Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stu and basses  (Read 3888 times)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Stu and basses
« on: October 23, 2015, 02:35:42 AM »

I was reading an article about Stu Sutcliffe and saw this photo with him playing the bass with George. I noticed Paul's first Hofner Violin bass in the corner. Interesting photo. Seems like Paul was already playing some bass while Stu was still with them. Maybe transitioning out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:21:30 AM by Bobber »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

Re: Stu and basses
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 03:31:55 AM »

I was reading an article about Stu Sutcliffe and saw this photo with him playing the bass with George. I noticed Paul's first Hofner Violin bass in the corner. Interesting photo. Seems like Paul was already playing some bass while Stu was still with them. Maybe transitioning out.

That's a fantastic photo Dave! I found it identified as being at the Top Ten Club. The date that's with it, January 1, 1961 must be referring to something other than the date it was taken since they didn't start there until April 1st. Anyway, there's a bunch more here at Getty images:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/photo-of-george-harrison-and-stuart-sutcliffe-of-the-news-photo/86202442
I'm glad you shared that!

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:24:22 AM »

This from Chazz Avery's beatlesource.com: As with the previous Hamburg visit in 1960, specific date information apparently does not exist. Sometime during this visit, Paul's Rosetti "bass" was allegedly smashed. As a result, he played piano and/or simply sang during performances. It has been reported that he would play Stu's Hofner bass upside-down but no photos seem to exist.

As a result, it was during this trip when Paul pruchased his first now-famous Hofner "violin' bass at a local Hamburg Steinway music shop. It became the second Beatles' guitar pruchased in Hamburg that would become a world-famous Beatles' icon.

It was during this Hamburg visit that The Beatles (without Stuart) made their initial recordings with Tony Sheridan on 22-24 June.

Although he was only "sitting in" with the band, these were Stuart's final days as a Beatle. A letter written 31 April 1961 by Stuart, to his mother, announcing his leaving the band can be seen - here. This might narrow the dates of these photos to March through maybe early May 1961.

http://beatlesource.com/savage/1961/61.03.27%2007.02%20top%20ten/1961topten.html

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 04:44:36 PM »

^^^

Thanks for that info Cor. I've been wondering about this.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 01:02:20 AM »

This from Chazz Avery's beatlesource.com: As with the previous Hamburg visit in 1960, specific date information apparently does not exist. Sometime during this visit, Paul's Rosetti "bass" was allegedly smashed. As a result, he played piano and/or simply sang during performances. It has been reported that he would play Stu's Hofner bass upside-down but no photos seem to exist.

As a result, it was during this trip when Paul pruchased his first now-famous Hofner "violin' bass at a local Hamburg Steinway music shop. It became the second Beatles' guitar pruchased in Hamburg that would become a world-famous Beatles' icon.

It was during this Hamburg visit that The Beatles (without Stuart) made their initial recordings with Tony Sheridan on 22-24 June.

Although he was only "sitting in" with the band, these were Stuart's final days as a Beatle. A letter written 31 April 1961 by Stuart, to his mother, announcing his leaving the band can be seen - here. This might narrow the dates of these photos to March through maybe early May 1961.

http://beatlesource.com/savage/1961/61.03.27%2007.02%20top%20ten/1961topten.html

That link doesn't work anymore, does anyone know where I can read the letter ?

Also, how did Stu get the money for his Big Bass ? was it selling a painting or winning prize money ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 05:15:26 AM »

That link doesn't work anymore, does anyone know where I can read the letter ?

Kev, I found this letter. The date matches but it doesn't seem to contain any type of announcement of Stu's departure from The Beatles.

This is the website that has images of the original letter. You have to scroll down a bit to see them: http://www.hillmanweb.com/BEATLES/digs.html

I did find another letter that you might enjoy. Stu wrote it to his younger sister Pauline in October 1960 as he sat at the Kaiserkeller. It's a very evocative piece of writing. It's so touching to think of Stu as someone's big brother but also tragic to consider Pauline's future loss.

https://eppysboys.tumblr.com/post/664986008967888896/a-letter-from-stuart-sutcliffe-to-his-young-sister

Also, how did Stu get the money for his Big Bass ? was it selling a painting or winning prize money ?

The Mark Lewisohn book and some other sources I've seen say that his windfall came from the sale of a painting. I think the confusion started because this particular work was part of an exhibition where prizes were awarded and the painting was purchased by the benefactor of the exhibition.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 05:28:36 AM by In My Life »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 12:56:27 AM »

Thanks Kelley  :)

Re Stu's Bass. I'm having a bit of a debate with someone about where he got the funds from.  roll:)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

In My Life

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 01:01:08 AM »

Thanks Kelley  :)

Re Stu's Bass. I'm having a bit of a debate with someone about where he got the funds from.  roll:)

You're welcome, Kev.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 01:29:16 AM »

You're welcome, Kev.

I'm still unsure  roll:)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 0.704 seconds with 55 queries.