Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What kind of Beatle fan are you ?  (Read 5707 times)

nimrod

What kind of Beatle fan are you ?
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:52:23 AM »

Hi Beatle buddies  :)

Ok, were all individuals and were all different, we all I assume love the fab 4 (thats why were here  ;)) but I guess we all love different aspects of the band, so Ive devised this erm....questionaire  ;D

Who was your favourite Beatle ?

(please state who and please say why if you can, make your post interesting to other members so not just a one word answer)

Which was you favourite Beatle era ?

(early, mid or psychedelic era, again be a bit specific as to why)

Who's solo records do you prefer ?

(Im looking for a mini essay here what do you think was wrong, if anything, with the ones you didnt like or maybe you think they were all great)

Select the tracks for the ultimate Beatle album

(a bit of fun  ;D) this is your chance to release a 14 track album with what you think are the greatest tracks by them, the songs can be from any source, live, album, anthology etc, pass on this one if its too hard to do...

Please take you time with your answers (dont rush it) Im hoping this will be an interesting thread  ;yes

PS a little tip (what I do) when I want to spend time answering a thread is I type it in wordpad and save it till its finished then copy and paste it into a reply when Im done.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:55:30 AM by nimrod »

nimrod

Re: What kind of Beatle fan are you ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

My favourite was John, closely followed by Paul, the first time I saw John when I was about 12 or 13 he had a mesmerising effect on me, I just loved the way he commanded the stge and belted out songs like Hard days Night and Please Please Me, I liked Paul very much (more so later) although I always thought in the early days he was the one for the girls, having a softer voice and a cute face, John seemed like the rebel and that appealed to me very much.

although I love the mid era and Rubber Soul/Revolver, my favourite era was the psychedelic one, starting with the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single and continuing on through Pepper/MMT/White Album etc, this is The Beatles most creative period for me, John had songs like SFF and the brilliant A day In The Life - helped by Pauls middle 8 of course, also for me Lucy is a masterpiece, Paul was writing monumental songs of course as well like Fool On The Hill & Title tracks for Pepper & MMT, everything was great, they were leading the way in music, you simply didnt know what was coming next, who else could have written I Am The Walrus ?

Sadly for me none of them really did it after the break up, John had Imagine and Plastic One band both of which I really liked but after those his releases became erratic and patchy with just the odd good song like #9 Dream & Out Of The Blue but overall it didnt do much for me after Imagine, Pauls debut album for me had about 4 great tracks but the rest seemed like filler/bits of instrumentals, as some will be aware Im not a fan of his solo stuff after this, theres the odd good song like Tomorrow and Back Seat Of My Car but Im not a fan of most of it, even Band On The Run I didnt like, just all too poppy for me, by this time I was into more serious rock like Yes & King Crimson and The Moody Blues so pop songs like Mull Of Kintyre didnt really interest me.
Georges album ATMP is of course great (well most of it) but I feel after that he dipped big time and like Paul Ive not been a fan of his stuff, Ringo solo is not for me at all.

This is hard of course but I could change it anytime, but I think it would be this;

Help
For No One
Strawberry Fields
Something
Hey Jude
In My Life
Here There & Everywhere

I Want To Hold Your Hand
Dear Prudence
A Day In The Life
Let It Be
Lucy In The Sky
I Am The Walrus
Golden Slumbers

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »

Paul has always been my favourite Beatle, since the first time I listened to them and since I was not really into the weird stuff, I preferred Paul's love songs ('I'll Follow The Sun', 'Here, There and Everywhere', 'Hey Jude'). John's stuff has grown on me over time and I love him musically almost as much as Paul (well, the Beatle days). I remember having a period in which George was my favourite, the period when I discovered his songs on 'Abbey Road'. But that lasted for about a week. So yeah, Paul's my favourite, both musically and as a person. John comes in second, George third and Ringo the last.

Maybe this is not fair, but I like almost equally everything they did from 'Revolver' to 'Abbey Road'. They drifted apart more and more as a band, but musically they were unbeatable. I can't name a favourite year, 'Abbey Road' is my favourite album, but I think their creative peak was 1967.

I like John's 'Plastic Ono Band' and bits from 'Imagine' and 'Mind Games' but that's about it. I can't stand his Yoko stuff. George's 'All Things Must Pass' is ok, and I haven't heard anything from Ringo.
Having said that, Paul's solo career is by far my favourite. I love about everything he did with the Wings. I haven't had the chance yet to get properly into his solo work, I know only about 3 or 4 albums, but I like those too. Albums like 'Ram', 'Venus and Mars' and 'Back To The Egg' are among my all time favourite records ever by anyone.

01.A Hard Day's Night
02.Ticket To Ride
03.Two Of Us
04.Here, There and Everywhere
05.Something
06.In My Life
07.Yesterday
08.Hey Jude
09.She's Leaving Home
10.Happiness Is A Warm Gun
11.You Never Give Me Your Money
12.Oh! Darling
13.I Am The Walrus
14.Tomorrow Never Knows

Runner-ups : 'Eleanor Rigby', 'A Day In The Life', 'Let It Be', 'Here Comes The Sun'.

Thanks, this was really fun. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:17:00 PM by The 5th Beatle »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »

Paul has always been my favorite Beatle on all fields. As a singer, songwriter, musician and as a person. My second favorite is George.

Sgt. Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour.

I've never been a huge fan of any of them as solo artists, to be honest. The only solo albums that I've played quite often are 'All Things Must Past' and 'Chaos & Creation In The Backyard'.

All My Loving
For No One
Girl
Here Comes The Sun
I Am The Walrus
I Want To Hold Your Hand
In My Life
Let It Be
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Magical Mystery Tour
Michelle
Penny Lane
Strawberry Fields Forever
The Long And Winding Road

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:02:22 PM »

Difficult one – many of my favourite Beatle songs are Paul ones (Blackbird, Here There and Everywhere, Two Of Us, Paperback Writer) but I remember when I was younger (there’s a song in there somewhere!) that it was definitely John that was my favourite. He was the sarcastic witty one, whereas Paul was a bit more cheesey. Basically, I’m glad the Beatles had both John and Paul because they complemented each other perfectly. I don’t want to minimize the contributions made by George and Ringo to the whole band, but John and Paul are obviously the main players and it’s difficult to choose between them.

Definitely the 65/66 period – I absolutely love the Rubber Soul and Revolver albums (apart from the Ringo songs – sorry Ringo!!). Paperback Writer/Rain is, for me, the most perfect 45rpm record ever – absolutely incredible stuff from start to finish.

I’d have to say Paul’s – I’ve always loved Band on the Run and Tug of War and the Wings Over America live album. His other albums weren’t great song after song after song like those ones were, but even his poorer albums contained some great music, and some of the others (Flowers in the Dirt, for example) are in the “almost great” pile. John’s post-Beatles stuff started out well for me (Plastic Ono Band and Imagine) but then after that there isn’t much that I listen to now. I really rate George’s All Things Must Pass and the “Ringo” album, but they also did some very forgettable records.

Twist and Shout (Live at Hollywood Bowl version)
Paperback Writer
Two of Us
Dear Prudence
Here There and Everywhere
Rain
Hey Jude

And Your Bird Can Sing
Blackbird
I Should Have Known Better
Here Comes The Sun
Strawberry Fields Forever
I’ve Got A Feeling
Tomorrow Never Knows

(But this is just today’s best of – it will be different tomorrow, and different again the day after that!)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

Paul

I like melodic, interesting music and I think he does it better than anybody. I dont care about lyrics or the meaning of songs. I just want to hear great music and Paul fits that bill. A bit egotistical, but seems like a decent guy all around.

I like the mid psych period. I dont think there was a better run in popular music than the Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper period.

Pauls for sure. What I like about Paul seems to be one of his weaknesses also. I like variety and his albums are all about that. He seems to touch upon just about every genre of music (sometimes in one album) and he's a chance taker. Not all of those chances are good (McCartney 2 and Fireman projects), but he has his fair share of triumphs too. I like Ringo's solo stuff probably next. He struggles sometimes with the vocals, but if you listen to his music, its usually very well done and entertaining. He doesnt take himself too seriously and thats welcome with me. George has some good stuff too that I really enjoy, but I feel that if you've heard one George album, you've pretty much heard them all. He doesnt vary too much from what he does well. Johns solo stuff doesn nothing for me. Most of it is too depresssing and i've always felt that the production stunk on his albums. He preaches too much also. Just play some happy music once in awhile.

1. You Never Give Me Your Money
2. Dear Prudence
3. I Am The Walrus
4. Lovely Rita
5. The Night Before
6. Things We Said Today (Live At Hollywood Bowl version)
7. I'm A Loser
8. If I Needed Someone
9. Hey Bulldog
10. I'm Only Sleeping
11. I Feel Fine
12. Every Little Thing
13. Paperback Writer
14. Day Tripper

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »

George.  I liked his dry sense of humor and the way he played guitar.  He prompted me to buy a 1963 Gretsch Country Gentleman years ago and, more recently, a VOX AC30 amplifier.  Now I can hear what he played the way he heard it.  I miss him deeply.

Rubber Soul.  I came of age that year, just as The Beatles did.

Paul's because he could write and play everything from sensitive love ballads to rock.

Please Please Me
There's A Place
Don't Bother Me
If I Fell
You Can't Do That
Baby's In Black
Eight Days A Week

Ticket To Ride
I've just Seen A Face
Nowhere Man
In My Life
Fixing A Hole
Something
Golden Slumbers

Nice thread, Kev!   ;)
I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »

John

I think it was a tough question for sure, Paul's beautiful songs and great voice were a close second.  John's beatle days introduced a raspy voice (at times) that was a great counter to Paul's sweetness.

Some of my longtime fav songs are on Rubber Soul, but I would say Pepper/Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane into MMT is my favorite

Paul's, I think while he does have an ego that flares out of control he easily was the most comfortable writing and making music without the other beatles around.

1- Here Comes The Sun
 2- I Am The Walrus
 3- I Saw Her Standing There         
 4- Nowhere Man                     
 5- I Should Have Known Better
 6- While My Guitar Gently Weeps
 7- You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
 8- Eleanor Rigby                   
 9- Strawberry Fields Forever
10- Penny Lane
11- Paperback Writer
12- Norwegian Wood                   
13- Mother Natures Son
14- A Day In The Life

I think the order can make or break an album, I'm going to give a listen to mine right now  ;D

[/quote]

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »

Nice thread, Kev!

thank you kind sir, I will collate the songs eventually and see if we can come up with a fans best off album  :)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:59:04 AM »

I think the order can make or break an album, I'm going to give a listen to mine right now  ;D

<pat self on back>  nicely done blue; be listening to this playlist while on the screen porch at the lake in a couple of months for sure   :D

nimrod

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »

Bumpitty Bump

anyone else fancy having a go ?

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »

Who was your favorite Beatle ? - John is my favorite Beatle because I really love his voice and the lyrics he wrote were great.So many people think that Paul had a better voice but I personally think John did.I also really like John's whole life story,some of it really relates to me.His story inspires me and lets me know that I'm not the only one and it gives him a more special meaning to me.

Which was your favorite Beatle era ? - This is a really hard question because I love all of them but I'll have to say that Please Please Me to Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was my favorite.I just really love the way their music sounded and I personally think there was a big change to the sound of their music in The White Album but I still really like it,some of their best songs are from The White Album.

Who's solo records do you prefer ? - I adore both John's and George's solo work but I have to say that I prefer George's.I really loved the things that George wrote about and his songs are all really nice and I love his voice so much,he has my second favorite voice ever with John's being my first.

Select the tracks for the ultimate Beatle album - (not in order,I'll never be able to choose a top favorite Beatle song)

1: Girl
2: She's Leaving Home
3: You Never Give Me Your Money
4: Long Long Long
5: She Loves You
6: Hey Jude
7: You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
8: Martha My Dear
9: Baby You're A Rich Man
10: PS I Love You
11: The Night Before
12: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
13: You Can't Do That
14: Hey Bulldog

If there was a hidden track then it would be The End.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:38 PM »

John. It's a bit of a close call who's songs I prefer but on personality I prefer John 'cause he was weirder and funnier than Paul. I don't know why but there's just something about Paul that stops me thinking he's cool and I thought that even more after he accepted a knighthood.

Easily 66-67. Virtually everything they did during this period is my fav. music of all time but apart from just loving it I think it's remarakable for the wonderful quality and creative richness of the songwriting, both melodies and lyrics, the inspired variety of instruments and all those weird and wonderful recording techniques, although how much the Beatle's deserve credit for that is debatable.

I much perfer Paul's. There's a lot more of it so there's more to enjoy. John's was o.k for the most part up to and inc. Imagine but then he just seemed to produce self-indulgent drivel. I've only heard ATMP and Cloud nine of George's both of which have got plenty of good songs on them but overall his career pales in comparrison to Paul and even John's best stuff is head and shoulders above Georges.  I've only heard a few Ringo songs.

In chronological order and trying to give a mixture of why I love the Beatles and the range and variety of how the Beatles developed.
1.   She loves you
2.   Help
3.   Norwegian wood
4.   Eleanor rigby
5.   Tomorrow never knows
6.   Penny Lane
7.   With a little help from my friends
8.   Fixing a hole
9.   A day in the life
10.   I am the walrus
11.   Happiness is a warm gun
12.   While my guitar gently weeps
13.   Helter skelter
14.   You never give me your money

IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »

Who was your favourite Beatle?

When I was a kid John was my idol. Over time I grew to be more appreciative of George. His values, sense of humor, spiritual quest, and - of course - music edged him in as the main guy in the group I'd wish to meet and get to know a little. Tough question, though. Any one of them would make a damn interesting dinner guest.

Which was you favourite Beatle era?

The middle years to psych era (which I kind of connect together), I'd say. They were clicking full tilt and doing their best work, imo.

Who's solo records do you prefer?

Interestingly, I'd have to say Paul's. That's what I listen to more than the others. George's best is as good if not better, but he just didn't put out as much as Paul did. John's solo work saddens me, for the most part. I hear a lost soul.

1: I Feel Fine
2. The Word
3. Ticket To Ride
4. Day Tripper
5. Tomorrow Never Knows
6. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
7. I Am The Walrus
8. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
9. Baby's In Black
10. Don't Bother Me
11. I Should Have Known Better
12. Two Of Us
13. Something
14. Please Please Me

Interesting exercise. Of course, it could change tomorrow.

8)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

ZoGeo

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »

My favourite Beatle is George. I'd say he was the most underrated, and in my opinion the most talented. Everything about him is intriguing, his humour, his songs, his guitar playing, and just his personality in general. I'd have to say he's the most handsome as well (;
Also, I'm from Speke so I have to be a George gal. Nah, I love him just for him :'3

My favourite era is probably the early days, I mean the really early days, from the Decca audition (I adore their wit and non-seriousness.. And also Geo's voice on Take Good Care Of My Baby) to probably Rubber Soul.. This is just image wise, but musically, Revolver to The White Album is my favourite era.

My favourite solo career is also George, I love The Wilburys and I love his solo stuff too, especially ATMP. I love Paul's work with Wings but I haven't really listened to his solo stuff. The only song of Johns I really like is Imagine, I can't really explain why, but the Yoko era just doesn't appeal to me, I went right off John.. I think because I loved him in the early clean shaven, mop topped "sshhh I'm not married" days. Last but not least, Ringo. I've listened to quite a bit of Ringos stuff, and although he's not the best singer or songwriter, I just adored his tribute to George, Never Without You. The lyrics are awful and the rhyming is just atrocious but I can't help but get all mushy about it. I actually really like Liverpool 8 as well by Ringo. Yeah, it's a really bad song, but I just like it.

Now on the he hard bit. The tracks...
1. I Saw Her Standing There
2. Oh! Darling
3. A Hard Days Night
4. Here Comes The Sun
5. And Your Bird Can Sing
6. Something
7. Helter Skelter
8. Don't Bother Me
9. Martha My Dear
10. Day Tripper
11. Take Good Care Of My Baby (Decca tapes)
12. Your Mother Should Know
13. Paperback Writer
14. In Spite Of All The Danger

That was way harder than I expected and there's so many songs I wanted to put in there but didn't have room for :'( I did put Hey Jude at number 14, but I really really desperately wanted In Spite Of All The Danger in there D: aaaagh I'd be skitted all the bloody time if I worked in this job, constantly changing tracks every 5 minutes :S

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 03:05:14 AM »

My favorite Beatle is absolutely JOHN. I like his singing voice, I like his badass Rickenbacker guitars, I like his granny glasses, I think he's the funniest Beatle, I love his Humanism, his "sod it, let's rock" attitude at times, and most importantly of all, I adore his music, his songs. Out of a group chock full of dazzling talent, his is the one that shines through the most for me.

Favorite Beatles era would probably have to be the mop top days, right around '63-'65ish. I never understood some fans' utter disregard for everything pre-Rubber Soul, especially considering that in many ways A Hard Day's Night is their best album and arguably their only PERFECT album.
I just love the more innocent, fun days, before Apple, before Brian's death, before things got so serious. I do truly love the WHOLE lifespan of the Beatles, though.

I much prefer John's solo albums. Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are masterworks and hey Mind Games and Walls & Bridges are simply good albums. His Double Fantasy/Milk & Honey stuff is beautiful. I just wish he was a little more consistent, I wish Some Time In New York City wasn't so tough a pill to swallow. Above all, obviously, I really wish he was still with us; I can only imagine the wonderful music he'd be laying on us to this day...

Ah, the tracks...this will be John-heavy methinks:

1. A Hard Day's Night
2. Something
3. If I Fell
4. Norwegian Wood
5. Across The Universe
6. We Can Work It Out
7. Strawberry Fields Forever
8. Penny Lane
9. She Loves You
10. Please Please Me
11. For No One
12. In My Life
13. Tomorrow Never Knows
14. A Day In The Life

whew!

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 05:08:53 AM »

I took some time off work to do this! :P

Started with John. I think it was a phase of something like “which teenage girl wouldn’t like him?” Then this obsession transformed into Paul for a very small period. I thought Paul was absolutely the cutest thing on this planet, but the more I read about him and his life the less I was interested (although he does have a great voice and I love his music). Then I had a George phase. I thought to myself “wow so inspirational” and so I started to read more into his life and his lyrics… and I kind of got turned off by the whole India/spiritualism thing (no offence to anyone). And now it is Ringo. I just love his optimism! I will always love John though and Paul will always be cute. But favourite Beatle? For now, I’ll say Ringo.

Early. I have always enjoyed the really early sixties. It had more of a RnR touch to it (I am thinking of Beatles For Sale etc). I know that the songs back then were not very wow, they were very simple and not that deep but they were really fun and jumpy.

I am finding myself listening more and more to Ringo’s stuff. John was way too angry or too I-love-you-Yoko. George – I never liked his voice during his solo years (but I do like his lyrics). And Paul has such a vast range of songs that it’s almost like it is too big to like. I sometimes get the feeling that Paul tries to please the public more than himself (if that makes sense?)

This Boy         
You Know What to Do
Girl
And I Love Her
Twist and Shout
She Loves You
RnR Music
We Can Work it Out
Long Tall Sally
Besame Mucho
Yesterday
She's Leaving Home
Misery
Please Please Me

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »

I hate when work gets in the way of fun stuff like this!

That's like asking me if I like pepperoni or sausage on my pizza. The Beatles had two of the greatest songwriters in the history of popular music.

I like John because of how he took rock songs and turned them upside down and inside out while infusing them with some of the most personal lyrics (In My Life) or utter nonsense (I Am The Walrus).

I like Paul because of how he could compose any type of song. He was fluent in so many styles of music.

1. John
A. Paul

Rubber Soul through Magical Mystery Tour.  That's when albums became really important and their music went through so many amazing changes.

Paul's Wings stuff.  Not very deep, but great pop music.

This could easily be a double album.  And this is about as "ultimate" as how I feel right now.  Ask me in month (or even a week) and this could be different.

Penny Lane
Paperback Writer
Day Tripper
A Hard Day’s Night
And Your Bird Can Sing
The Night Before
If I Needed Someone
Hey Bulldog
Savoy Truffle
Dr. Robert
Lady Madonna
Glass Onion
Ticket To Ride
I Am The Walrus

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:49:23 PM by ibanez_ax »
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 80 queries.