Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Question For Ed Turner and Co. (Kirkwood)  (Read 2853 times)

Casbah

• A Beginning
A Question For Ed Turner and Co. (Kirkwood)
« on: January 12, 2009, 03:49:34 AM »

I felt this was a better thread to post this question. I just got done watching Savoy Truffle which I thought was an excellent rendition, but I am curious, are you a gigging band and do you pay all those musicians? I've been in 3 and 4 piece outfits and THAT is a lot of mouths to feed...but you have almost 3 times that number on stage with you so I was curious how you manage that... if I'm not being too nosy, that is...

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9
Re: A Question For Ed Turner and Co. (Kirkwood)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:13:34 AM »

Thanks for the compliments.  All of our large gigs like the White Album gig are charity events so a lot of people donate their time and efforts.  We could make pretty decent money if we kept it all but that's not why we do it.  The core band is 7 members, Ed Turner, Jeff Johnston, Chip McDonald, Roger Davis, Jamie Jones, Tim Arbisi, and myself Kirkwood Deal.  We all have day jobs and this is pretty much our recreation although Jamie and Jeff play in other various bands several nights a week.  We practice pretty much every Tuesday night year round, with a couple weeks break after a big show.  All the additional people are friends and friends of friends that come in 2-3 weeks before a show and add in their parts.  We have a wonderful lady named Laura Tomlin who kind of heads all that up and scores out the parts if needed. The Beatles Complete Scores is a huge aid in this.  Most of the horn and string players are teachers and band directors but a couple do something entirely unrelated to music.

So basically, we have a lot of people that don't get to let their hair down and play rock music very often, and to boot, its all for a good cause which is a great motivator.  Plus, we get a lot of support from the community and as the date for each show approaches, corporate sponsors cater our practices.  Ed has really built up a diverse network of friends over the years and its his connections along with a strong community that really makes all this work.  I don't know if it would be possible in a large city.  Did I mention we go through a lot of beer?  Yeah, beer does amazing things.

The core 7 have done some regular gigs and those worked out well, including a great New Year's gig but of course it limits our song selections.  Ed and Tim have put together promo packages and we actually have a road show coming up in April in Alabama with just the core 7.  If someone wanted to hire the entire band though it would be rather pricey but we would be more than willing to consider it.
Please check out Ed Turner and Number 9 on Youtube and let us know what you think.  We perform primarily in the southeastern United States for charity events and pride ourselves in performing Beatles songs that they themselves never performed live.  We wo

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »

I thought I'd upload Hey Jude for you Casbah to show you just how many people were involved, and this was just on stage.

SLBHiI2iuoc
Please check out Ed Turner and Number 9 on Youtube and let us know what you think.  We perform primarily in the southeastern United States for charity events and pride ourselves in performing Beatles songs that they themselves never performed live.  We wo

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »

Super cool band Kirkwood. I was seriously digging 'Baby Your A Rich Man'. I would definately pay money to see you guys if you were ever around the Pittsburgh area.

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:56:25 PM »

Much appreciated.  BTW Casbah, the core group got hired for a church gig this morning since they were featuring Love as the theme.  It was rather surreal playing Beatles songs through 3 church services.  It's also the first time in about a year I was conscious during a Sunday morning.

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »

Heh, Tim the bass player took a pic at the church gig with his cell phone.  

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:39:02 PM »

Quote from: 373
Super cool band Kirkwood. I was seriously digging 'Baby Your A Rich Man'. I would definately pay money to see you guys if you were ever around the Pittsburgh area.

Hey tkitna - you're from Pittsburgh? Go Steelers!! I'm from NY but I went to school there, so I'm an immigrant, since emigrated, but still the Steelers are my passion! (Steelers, Beatles, those are really the only two things I dig. Oh, and maybe playing music. And bagels, I love bagels. Besides that I can take it or leave it).
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 01:32:45 AM »

Quote from: 568

Hey tkitna - you're from Pittsburgh? Go Steelers!! I'm from NY but I went to school there, so I'm an immigrant, since emigrated, but still the Steelers are my passion! (Steelers, Beatles, those are really the only two things I dig. Oh, and maybe playing music. And bagels, I love bagels. Besides that I can take it or leave it).

Hey Alexis. Actually I live in West Virginia, but i'm only about 45 minutes away from Pittsburgh. As for the Steelers, theres not many things in this life that I hate more than that team. I'm a Seahawks fan.

Where did you go to school? Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, Robert Morris, etc,,,?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 02:12:26 AM »

Quote from: 373

Hey Alexis. Actually I live in West Virginia, but i'm only about 45 minutes away from Pittsburgh. As for the Steelers, theres not many things in this life that I hate more than that team. I'm a Seahawks fan.

Where did you go to school? Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, Robert Morris, etc,,,?

Ouch.

Well, we can be friendly on this forum, kind of like Indians and Pakistanis when they emigrate to the US. And I won't snide about the Seahawks!

Carnegie-Mellon. I went to Wheeling once, for that Wheeling Feeling, when I was in college. As one might imagine, I don't remember much about that little road trip.

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »

Thanks for answering. That's a very cool and worthwhile project!  Not that I wouldn't give to a worthy charity anyway, but I might part with a few sheckles more if it was for a good cause AND a  Beatle band as well :)
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »

Not a problem Casbah.  Heh, as far as charities go, its definitely win-win for everyone involved.  Probably the most beneficial things that helps make the practices work is that I record all of them.  Nothing elaborate but with a Samson C03 condenser on omni mixed in with a send from the board and a little compression and you get an amazingly balanced mix of just about everyone.  We have fixed many many mistakes this way.

FourMiles

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 05:24:52 AM »

Hi Ed Turner,
Was just sitting here listening to old Beatles tunes and started listening to Martha My Dear on my MP3 player. I was lucky enough to be born at the right time to experience the Beatles from the start, plus I started playing guitar at age 7 (1958), so I was ripe by February of 1964.
Played in an all Beatles band in the early 80

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »

Full respects Kirkwood. It's hard sustaining a large band and you guys manage it well.  :)

Hey Len...Welcome aboard the forums. Nice myspace. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Kirkwood

• One And One Is Two
    • Ed Turner and Number 9
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »

Again, thanks for the kind words.  For the first two weekends of this March we did 4 shows (3 sell outs, 1 80% due to downtown festival) and we just did a core 7 group without strings or horns although we still did some arrangements of songs that turned out fairly well.  Kind of at the last minute we decided to pull Walrus together and for only playing though it a couple times at practice, I think it turned out okay.  This is a board recording with an audience mic included.  We have a multi-track off an HD24 but we haven't mixed it yet.

http://www.kirkwoodsmusic.com/walruslive.mp3

I am on a lousy connection at the moment so I'll have to check out your songs in the morning FourMiles.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »

Nice Walrus sir. ;)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 73 queries.