Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: john songs vs paul songs vs george songs vs ringo  (Read 16318 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
john songs vs paul songs vs george songs vs ringo
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:11:38 PM »

if you could only listen to either pauls songs, john songs, georges songs, or ringos from there beatles period for the rest of youre life whos would you choose i know that a lot of lennon/mccartney songs are co wrote but they still get recognised as a paul song or a john like tommorow never knows is a john song and penny lane is a paul song so who would you choose :)

BlueMeanie

Re: john songs vs paul songs vs george songs vs ringo
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:28:46 PM »

Funny this. I've considered myself a bigger Paul fan over the years, but only a quick look at the discography and it becomes fairly apparent, to me at least, that it has to be John. To name but a few:

A Hard Day's Night
If I Fell
No Reply
I'm a Loser
Eight Days a Week
Help!
In My Life
I'm Only Sleeping
And Your Bird Can Sing
Strawberry Fields
I Am The Walrus
A Day In The Life
Come Together

I could go on!

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 12:31:33 PM »

oops i forgot to say which id choose id probably go for pauls stuff over the rest,john had loads of great songs but a lot of hit and miss stuff imo, george also wrote great tracks but loses out because of qauntity

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:20:38 PM »

Uh this is slightly short of IMPOSSIBLE!!!
I'd say Paul, but then I think of one of John's, like I Am The Walrus or George's While My Guitar Gently Weeps...
Sorry, just can't do it

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »

Quote from: 687
Uh this is slightly short of IMPOSSIBLE!!!
Hey, another indecision freak! *high fives Flaming Pie*

I'm going for the easy answer: Ringo!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 08:21:50 PM »

Quote from: 551
Hey, another indecision freak! *high fives Flaming Pie*

Haha right back at ya harihead  :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:37:26 PM »

Very hard, just too hard.
I would just Paul as he's always been my fav musically!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:51:55 PM »

Those who have voted, how do you choose?!  :o

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »

I can't vote because when I listen to their music my preferences changes from time to time.  A few months ago I was heavily into songs like I am the warlus, Strawberry fields, Here comes the sun & Lucy in the sky, but right now I'm listening again to their earlier stuff.  But basically there are songs that I've always liked despite my mood.

In the last months these were the songs I listened a lot:

John's songs: Strawberry fields forever, I am the warlus, Tomorrow never knows, A hard day's night, And your bird can sing, Help!, Norwegian Wood
Paul: Got to get you into my life, Can't buy me love, Get back, Let it be, Hey Jude
George: Something, Here comes the sun, Taxman
Ringo: Octopus' garden

I remember there was a time when one of the songs I listened a lot were Lovely Rita and Fixing a hole.

:P
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:28:20 PM »

Ringo's songs? Wha?? That would take about five minutes and you'd be done. Then what would you do with the rest of your life?

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 10:40:11 PM »

oh no typical me I misread the question- thought it was about which Beatle's post-Beatle solo stuff you would most like to listen to only. Oooops  :B

So I said George (an answer to the wrong question) because my enthusiasm for the whole album 'All Things Must Pass' just surfaced  

But I should have said John (my answer to the question I was supposed to be answering) mainly because (though I love George's songs) John has obviously done far more in the Beatles than George. And I have always just about preferred John's overall songs to Paul's. Not by loads, but enough to make John my vote. (Gems like Strawberry Fields, Come Together, Day in the Life, Walrus, And Your Bird Can Sing, Norwegian Wood, I'm Only Sleeping etc. are just so varied and unique and I love them) Poor Ringo loses out on this one- not many songs to choose from for him, bless him. Glad to see him included on the poll though- I have known polls to just not include Ringo at all- outrageous I say!

(sorry for voting wrong- if it can be changed then can someone please do it? If not my George will do me fine- because I feel his quality of songs is often as good as John's and it is really only the fact that he did far fewer overall than John which makes him lose my vote)
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 10:42:59 PM »

I ended up voting for John but that will change by tomorrow  :P

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 10:47:58 PM »

Quote from: 553
oh no typical me I misread the question- thought it was about which Beatle's post-Beatle solo stuff you would most like to listen to only. Oooops  :B

Don't worry, i just realised i thought the same thing.
Its just too hard, i really can't say! John, Paul, George ..all amazing songwriter "in the Beatles"! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »

You know I have to pick George...though Sky knows how much I love a certain beatle song written by John...

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 04:57:36 AM »

From The Beatles period- I'd say John... but really it depends on the mood

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »

Quote from: 216
Ringo's songs? Wha?? That would take about five minutes and you'd be done. Then what would you do with the rest of your life?
Play the soundtrack from Caveman?  ;D

Seriously, I had to pick George, because I wouldn't be a Beatles fan if not for him. It's funny how a different writer will resonate with different people. This was definitely the strength of the Beatles-- that they had such diverse styles that they could appeal to a wide variety of people. And if you wanted a change, look no further-- you could find it right in the same band!

But this is an easy answer for me because I only got into the Beatles recently. I just had to look at what music I felt I had to buy first, and it was George's songs that swung my vote in my album selections. I like some of John's and Paul's tunes very much, but I am really drawn to George's style.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 10:38:12 AM »

ive always been a paul fan but its true how one song can mean the world to one person but could be throwaway to another person and having 3 great songwriters in the same band writing about different things makes sure someone will identify with at least a fe wof there songs,

was watching the beatles gig in the budokan and i never really noticed but george is a really nice guy even on stage hes constantly waving to the fans acknowledging that they are there, hes just slid in to second in my fave beatle :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 11:52:30 AM »

Quote from: 758
was watching the beatles gig in the budokan and i never really noticed but george is a really nice guy even on stage hes constantly waving to the fans acknowledging that they are there, hes just slid in to second in my fave beatle :)

There may have been an ulterior motive. George openly admits that he would wave at the audience to encourage screaming to hide bits of songs they knew would sound sh*t - most famously the Beach Boys vocal bits on Paperback Writer, but I'm sure there were others.
don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 11:57:32 AM »

yeah i actually saw that wrote on another thread so i tried to pay attention to when he was waving what was goin on the track there were a few times it seemed he may be hiding a fluffed vocal or guitar part but on a whole it seemed very nice and polite he did it at times where he wasnt singing or even playing anything during verses waiting to come back in, just seemed nice and fresh to see he would wave to the audience during the songs to acknowledge them being there rather than bands nowadays hammering through there set with as little to say as possible and a thanks at the end of the set

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »

Could be. Though he would do it before the offending piece, because he knew when the fluffs were coming. I've only seen him do it on Anthology on Paperback Writer and he isn't playing or singing when he smiles and waves then moves over to take part in the around-the-mike chorus.
Just struck me how forgiving we are of them for doing this. We would probably crucify any other act admitting to doing this.
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 90 queries.