Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: India Will be Learning Experience: Yoko Ono  (Read 751 times)

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
India Will be Learning Experience: Yoko Ono
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »

Outlook
January 12, 2012
India Will be Learning Experience: Yoko Ono

Artist and musician Yoko Ono is showcasing in India a new special project that pays tribute to Indian women, in her first visit to the country after the death of late husband and Beatles' legend John Lennon.The project comprises an exhibition titled "Our Beautiful Daughters," a series of public art projects spread over 20 venues including schools and hospitals in the city and "To India with love", a performance by the Ono who is renowned for her conceptual and live art work."I did not bring anything to India apart from myself. This visit will be a great learning experience... This beautiful very very grand land will teach me," said Ono here today, a day before the unveiling of her first ever exhibition in the country at the Vadehra Art Gallery here.Sitting against backdrop of a white canvas sporting two words 'Dream' in English and 'Sapna' in Hindi, the 78-year-old.Japanese born artist dressed in a black suit and sporting a hat and trademark sunglasses, told reporters that she is here on a 10-day visit to explore experiences of women in society."I am very very happy to be here...It is fantastic that India has already woken up already to women in the art field..... I have to learn a lot from them about what is happening in India," she said.

http://news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=747445

HindustanTimes
january 12, 2012
Yoko Ono Lennon comes to the Capital

Starting this weekend, the Capital will be painted in the colours of Yoko Ono, avant-garde Japanese artist, activist and musician. A key figure during the Fluxus movement in the 1960s, there has been a revival in the interest in Ono’s works in the past decade. A keen peace activist, Ono, who is the wife of late Beatles legend John Lennon, was awarded the prestigious Golden Lion award for Lifetime Achievement from the Venice Biennale in 2009 and recently got the Hiroshima Art Prize.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Lifestyle/ArtAndCulture/Yoko-Ono-Lennon-comes-to-the-Capital/Article1-795647.aspx
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
Re: India Will be Learning Experience: Yoko Ono
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »

India Today
January 14,2012
Yoko Ono bonds with Bikaner craftswomen

For an artist and performer with a history of causing shock and awe, 78-year-old Yoko Ono oozed grandmotherly vibes as she bonded with eight woman embroiderers from Bikaner at the Vadehra Art Gallery in Okhla.The fire was in her spirit and not in her body language as she championed the cause of the exploited Everywoman. She's in the city to work on an elaborate project called 'Our Beautiful Daughters'. A highlight of this multi-exhibition project is the installation of female body parts created out of silicon and packed in coffin-like boxes filled with charcoal. It's called 'Remember Us' and is scattered in a room whose bare walls are gaily decorated with colourful odhnis hand-embroidered by the women from Bikaner.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/yoko-ono-new-delhi-bikaner-vadehra-art-gallery-okhla/1/168809.html

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages
Re: India Will be Learning Experience: Yoko Ono
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »

Deccanherald
January 16, 2012
My art reflects my affair with Lennon: Yoko Ono

From the "world's most famous unknown artist" to the "woman who broke up the Beatles", Yoko Ono has had her share of bouquets and brickbats.The conceptual artist, who is putting up her maiden exhibition in India, says her work is an extension of her "karmic love affair" with late Beatles icon John Lennon."Yes...I met him at an art show. He was recording music at his studio on 3, Abbey Road. Number three is a number connected to music. He came to 6, Mason Yard where I was having my gallery show. Six is a number of love. It was the beginning of a life-long  love affair, and karmic too," Ono told IANS in an interview during her visit to India.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/219590/my-art-reflects-my-affair.html

The New York Times International Tribune
January 15, 2012
At Yoko’s Show, Funeral Pyres and Tributes to Mommy

Yoko Ono’s first exhibition in India, called “Our Beautiful Daughters,” at the Vadehra Art Gallery in New Delhi, could also be called “Art Under Construction.”  All seven exhibits in the show, which opened Thursday night, ask the spectators to participate in them.“Remember Us” on the first floor is the special installation Ms. Ono made for India, consisting of a large, dimly lit room with casts of beheaded, dismembered women’s bodies of different ages laid on pyrelike platforms. Small containers of ash at one end of the room seem to invite viewers to rub it on themselves or the bodies. At the end of the day, the bodies are covered with traditionally embroidered cloth made by Indian artisans – an important part of the art installation. One wall has “I am uncursed” splashed across it in black paint in different languages. Sounds from the Indian streets form the aural backdrop, making the experience at once provocative and surreal.

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/at-yokos-show-funeral-pyres-and-tributes-to-mommy/

The Times of India
The world is realising it was unwise to ignore woman-power'
Janauary 16, 2012

Yoko Ono was once described by her husband John Lennon as 'the world's most famous unknown artist'. The last time she visited India in the 1970s, legend has it that Lennon and she locked themselves up in a Mumbai hotel suite - for five undisturbed days. But in the public eye for her own work today, the avant-garde conceptual and performance artist returns to India for her first show here. Ono spoke with Neelam Raaj about art, acti-vism and woman-power, surviving Lennon - and how she felt on being blamed for breaking up the Beatles: What memories do you have of your first India visit with John Lennon?

After he got back from his trip to Rishikesh with the three Beatles, John told me what he liked about India... eventually the two of us came here together. We went to Sai Baba's retreat in the mountains. It was a beautiful experience but we also saw that men and women had to sit separately. John insisted we sit together and held my hand. I don't know whether that was considered rude..for me, this is my first opening to India as an artist. When i came with John, it was more to do with religion. This is very important to me and a lot of things will happen from here - things i am not sure i know about.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/opinion/edit-page/The-world-is-realising-it-was-unwise-to-ignore-woman-power/articleshow/11501032.cms

Yoko Ono in India for 'Our Beautiful Daughters'
January 15, 2012
Yoko is in Delhi to exhibit her art work at the Vadhera Art Gallery which is largely inspired by Indian women.

Yoko Ono in India for 'Our Beautiful Daughters'

NDTV
January 16, 2012
Transcript of Yoko Ono's interview with NDTV

New Delhi:  Often seen as the woman responsible for the break-up of the Beatles, Yoko Ono - the widow of the legendary John Lennon - says that she has been made the scapegoat. In an interview to NDTV, she says that she was victimised because she was a woman and an Asian.
Here is the transcript of an excerpt from the interview:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/transcript-of-yoko-ono-s-interview-with-ndtv-166315

Page created in 0.892 seconds with 43 queries.