Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Do you think Paul has earned the praises?  (Read 19091 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Do you think Paul has earned the praises?
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2005, 07:28:23 PM »

Also, if we have to choose, i'd say Paul's Beatle masterpiece is 'Eleanor Rigby'. John's genius stretched as far back as 'I'm A Loser' for me. It's not my favorite John tune, but I can see were he (the rest also) went from there. Personaly, my favorite John tune would probably be 'Dear Prudence' or 'Cry Baby Cry', but whats that worth? Nothing? As stated many times before, its all personal, but i've only been trying to look at the big picture and i've really been trying to seperate this debate from the Paul versus John stuff that comes into play no matter what.

Speaking of songs being UNIQUE, its funny that 'Lucy In The Sky' hasent been mentioned.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2005, 08:06:41 PM »

Lucy In The Sky! Now THERE'S a song I like! the imagery is like a beautiful dream!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2005, 10:14:33 PM »

One of the angles on this debate that intigues me is what some folk are claiming to be the most enduring Beatles works. Paul-penned, of course (that doesn't surprise me!). But Let It Be? Come on, there is nothing in any way special about that song that would trigger it lasting 500 years. And Yesterday - Lordy, forget it! And as for Tkitna claiming uniqueness for Penny Lane over Walrus: only my desire not to be offensive prevents me from responding. But I will say Penny Lane is a pop ditty, but Walrus is a work of art. If you can't see it, well - you can't see it!

Paul has written MUCH better stuff than this. Time is an interesting filter, often leaving the popular behind, and only allowing the worthy material through. IF (a huge IF) any of Paul-penned Beatle songs survive, it is much more likely to be sophisticated songs like For No One.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2005, 10:20:35 PM »

Quote from: Herecomesyoursun
you have to admit, that is a pretty sweet poem.

But context is everything. Read the discussion Alice and Tweedledum & Tweedledee have after Tweedledee has recited the poem. You'll find it in Through The Looking Glass, Chapter 4.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2005, 10:33:40 PM »

yeahs, i have read that.  I just felt like posting the poem cos i could copy it from an earlier post.  

As it stands right now, The Beatles are most remembered for Yesterday, and All You Need is Love.  I don't see that changing in 500 years.  If you cant see the longevity and timelesness of Yesterday, I won't stress it furthur.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2005, 10:35:46 PM »

Quote from: Herecomesyoursun

As it stands right now, The Beatles are most remembered for Yesterday, and All You Need is Love.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2005, 10:56:22 PM »

alright give your opinion of what theyre currently MOST well remembered for.  I think my statement is sound

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2005, 11:03:10 PM »

I think Yesterday an All You Need is Love will be remembered because they are simple.

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2005, 09:38:48 AM »

Like it, sick of it, whatever--"Yesterday" will probably be the song if one had to be picked, simply because it is the most covered song in history and that will stand out 500 years from now. I, like most others, don't think its the best Beatle song, but the magnitude of it will separate it from the rest.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2005, 05:20:19 PM »

^Pretty much sums it up for me. Melody makes for a memorable song. Simple melody. Lyrics of course, play their part but they have to bounce off melody.

Lets not forget the issue though of whether or not we have the technology still to play and watch The Beatles in 500yrs time. As this thread seems to be overlooking that a bit. I mean could it be from memory passed down generations or whether all their works will be scrutinised on old media formats forever, as they were the first most successful recording band of all known time. ;) That would have a bearing on this topic.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2005, 05:26:26 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
One of the angles on this debate that intigues me is what some folk are claiming to be the most enduring Beatles works. Paul-penned, of course (that doesn't surprise me!).

Why doesnt this surprise you? Should it be a John penned song for it to be worthy? Are only the true Beatle fans picking John? Whats your point? My argument is 'Yesterday' and 'Let It Be' and it wouldnt matter if Ringo, George, Pete Best, etc,,,wrote them. Its the songs, not the creators.

But Let It Be? Come on, there is nothing in any way special about that song that would trigger it lasting 500 years.

Its almost like a gospel song to me and I feel something when I listen to it. Its done pretty well for itself so far, so I guess theres something special there.

And Yesterday - Lordy, forget it!

The most covered Beatle song ever, but yeah,,,lets just forget it.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2005, 08:30:08 PM »

I think one of the problems here is that people don't appreciate how much fashions, language and culture will have changed in 500 years. None of us actually KNOW the answer to the question we're discussing. But here's some thoughts (mostly reiterated):

(1) I don't think any actual Beatle music will be played (providing it survived). If a song or two is still around, it will be listened to by very few. Maybe some will play the songs and "record" them - as a minority pleasure. (But who knows what "record" will mean in 2505?) It'll be like those groups who play medieval tunes on original instruments. They are great, but what a minority!

(2) Every age has its "popular songs". But each age writes its own - it has no need for the love songs of yesterday. Tell me a hugely popular love song from the 1990s - easy; everyone knows many. But it gets harder as you go back. 1940s? 1920s? 1880s? Do you see what I mean. That's why Yesterday, Let It Be and their ilk will not survive.

(3) The Beatles will be mentioned and written about in any history of post-WW2 western culture. As part of this, their ground-breaking creativity is going to be of interest. My view is Lennon is the original mind in the group. Out of that mind came Walrus, SFF etc. That's where they rose above their peers musically. No other group has the equivalent of Walrus and SFF, but plenty have their Yesterdays. So if anyone's interested in the group 500 years down the track, it's not going to be what so many can do (Yesterday, Let It Be) - it's going to be what they did that NO-ONE else could do!

In other words, in 500 years it won't be a popularity thing.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2005, 09:12:33 PM »

I don't think just any group could write a Yesterday.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2005, 09:18:47 PM »

They do all the time! A nice tune with soppy words. The world's full of them.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2005, 09:38:58 PM »

Seriously?? Cuz I can name TONS of songs from way back. Mainly because if you listen, they're played. In movies, commercials, radio stations, etc. They are also taught in school. And I think the fact that we can record now makes this music last longer. If they had records or cd's back then, who knows.

I'm sure you've heard of at least SOME of these. And most of them are not in the least bit complex.

1800's
Kum Ba Yah
Waltzing Matilda (aussie!)
When the Saints Go Marching In
Carry Me Back to Old Virginny
Cielito Lindo
Follow the Drinking Gourd
Dixie
Greensleeves
Hava Nagila
I've Been Working on the Railroad

1900-1920
Anchors Away
The Band Played On
A Bicycle Built For Two
By the Light of the Silvery Moon
Danny Boy
Fascination
For Me and My Gal
Give my Regards to Broadway
I Love You Truly
In the Good Ole Summertime
Let Me Call You Sweetheart
Meet Me In St. Louis
Moonlight Bay
On Top of Old Smokey
Rock-A-Bye Your Baby
East Side West Side
Take Me Out to the Ball Game
That's An Irish Lullaby
When the Saints Go Marching In

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
They do all the time! A nice tune with soppy words. The world's full of them.

And how many of those tunes have had the same impact as Yesterday? Apparently it's not the same. Yesterday stands out for some reason which you cannot seem to grasp! You can't compare it to any sappy song. It's gone beyond that. Honesty, you don't see that?

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2005, 10:13:10 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
Seriously?? Cuz I can name TONS of songs from way back. Mainly because if you listen, they're played. In movies, commercials, radio stations, etc. They are also taught in school. And I think the fact that we can record now makes this music last longer. If they had records or cd's back then, who knows.

I'm sure you've heard of at least SOME of these. And most of them are not in the least bit complex.

The further you go back, the harder it is.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2005, 10:15:37 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

And how many of those tunes have had the same impact as Yesterday? Apparently it's not the same. Yesterday stands out for some reason which you cannot seem to grasp! You can't compare it to any sappy song. It's gone beyond that. Honesty, you don't see that?

Yesterday is pure schmaltz. THAT'S why it's been recorded so many times. It's easy to sing, the tune is simple, people will buy it. Sweet, shallow sentimentality.

But it's still schmaltz. Sappy.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2005, 10:17:47 PM »

But this discussion is now really boring me. So I won't be replying anymore - we're all going around in circles, saying what we've already said.

However, thanks all for the discussion. I really enjoyed it till the last couple of days.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2005, 10:28:08 PM »

^Whatever you think Ydoll...The thing here is to think about art as a form to be remembered. 500 yrs later we can appreciate the works of Da Vinci and Michealangelo...then, sculpture and paintings was how to preserve the sentiments/emotions of the day. In this last century we have had tape/Vinyl/Photography/Film/CD etc.

I feel that throws debate about whether or not Beatle tunes will be played/remembered. History (Apart from propagands) is also basd upon facts. The facts suggest that Yesterday will be the most remembered for it's sheer Universally accepted sentiments. Most covered, radio plays etc.
We probably won't even have electricity or even be around. lol.
I think Yesterday can become a drag for Long time Beatle appreciators, as it is played so much. It's still a remarkable melody.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 81 queries.