Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul and Yoko  (Read 7552 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Paul and Yoko
« on: August 02, 2004, 07:33:06 AM »

Has anyone ever heard Paul tell a story about how Yoko was interested in him first and when he turned her down she went to John?
Someone told me they heard him say this on the Howard Stern show but since I didn't hear it first hand I'm a bit sceptical. But it is interesting. Just wondering if there's any truth to it. Not only that it happened but that Paul actually said so!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
Re: Paul and Yoko
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 07:36:31 AM »

I'd like to see a transcript, and even then with that we would have no way of knowing Paul's tone, perhaps he was being very sarcastic.  Seems very improbable that this happened, as John was the first to meet Yoko.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 07:57:22 AM »

I looked for a transcript but couldn't find one. She may have met John first but according to the seccond hand story I heard she came to Paul's house for something or another. I don't know. I hope someones heard it. Just to end my confusion.

Oh no, eerie Exorcist commercial playing! Ahh!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 09:10:40 AM »

Paul actually introduced Yoko to John. I believe Paul met Yoko through his art friends, but dont hold me to that (must gather facts now). Regardless, Paul knew her first. Yoko came by Pauls house for a check that was donated to her for her art gallery. I dont have, or know, any facts at this moment about her having feelings for Paul first, but i'll find out.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 10:51:15 AM »

It is in the Albert Goldman 'The Lives Of John Lennon' book I believe that indeed Yoko's first attempt at entrapping a Beatle was with Paul whose bohemian art connections she deemed useful to further herself as an artist. I may have to dig the book up unless anyone else has one close to a computer. I remember that it goes on to say that John found her work at the Indica gallery very refreshing and set-up a meeting with her. She was encouraged by her then boyfriend to form a relationship with John. I think Albert Goldman did not paint too good a picture for Yoko. Supposed to be a controversial biography.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 06:24:42 PM »

I think I'll take John and Yoko's words for it.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 03:59:34 AM »

All I wanna know is what Paul said. I find it fascinating that he would bring it up so late in life. But then he was on the Stern show so he could have been joking for all I know. I still would like to hear the story.

Also, I  don't find it too unbelievable that Yoko may have found him attractive. Like 8 billion other girls did at that time. Personally, I don't know how she couldn't have! But that's just me. ;D

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 04:21:30 AM »

On a pretty different note, I remember reading that when Paul sang Get Back on the roof, John thought Paul stared menacingly at Yoko everytime he sang the ling, "Get back to where you once belonged."

Looks like Paul didn't think to highly of her, eh?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 04:27:45 AM »

Yeah, I've heard that. Isn't that when John was right in the midst of his heroin phase? Paranoia may be a symptom. Although, maybe Paul WAS trying to make a point!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 10:58:54 AM »

Yeah, but childish games like the above are always deduced from mere paranoia and the fact Lennon probaly wanted to see the cracks appear.

Im sure Yoko approached Mccartney for Gallery finance before he pointed her into Johns direction.

Not sure tho. Never believe everything you read.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 02:25:45 PM »

It's not what I've read though. Supposedly Paul said it on a radio show. I'm just curious as to his exact words cuz all I've got is a second hand account. I just though maybe someone would have heard it but apparently no one did!

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 08:29:21 PM »

Yeah, but childish games like the above are always deduced from mere paranoia and the fact Lennon probaly wanted to see the cracks appear.

John called paranoia "heightened awareness," and so do I ;) I'm blessed with this "gift," too ;D

Anyway, it's highly likely that Paul did this to Yoko, and I wouldn't doubt John's observation for a second. Everyone hated and resented her, and Paul rarely had the nerve to come right out and say or do anything. I believe he would pretty much be very discreet about how he did that sort of thing. Like giving a look at her each time he sang "Get Back".

You know, the only time I ever admired McCartney a lot for his nerve was when he told off the interviewer who asked about his having taken LSD. He finally grew some Lennon-sized balls! ;D

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 09:23:22 PM »

All that Yoko 'hitting' on Paul business really does sound like a load of BS to me.

In an interview Paul gave to a magazine last year he said that Yoko went round to his house to ask if it would be alright to use an element or somesuch from a song. Paul said it would be fine but she'd have to go and see John about it.

Paul said that she was hitting on him for songs. Paul probably dosen't use the phrase hitting on someone in the same way that maccalvr would. It's probably used in a different way from young modern american to old sixties brit.

If you know what I mean. ;)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 09:52:20 PM »

I never said I heard him use the words 'hitting on.' I didn't hear any of his words! All I heard was that there was a discussion on said radio show that Yoko showed an interest in Paul before John. Not that she just went to his house for something or other. Again, not having heard the interview, I have no idea of the stories accuracy and was only hoping someone around hear had heard it first hand. That's all!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 11:32:30 PM »

When Mccartney did Answer back to the reporter, he was using it to obviously sell records. This typical controversial package is probaly the oldest trick in the book, and the others even commented that they found it strange that Paul was admitting what he did.
Saying that, Lennon is the most relaxed.
 The London Palladium Event....Lennon is just not phased. Amazing performance.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 03:02:12 AM »

Here are some reviews of the radio interview I'm dying to hear. Apparently they played it on E! as well. And none of us saw it!!?? Well, maybe they'll replay it someday. Note I didn't find anything about the Yoko conversation. Maybe it wasn't what I thought. I would still love to see this interview though.

Interview With Paul McCartney

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 03:10:26 AM »

Wait! I did find this tiny blurb that DID include Yoko. Not much info though but it does allude to Paul telling such a story.

On the Howard Stern radio show yesterday, Sir Paul McCartney revealed that Yoko Ono, "first showed up at his door looking for love" before moving on to John Lennon. Leave it to Howard Stern to bring out the nasty comments.

And then another summary: I'm done now. Promise!

Howard interviews Paul McCartney live in the studio. An excerpt from the Archives reads:
10/18/01. 8:40am
The Beatles' Paul McCartney came in this morning to talk to Howard about many things and to promote his new single ''Lover to a Friend'' which comes out on October 29th.
The excitement in the studio was very high when Paul showed up. You could hear it in both Howard and Robin's voices that they were thrilled to have Paul there.

Paul told Howard that he has heard and seen his show on occasion. He said he'd listen in his car once in a while. His limo driver actually told him not to do Howard's show because he's so nasty but Paul decided to give it a try anyway.

Howard said that Paul must be one of the most loving guys in the world because he stayed with Linda so long. Howard seems to think that Paul could have had his choice of any woman but he stayed with Linda for 30 years. He claims that he was with her almost every day of his life from the time they were married until Linda died. The longest period he stayed away was when he was arrested in Japan for marijuana possession. He spent a short time telling Howard about that experience and how he thought he was going to be serving 7 years hard labor over there. Paul also told Howard he got his ''rock star'' lifestyle out of his system before he met Linda so he was ready to settle down with her. He also said everything was different with her when he met her.

Howard also questioned Paul about Yoko Ono and how she actually met him before she met John Lennon. Then she claimed that she didn't even know who the Beatles were. Paul said he couldn't say too much about Yoko because he could get in trouble with her. He did tell his side of the story though and it sounds like Yoko knew exactly who the Beatles were before she met John. Paul said that life's too short to worry about stuff like that though.

Howard asked Paul why he wasn't involved in the John Lennon Tribute that took place a few weeks ago. Paul said he had other things to do and he also thought it would be a little weird for him to be there singing the songs. Howard also brought up how Julian Lennon wasn't invited to the tribute. Once again Paul didn't want to get into that whole discussion in public.

Howard asked Paul what he thought about the rumor that their manager gave John Lennon oral sex at one point. Paul said that his theory was that it never happened. Paul said that whenever he saw John, whether he was sober or not, he was always with a woman.

Howard brought up Paul's current fiancee Heather and asked if his kids are still upset that he's going to get married. Paul said they've come around recently and they're not upset about the marriage. Howard seemed to think that the kids would be upset about losing their inheritance to their stepmother but Paul said he told them that won't happen. Paul also told Howard how he has tried to raise his kids like normal kids. He sent them to public schools so they'd grow up without being spoiled rich kids. He wanted them to experience real people so they'd respect them like he had to do. Paul told Howard that 15 months after Linda died he met Heather and he felt guilty that he was going with another woman. He said he walked around alone and asked Linda to give him a sign if it was okay to be going out with this other woman. He said he heard an owl hoot and he took that as a yes.

Michael Jackson's name also came up. Michael owns the publishing rights to the Beatles songs. Paul said he used to have a good relationship with Michael until he got the publishing rights. After that Paul said he wrote to Michael asking him for a raise on his royalties but he doesn't ever get an answer so he doesn't have much of a relationship with him anymore. He finds the whole situation ironic. Paul does own a lot of publishing rights to a lot of songs. He said he got advice from his father-in-law when he got married to Linda. He suggested that Paul invest his money in a music publishing company and that's what he ended up doing. It took all of the money he had at the time but it's paid off in the long run. Paul said it was very risky but he lucked out.

Howard has heard over the years that Paul would sometimes play drums instead of Ringo on some of their songs. Paul said that sometimes that would happen and no one else in the band would hold it against him. He said he'd sometimes play some of George Harrison's guitar parts too if he thought it would help the song. He said the other guys were cool with it.

Howard heard that Paul disliked Elvis' cover of ''Yesterday'' so he asked him about that. Paul said that he doesn't hate any of the cover versions of their songs. He said that the Elvis cover was funny because he screwed up the lyrics at one point. Howard played him a few clips from the cover songs from Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby and William Shatner. They all got a few laughs out of the songs.

Howard plugged Paul's new album ''Driving Rain'' which comes out November 13th. He also played the new single that Paul has coming out called ''Lover to a Friend.'' The proceeds from the song will go to the families of the police and fire department employees who were lost in the September 11th tragedy. Paul said that he was sitting in an airplane on the runway getting ready to fly back to England when the tragedy happened. He could actually see the smoke from the World Trade Center out the window of the plane. He's also playing a concert this Saturday that will also go to help those lost in the tragedy. Howard took a few phone calls including one from Vinnie Favale who was upset he wasn't allowed in the studio today. Howard told Vinnie earlier in the show that he ruined the Ringo Starr interview recently so he didn't want him doing the same to Paul's interview. Vinnie asked Paul a couple of questions and Howard cut him off. After the phone calls Howard let Paul go and took a break.

After the break Howard said that he was almost speechless when Paul walked in the studio. Gary said he was watching it on the monitor and it was a big deal when he came in.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 76 queries.