Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Follow Me  (Read 9545 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Follow Me
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2004, 01:10:51 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1088641104,s=10 date=1088713139]

Flaming Pie and Driving Rain showcase Paul's lack of ideas pretty strongly. Run Devil Run I found interesting up to a point, but lacking in real drive and energy.

And I thought the well was running dry around 1973. I tolerated McCartney, really liked Ram, was appalled by Wild Life, and was stunned by how dreadful Red Rose Speedway was. Band On the Run did not quite make up for that. And then there was Venus And Mars, and Speed Of Sound, and ... Yes, oh yes, the well was dry all right.

[/quote]

Rowdy, you have 630 posts and I would have thought that you would be familiar with the way most of the members work around here by now. Maria has a long history of taking stabs at Paul. The above quote is from one of her earlier posts in this same thread. Seems like a pot shot to me. I'm also prepared for her reply as to how I took her words out of context and i'm not understanding her and so forth. My point is that there should be no debate. Its music. Either you like it or you dont. If you dont like it,,,fine, but we shouldnt have to be reminded about it all the time. They all four released some real crap as solo artists, but i'm not pushing that envelope. If you dont like it, say your peace and move on already.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2004, 03:15:08 AM »

Tkitna, I'm sorry, but I don't see it as a pot shot. Don't take it the wrong way or anything, but to me, she's simply saying that she doesn't like the music. She may have said it more than once in the thread, but that's simply because she was being asked about it, really.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2004, 04:37:05 AM »

Ok, its probably me! It could be accepted as just opinion, but I read the very first sentence of the quote and take it as a pot shot. "FP" is quickly being regarded as one of Pauls best albums ever and "DR" was a decent effort. Saying that they "showcase Pauls lack of ideas" is a bit more harsh than just saying I dont care for it. Also, talking about pot shots, "And I thought the well was running dry around 1973"? What is that about? I feel that Paul has put out some music and albums over the last 30 years that was worthy of listening to. Apparently, alot of other people did also, as Paul is still doing fairly well for himself.

We may never see another masterpiece from Paul, but so be it. You dont see everybody on this forum picking apart "Gone Troppo" on the George board or people capping on Ringos stuff. Its always Paul and it miffs me.

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2004, 04:55:07 AM »

TK: Wayne had a solid go at some of Ringo's albums (Rotogravure, IV, Bad Boy). Gone Troppo (and other Harrison stuff) has been knocked on this board.

Y'know, there's even one person here who doesn't think much of Abbey Road! :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2004, 06:49:12 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1088641104,s=63 date=1089694507]
Y'know, there's even one person here who doesn't think much of Abbey Road! :)[/quote]

Where is he? I'll tear him limb from limb! (or it might even be a she now that I think about it)  ;)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2004, 10:29:03 AM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1088641104,s=62 date=1089693425]Ok, its probably me! It could be accepted as just opinion, but I read the very first sentence of the quote and take it as a pot shot. "FP" is quickly being regarded as one of Pauls best albums ever and "DR" was a decent effort. Saying that they "showcase Pauls lack of ideas" is a bit more harsh than just saying I dont care for it. Also, talking about pot shots, "And I thought the well was running dry around 1973"? What is that about? I feel that Paul has put out some music and albums over the last 30 years that was worthy of listening to. Apparently, alot of other people did also, as Paul is still doing fairly well for himself.

We may never see another masterpiece from Paul, but so be it. You dont see everybody on this forum picking apart "Gone Troppo" on the George board or people capping on Ringos stuff. Its always Paul and it miffs me.[/quote]
I think it's hard for some Macca fans to get into his post-Beatle stuff. I love the guy but apart from some exceptions I'm not that into the solo stuff. I think Paul himself summed it up when they all sung 'Boy, your gonna carry that weight' for whatever any of them do after the Beatles, will always be measured against it. You reckon?

http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2004, 11:40:55 PM »

[quote by=An_Apple_Beatle link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1088641104,s=65 date=1089714543]
I think it's hard for some Macca fans to get into his post-Beatle stuff. I love the guy but apart from some exceptions I'm not that into the solo stuff.
[/quote]

Out of curiousity, what solo stuff of Pauls do you own and what have you listened to? Well, for that matter, what solo stuff do you own or listen to by any of the Beatles? I'm just interested in what you base your statement on.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2004, 06:07:53 AM »

True, I wasn't really a Paul fan after hearing Wingspan........but then I heard the albums on their own and really ate it all up (or at least the 70's stuff/his last three albums).....if you just own Wingspan, Apple Beatle, you might not think too fondly of him.....it definitely didn't have the best track selection in my opinion...

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

beatlegirl200

• A Beginning
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2004, 06:41:20 AM »

I hope nobody rips my head off, but I wanted to add my two cents in as well.

IMO, Paul wrote his greatest stuff when he had John and Linda around.  Don't get me wrong, all of his work is excellent, but when I saw him in concert, the audience seemed to respond more to the Beatles/Wings songs than his newer songs.  I had heard a joke on the radio before I went to the concert that when Paul sings his new songs, that's when everybody goes to the restroom or goes to get a beer.  Unfortunately, a lot of people did get up and move around when he sang his newer songs.  Of course, I stayed in my seat the whole time since I was watching Paul McCartney in concert.

Not to get off the subject...Linda was Paul's muse and you can tell in the songs he wrote when she was around.  I think "Maybe I'm Amazed" has to be one of his best.

Again, this is my opinion, so I'm not looking to cause any trouble!  LOL!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2004, 07:31:52 AM »

Its common for the audience to respond to what they're familiar with. Lets be honest, i've been to hundreds of concerts and if a band has a new record out that i'm not familiar with and they start to play one of those songs, thats my mark to go take a p*ss and grab a beer too. Trust me, Paul caters to the audience by playing a bunch of the Beatle stuff and his hits repeatedly and i'm sure he's as sick of playing them as I am hearing them. Makes me upset because i'm a fan of a larger scale and would love to hear some more obscure stuff, but it aint going to happen. I suppose its a luxury to have such a vast catalog.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2004, 09:22:41 AM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1088641104,s=66 date=1089762055]

Out of curiousity, what solo stuff of Pauls do you own and what have you listened to? Well, for that matter, what solo stuff do you own or listen to by any of the Beatles? I'm just interested in what you base your statement on.

[/quote]
I own all Beatle albums. In terms of Macca solo, I have 'All The Best'(compilation), I have Flaming Pie. I have heard the others and well, just never got into it. I certainly did not put myself through the pain of HAVING to know his solo albums to make comment as for me personally, it just did'nt vibe me when I listened to them. ...Oooh forgot to mention when I was a nipper I did buy Say, Say, Say, The Girl is mine and Pipes Of Peace on 7 inch vinyl. lol

Infact it's safe to say I don't own much if hardly any solo Beatle albums just compilations. Maybe I'm just enchanted by them as Beatles? Dunno? That said, all individually had great songs (I really can't comment on Ringo coz I don't know.) Shame they were'nt together to give us another amazing Beatle album.

I base my statement upon reaction and experience.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2004, 09:44:23 AM »

Maybe it should be a new thread but what about compiling the Best Beatle solo album made up from all 4 solo careers? I certainly would'nt be including the Ono-Lennon in there. lol. Heres some of my ideas, not in order of preference.

Live n Let Die,
Imagine,
Instant Karma,
Merry Xmas (War is..),
My Sweet Lord,
Jet,
Let Em In,
We All Stand Together

I'm sure with better solo knowledge this could be more themed. Just thought I'd get the ball rolling and let yous lot educate me. 

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2005, 02:02:05 AM »

Funny reading (laugh4)
You all will have read that ah... Maria is no longer with us. But Micky and Tich and I would just like to carry on the good work that's always gone down in number two.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2006, 02:31:29 AM »

tooth and nail in them days.....i carried a knife on the forums back then....lol

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2006, 11:19:07 AM »

Quote from: pc31
i carried a knife on the forums back then....lol

LOL! What a great line - nice one!!! ;D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2006, 02:06:09 AM »

Quote from: pc31
tooth and nail in them days.....i carried a knife on the forums back then....lol

So that's what happened to Maria! Where'd you dump the body pc? I guess you got them alligators down there to solve those kind of problems.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2006, 03:21:58 AM »

thats right.....the gators don't leave much....

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2006, 04:19:59 AM »

Yes, those were the days.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2006, 06:22:30 AM »

Just to clarify. I DO own some Paul solo albums now! And Lennon too. I was reading through and was apalled by myself.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2006, 10:36:17 AM »

apaulling!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 76 queries.