Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Abbey Road  (Read 64338 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Abbey Road
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2012, 03:24:57 AM »

Some more New Orleans Rhythm and Blues by Fats Domino...

Baby Please

Fats Domino - Baby Please

I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2012, 06:03:44 AM »

Quote from: Gary910
Give the song a different perspective. I think I know what Paul was trying to accomplish in this song. If you listen to the vocals, Paul was trying to make a belt-em out screaming song. The piano is fairly simplistic. If you listen to at as a "melodic" song, there is not much there. If you imagine yourself in a small club with a singer and just his piano, the performance takes on a different slant.

This is something about many Beatles songs, that I think some people miss. I probably go on about this ad infinitum, but sometimes you have to take a step back.

I appreciate your perspective on this Gary. I've always liked this song but it is difficult for me to articulate my feelings about most of the songs that I enjoy. I lack the technical knowledge for one thing and I just feel music at such an emotional level that I can't really defend my opinions.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »

I Love outtakes.  A few certainly get more play in my world than the released versions.  This one though?  Nope.  Cute at parts but I like what he accomplished with the released version just fine.

I like this rehearsal version of Oh! Darling better than the released take...

The Beatles - oh darling RARE

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »

Even though I completely do not share your view, I understand how you might feel this way.

Give the song a different perspective. I think I know what Paul was trying to accomplish in this song. If you listen to the vocals, Paul was trying to make a belt-em out screaming song. The piano is fairly simplistic. If you listen to at as a "melodic" song, there is not much there. If you imagine yourself in a small club with a singer and just his piano, the performance takes on a different slant.

This is something about many Beatles songs, that I think some people miss. I probably go on about this ad infinitum, but sometimes you have to take a step back. There are works of art that look horrible from one perspective, then when you look from a different angle and know what was going on in the artist's life and what he/she was attempting to communicate, the art takes on new meaning and can become beautiful. This process sometimes requires work.

I probably bored a few people with the above, and you probably didn't even read it.
I did read it and I'd like to say thank you for not getting mad or anything because I was nervous to say that I don't like Oh! Darling because I know how everybody has different opinions and some people might have been offended or something.The reason I don't like the song is actually because of the way Paul says the words but I like the way you explained the song and from now on I will try to listen to the song and look at it from a different angle :) I should just listen to the whole song through a few times and see what happens to my view on it.

Jema

• Getting Better
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »

Also I'd like to say that I'm really sorry if I cause a lot of trouble on different topics but maybe I'll stop saying my opinion on things because I hate causing trouble and I hope you can all forgive me,we all have different views on songs and I'm sorry I don't like Oh! Darling,I can see you all like it but maybe I shouldn't even had said I don't like Oh! Darling because I feel really bad about not liking it now  :-\

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »

Also I'd like to say that I'm really sorry if I cause a lot of trouble on different topics but maybe I'll stop saying my opinion on things because I hate causing trouble and I hope you can all forgive me,we all have different views on songs and I'm sorry I don't like Oh! Darling,I can see you all like it but maybe I shouldn't even had said I don't like Oh! Darling because I feel really bad about not liking it now  :-\

Relax, Jema.  You're not causing any trouble.  Everyone has their own opinions and we certainly value yours.  And if it prompts debate, it's even better.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »

I think Paul might have listened to this song prior to writing Oh! Darling...

Please Come Home For Christmas

Charles Brown - Please Come Home For Christmas

Charles Brown   1960

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »

Relax, Jema.  You're not causing any trouble.  Everyone has their own opinions and we certainly value yours.  And if it prompts debate, it's even better.

I agree. Take it easy, Jema. And after all, weren't these last posts better than what would've been if everybody loved the song? Imagine this :

"Member 1 : Great song.

Member 2 :
Quote from: Member1
Great song.
I agree, top song.

Member 3 :
Quote from: Member 2
I agree, top song.
Yes, 5/5, it never gets old. Ok, now we move on... "

Now, where's the fun in that? ;)

Don't stop saying your opinions out loud.

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »

I agree Jema, please do express your opinions, that is what a forum is all about.

When we express our opinions though, it is helpful if we say, "I don't like "X Song" because..." When it is just a "I hate 'X Song', or "X Song Sucks", that is meaningless. It doesn't promote any conversation, and it just gets everyone upset.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

KelMar

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »

You didn't do anything wrong Jema! I understand how you feel but no one is mad at you as you can probably tell from the other comments.

Jema

• Getting Better
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »

You didn't do anything wrong Jema! I understand how you feel but no one is mad at you as you can probably tell from the other comments.
I agree Jema, please do express your opinions, that is what a forum is all about.

When we express our opinions though, it is helpful if we say, "I don't like "X Song" because..." When it is just a "I hate 'X Song', or "X Song Sucks", that is meaningless. It doesn't promote any conversation, and it just gets everyone upset.
I agree. Take it easy, Jema. And after all, weren't these last posts better than what would've been if everybody loved the song? Imagine this :

"Member 1 : Great song.

Member 2 : I agree, top song.

Member 3 : Yes, 5/5, it never gets old. Ok, now we move on... "

Now, where's the fun in that? ;)

Don't stop saying your opinions out loud.

Thanks everybody,I'll try to stop taking everything to heart and start explaining my reasoning's :) I just don't like causing people trouble and I can see that I really didn't :)

nimrod

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »

Im absolutely fuming @ Jema  >:(

just kidding Jema  ha2ha

Jema

• Getting Better
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2012, 03:11:55 AM »

just kidding Jema  ha2ha
That was actually quite funny - I'm absolutely fuming  ha2ha I thought you actually were,then I scrolled down and I was relieved - I don't actually think you would be,at least I hope not!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2012, 04:22:39 AM »

That was actually quite funny - I'm absolutely fuming  ha2ha I thought you actually were,then I scrolled down and I was relieved - I don't actually think you would be,at least I hope not!

Nah!  nimrod's not mean.  His avatar looks mean, but that's just a front.    ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »

Jema, i'd be really upset if you didnt submit your opinion. What would be the point of it all then? You just keep on trucking and dont worry what other people think. It makes for better discussions.

KelMar

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2012, 04:33:46 AM »

just kidding Jema  ha2ha

Trouble maker! ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2012, 04:38:23 AM »

tkitna - love your reviews, this one for the most part is a homerun with many of my opinions.

Questions for ya - I've read/heard that John wasn't too pleased with the side B and the amount of producing that went into it vs. side A, truth to that?  To your points, the back and forth when the medley gets going with Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam is great, neither would suffer if made into a stand alone song but both benefit from the production aspect of linking them.

Also - in The End, can you (or somebody), detail by x:xx who is playing which parts of the dueling guitar solos?  Is there any video of them playing it?  Does Paul, while touring, divvy out the parts to his band, like, "you, you have John's part and you, you take my part, I want to play George's tonight"  lol

Just reread this thread and realized I never did answer you BL. Sorry buddy. Yeah, I guess John wasnt super thrilled with side 2, but I always thought it was due to the snippets of songs thrown together more so than the production, but I might be off. Let me go take a look.

Found this, but its not a lot-
"I liked the 'A' side [of Abbey Road] but I never liked that sort of pop opera on the other side. I think it's junk because it was just bits of songs thrown together." —John Lennon, "The Rolling Stone Interview", 1971

Who knows. John was always throwing those tidbits out there.

Raxo answered your second question which is good, because I would have had to look it up.  ha2ha

nimrod

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »

Nah!  nimrod's not mean.  His avatar looks mean, but that's just a front.    ;D

Awe..........Goaty's not mean Barry, he's just confused  ha2ha

Trouble maker! ;)

Ive always been the same Kelley  2ch

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »

I like this rehearsal version of Oh! Darling better than the released take...
The Beatles - oh darling RARE

I have to agree - the released version was never a favourite of mine, mainly because I don't like the production/arrangement on the final version.
I think there's too much going on - especially in the "middle 8" sections ("When you told me ..." etc). The arpeggio guitar parts in those parts really annoy me, for some reason.

Those rehearsal takes are much more my cup of tea - a more laid back feel, with a bit more space to the song.

I think Macca was quite fond of this type of song ...
Paul McCartney & Wings - Call Me Back Again [Live] [High Quality]

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »

Found this, but its not a lot-
"I liked the 'A' side [of Abbey Road] but I never liked that sort of pop opera on the other side. I think it's junk because it was just bits of songs thrown together." —John Lennon, "The Rolling Stone Interview", 1971

Who knows. John was always throwing those tidbits out there.

I have to laugh at many of John's quotes, because he would contradict himself many times. I think it had to do with his mood and his relationship to Yoko.

Although he was pretty consistent on his feelings about Abbey Road.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Page created in 1.046 seconds with 78 queries.