1 stereo channel, have now been moved more to the centre, to sound more like the mono recordings.  Not saying they are better, just different.

You can prevue them for free in iTunes before you decide to buy!  icon_king

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 11:26:26 AM »

I’ll give the new 2105 Beatles 1 a bit of a compliment.  Some of the songs that had the vocals on 1 stereo channel, have now been moved more to the centre, to sound more like the mono recordings.  Not saying they are better, just different.
And I like when the things are different!  glassesslip
I like little surprises... The orchestra crescendos sound more clear on '1'.
And Penny Lane sounds great.  :)

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »

Overall, I like having both Mono & Stereo on my iPod so that I can hear whichever I prefer to listen to at the time.  Same with the N.A. CD's to hear the dexterized versions and different songs on different albums, than the U.K. versions.

Even The U.K. Stereo sounds different the N.A. Stereo, to give you diversity! ;yes

SO, THE MORE BEATLES, THE MARIER!!!!!!!!  icon_king
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 1.317 seconds with 91 queries.