Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Favorite Quotes  (Read 19512 times)

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
Re: Favorite Quotes
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »

A cool quote by George Martin about Ringo:

"he was the cement that held the beatles together"

ahhh! I love Ringo!

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:12 AM »

^ Aww, that's a nice one, breedofrandy, I quite like it!! ^_^ (I quite like your signature and little sub-avatar message, by the way ;D )

My favorite John quote is:

"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" :).
Hehe, I like that one :)

And Wonderland, your quotes were really beautiful and touching... nice :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:30:54 AM by Octie »
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 08:02:43 PM »

^ Aww, that's a nice one, breedofrandy, I quite like it!! ^_^ (I quite like your signature and little sub-avatar message, by the way ;D )
Hehe, I like that one :)

And Wonderland, your quotes were really beautiful and touching... nice :)

Thank you Octie! I like your signature picture as well! It's so cute!

Ringo is the best! :)

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »

I found some more great quotes about Ringo from some people who knew him best.

--"He had a genial expansive manner when dealing with people -- an all-embracing good natured disposition to the world at large, but he wasn't one to see his confidences betrayed. There was a pluckiness about him, a no-nonsense way of dealing with things as they came along. Ringo was a small guy with a big heart." -- photographer Robert Freeman, author of The Beatles: A Private View(1990)

--"When Ringo lost his early inferiority complex within the Beatles, his natural humor emerged, usually in the form of witty one-liners, which even John Lennon found hard to follow. Unlike the others, he remained even-tempered and placid throughout the stormiest Beatlemania years. He avoided quarrels, demanded very little in terms of VIP attention, and there was never a trace of pretension or precariousness in his makeup." -- Tony Barrow in Bealtes Monthly(Feb. 1988)

--"He's so kind. He's polite and nice to everyone. ... Richie can be stuborn. You can't fabricate charm, and Richie has charm. He's so loving and giving and generous, always thinking about others." -- Barbara Bach, Ringo's wife (in an interview during the mid-1980s).

--'As always, Ringo remains the most human. Perhaps from the one from whom the least was expected the most has been given. -- Ray Hardy, writing a review of Ringo Starr: Straight Man or Joker in Good Day Sunshine(1993)

--"Both in public and, it appears, privately Ringo's unassuming good-natured personality provided a crucial balance between John's razor sharp wit, Paul's stagy coyness, and George's somber posturing." -- Ted Greenwald in The Beatles Companion(1992).

--"About the most remarkable thing Ringo has is this unique and very funny way of looking at the world. He is absolute master of the one-liner. ... Ringo's quirky vision comes out particularly in his use of language." -- George Martin, producer of the Beatles' albums and author of Summer of Love(1994)

--"Of all the Beatles, it was fitting that Ringo would be the one to remain amicable terms with the others in the aftermath of the group's breakup, when the polar friction between John and Paul was strongest. He was, after all, always the innocent, the quiet one, the bloke who was always just doing his job and the least inclined toward politics in the group." -- Martin Torgoff in The Compleat Beatles(1985).

--"Ringo was the home body, always less publicly visible than the others. To the world he was shy, soft, puerile, down-to-earth, funny, friendly, cute, lovable, vulnerable. Appropriately, the music his friends created for him, in addition to being perfectly tailored for his range and style embodied the above characteristics as well as reflected his tastes." -- Martin Torgoff in The Compleat Beatles(1985).

--"He remained placidly even tempered. By nature he was undemanding, kind and friendly ... Ringo was not a sad person. His face was molded into a deceptively unhappy expression. Until he made the muscles move into a deliberate smile." -- Tony Barrow in P.S. We Love You(1982).

--"I think he was very important to the Beatles. I began by thinking he was just a passenger, but there was something about him that kept them on the rails. He did have a tremendous wisdom and stability of character which quite often was very important. . . . John said that in an argument all he had to do was really get Ringo on his side and that it would be all right." -- Philip Norman in Beatlefan magazine(1981).

--"Ringo Starr was the humblest, most down-to-earth of the Beatles. Like the lovable runt of a litter, he seemed to stir a mother's instinct in female fans. ...Ringo changed the least, always the group's anchor, he remained the simplest and straight-forward of the four. -- Nicholas Scaffner, author of The Boys From Liverpool(1980).

--"The songs that were subsequently written for him always seemed to emphasize the affection which the others felt for him. With a Little Help From My Friends may have been composed with deliberate irony, but anyway it was the quintessential Ringo song. John and Paul had got Ringo down to a tee. He had such a winning affable personality and so many friends that his own failings were irrelevant since he never needed to do anything on his own." -- Jeremy Pascall, author of The Beatles Story(1974)

--"He's completely open and friendly, the sweetest of them all really. . He's not self-centered in any way. . . ...Ringo is a much stronger personality than he has appeared." -- Hunter Davies, author of The Beatles(1968)

--"He never takes credit for things. I think he often underestimates himself. He does forget what good ideas he has had, because he thinks he's not creative. He says it's for the others to have the good ideas, but he's good at many things. He's a good painter. I think films will be very good for him, so I hope they come off. He's great at all things. He's a lovely dancer." -- Maureen Starkey, wife of Richard Starkey, quoted in The Beatles by Hunter Davies (1968).

--"Ringo. He's cute. It's the only way to describe him." -- Mary "Aunt Mimi" Smith, John Lennon's aunt, said in 1964.(quoted in The Beatles in New Zealand(1993))

--"He has become an excellent Beatle and a devoted friend. He is warm and dry witted, a good drummer and I like him enormously. He is a very uncomplicated, very nice young man." -- Brian Epstein in A Cellar Full of Noise(1964)

--"We were all supposed to be something different. Paul was the face, I was the smart one, George with all his mysticism, was the spirit, and Ringo was the heart. I certainly don't have any hard feelings about him, never had a reason to." -- John Lennon

--"Ringo will always be my friend. -- George Harrison, Rolling Stone magazine (Oct. 1987)

--"We asked Ringo to go and talk to him (Paul) because ... Ringo had not taken sides, or anything like that , and he had been straight about it, and we thought Ringo would be able to talk fairly to Paul. I mean if Ringo agreed that it was unfair, then it was unfair." -- John Lennon in Lennon Remembers.

--"Ringo was simply the best drummer in Liverpool. Ringo also had native wit. He didn't know when he was being funny. Ringo Talked in titles. We had to follow him around with a notebook and pencil. You never know what he would say next." -- Paul McCartney, Off The Record (1988)

--"Ringo listened very carefully to what was happening on any song in progress. ... He was critical, in the same way that I could be critical of what the others were doing and not afraid to voice that criticism. He would suddenly say to John, "John, that's crap," whereupon John would look up over his glasses and murmur, "Oh really," and change it. Either that, or he'd make a rude remark back and then change whatever it was the Ringo had picked up on. Paul also took a great deal of notice of what Ringo said. He was a very effective guide, musically speaking; he had a good ear. Although he might not have always had that much to do, you could never forget that he was a major part of the group." -- George Martin, Summer of Love (1994)

--"The tradition that Ringo always had a song to sing on an album was nothing to do with the others being kind to him. ... Ringo occupied a special place in the hearts of many Beatles fans. The most common adjectives you heard about him were "cute and cuddly." Having him sing something on every album was extremely good marketing -- simple as that." -- George Martin, Summer of Love (1994)

--"It is inescapable that Ringo was the catalyst for the others. He certainly completed the jigsaw and The Beatles, with Ringo, became a magnet for the great camera artists of the world, a target for the jaded, lately hostile eyes of people who had hardly known that popular music existed." -- Brian Epstein, Cellar Full of Noise.

--"Playing without Ringo is like driving a car on three wheels." -- George Harrison (1964).

I got a little carried away...but they're really all great and so is Ringo! :D

Wonderland

• Getting Better
  • I'm as crazy as you want me to be
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2009, 09:21:31 AM »

Those quotes are all so sweet. Just like Ringo himself. He and John told the best jokes, didn't they? xD

One of my friends, who usually doesn't care for anybody who isn't 'current', loves Ringo Starr, which is pretty cool. =D

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2009, 02:18:51 PM »

Wow, what a awesome bunch of quotes, breedofrandy! 8)

--"Ringo was not a sad person. His face was molded into a deceptively unhappy expression. Until he made the muscles move into a deliberate smile." -- Tony Barrow in P.S. We Love You(1982(in an interview during the mid-1980s).
That made me think of another quote I read in another Tony Barrow book (John, Paul, George, Ringo & Me), where Ringo is quoted as saying "my face may not look too chuffed, but the rest of me is!" :D

By the way, do you know a website called Ringo Starr Homepage? I quite like it, there's a whole lot of lovely Ringo-quotes there :)

Hehe, I definitely agree with Wonderland's comment on the subject of sweetness ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:51:08 PM by Octie »
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 10:03:32 PM »

Wow, what a awesome bunch of quotes, breedofrandy! 8)
That made me think of another quote I read in another Tony Barrow book (John, Paul, George, Ringo & Me), where Ringo is quoted as saying "my face may not look too chuffed, but the rest of me is!" :D

By the way, do you know a website called Ringo Starr Homepage? I quite like it, there's a whole lot of lovely Ringo-quotes there :)

Hehe, I definitely agree with Wonderland's comment on the subject of sweetness ;D

Yes I have been there. I think it's great, they do have a lot of great things on there!
That book sounds interesting, is it any good? From the look of the quote from it, it does sound good.

I agree with Wonderland too! He is so sweet!! ;)

georgeharrisonluver

• A Thousand Pages
  • Here Comes the Sun
    • My Beatle's Tumblr!
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »

Great John quotes Wonderland! especially the second one...

Wonderland

• Getting Better
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2009, 11:17:22 AM »

Great John quotes Wonderland! especially the second one...

Thanks. (:

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 07:15:09 PM »

I heard this quote that Ringo said during the 2007 Rolling stones interview:

"John incredible friend, and we spent a lot of time out of the studio together because we both lived in Waybridge we had these houses five minutes apart and we had kids, and we would do that life as well. I mean the thing with John is they have this like cynical "Mr. Cynical", but he was really a big hearted guy, you know he was very loving."

"George was my real friend, it was hard when he went, John's was such a shock I think that ya dealt with it later, where with George you dealt with it as it was going on, so it was a lot harder in it's way. You have to say life is life...it happens ya know."

"As friends, as musicians we had a lot of time together, we actually didn't have a lot of time in years in a band, eight years. But then we had a lifetime together, ya know we had a lifetime in those eight years and then we had this other lifetime when we split up."

"It was interesting for me, while making the Ringo records, and everybody played on them. We came down and everyone supported what I was into then and ya know I played on John's first record, Paul went to Scotland on his first one, but I've played with him since and we support each other. And he was on my early records and George the same. I played on "All Things Must Pass" and all of that. Which was funny because he called and said uh Ringo are you on "All Things Must Pass"? and I said I don't think so, I don't know. And then he called back like two weeks later cause he researched it, and he said ya, you were on 80% of the record! I said hey it was a long time ago!"

"That's another thing ya know, I've played on a lot of stuff and it's..a lot it's getting to be like the big Jello now ya know what I mean?, it's like it's all mixed up in one, was I? was it that track? I have to hear it. Oh ya that's my drums."

I really find the parts where he talks about John and George touching and sweet.

Wonderland

• Getting Better
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »

He's really lovely, isn't he? ^_^

He has a very kind, accepting, sweet manner about him.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 11:00:18 PM »

He's really lovely, isn't he? ^_^

He has a very kind, accepting, sweet manner about him.

I know, he always seems so nice. I think he would be an awesome friend to have. So kind and caring. :)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:55:51 AM by breedofrandy »

Wonderland

• Getting Better
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »

Yeah, imagine having a friend like Ringo.

Side note, John looks really cute in that second picture. So does Ringo, actually.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »

Yeah, imagine having a friend like Ringo.

Side note, John looks really cute in that second picture. So does Ringo, actually.

Yah I thought John looked quite adorable in that picture. I found two like that, in this one John just looks so sweet!

And Ringo just always looks cute!  ;D

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »

I haven't seen this one posted by anyone, but it's my favourite quote by a mile.

The Beatles were invited to Oxford University for a charity event in 1963. One of the students there was Jeffrey Archer, who would eventually become a best selling novelist. He'd also be sent to jail for perjury, and more recently he's been found to have published someone else's short story as his own. Stole it, in other words. In the 80s and 90s he'd be the focus of any number of episodes involving fraud, dishonesty and BS on the grand scale. He would become, in fact, the man everyone should try to avoid. But in 1963 he was just busy being Mr Fixit, sticking his finger in every pie, and battening onto anyone who could give him a shove up the ladder. Predictably, he tried to capitalise on the Beatles' fame, and made sure he got into this photo (that's him on the right):-

But Ringo was immune to his charm. During a visit to the toilets he met Sheridan Morley (later a theatre critic) and asked him who this Archer character was. Then he offered his own opinion:"He strikes me as the kind of bloke who'd bottle your p*ss and sell it".

He might easily have added, "Remember, you heard it from me first". Because many very educated people have tried to sum up Jeffrey Archer in the decades following, but no one captured his essence with such accuracy and wit as Ringo did back then.

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »

Not sure if this was posted I didn't read all of the post

The Queen:How long have you been together?
Paul and Ringo:We've been together for 40 years

John:Me! sir me! I wanna go! me! sir take me!

Reporter:So what are your plans now?
John:We haven't made any yet

Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »

Not sure if this was posted I didn't read all of the post

The Queen:How long have you been together?
Paul and Ringo:We've been together for 40 years

I've always loved that one!  ;D
------------------------
Q: "A psychiatrist in Seattle is saying that you are a menace - You bring out the destructive instincts in teenagers, and you oughta be banned."

George: "Psychiatrists are menaces, too."

---------------------------------

Q: "Ringo Starr, it's been suggested that boys coming from the particular area that you've come from, if you'd hadn't found an interest in music, might have found it much more difficult to get out and make a go of life. Would you comment on this?"

Ringo: "I think it's true, you know. I mean, when I was sixteen I used to walk along the road with the rest of the lads, and we'd have all our trade coats on. You know, we'd had a few knocks with other rival gangs, sort of thing. But then I got the drums, and the bloke nextdoor played a guitar. and I got a job..."

John: (sings) "'Teddy Booooy!'"

------------------------------
Q: "John, where did this title come from - 'Help'?"

John: "It came from out of Dick Lester's mouth, it came. Our director, friends."

Ringo: "I thought it came out of his shoe."

http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/interviews.html  <----- 74 Beatles interviews.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »

^^Really cute stuff there Emmi!  ha2ha

I like the shoe bit!

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2009, 03:13:56 AM »

"...there is one thing I have learned and that is not to dress uncomfortably, in styles which hurt: winklepicker shoes that cripple your feet and tight pants that squash your balls." -george harrison from autobiography 'I Me Mine' I thought this quote was pretty funny and should be a hint towards the emo bands that are popular these days, lmao :P

George does not approve.

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2009, 12:04:54 AM »

Ringo: And that was the first time I had smoked marijuana and I laughed and laughed, and laughed!                    ahhhhh i love that one
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.781 seconds with 82 queries.