Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any one here MET a Beatle?  (Read 5060 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Any one here MET a Beatle?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 10:25:15 AM »

Great one, Maccalennon!

Did they give you your book at the end? Which book was it?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 10:39:20 AM »

Quote from: 373
Not much to tell. I took the wife to a Ringo concert for her birthday and we had front row center seats. I threw my hat onstage and Ringo wore it while singing 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and then discarded it. I was p*ssed I didnt get it back. it was a nice hat.

Now that's a story.
But I have to ask: did Ringo ask for a hat? Or did you throw it on stage in a moment of wild abandon (you crazy kid you)? Or were you trying to land it on the cymbals or something?
Also, a brief description of the hat will finish the picture nicely.
Thank you.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »

As I've described on another thread (Raxo can probably find it!), I met Paul and Linda in the Virgin Megastore, Marble Arch in '74 I think. They were going around with a shopping trolly full of vinyl. They were very nice, and patient, as a lot of people wanted autographs. I then met both of them again at The Royal Photographic Society in Bath. Linda was having an exhibition and as I'm a member I got an invite to the opening night. Paul signed my copy of A Hard Days Night. He was very keen that people focus on Linda and not him. This was around 1992/3. That's it really. Seen Ringo once but he was accross a busy street, so never met him.

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 12:48:08 PM »

Quote from: 568
Great one, Maccalennon!

Did they give you your book at the end? Which book was it?

Yeah Paul signed all the books while we waited and then just handed us the book as we got to the desk where he was sitting. I think he did this so that he could briefly talk to people as they came up rather than have his head in book whilst they talked to the back of his head. The was called High In The Clouds which is a childrens book.

I nearly repeated the feat last year when he did another signing, this time at virgin megastore where he was signing copies of The Space DVD. They didnt do a wristband thing for that it was just first come first served. I was 7 people from the front when we were told that he had left .

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »

Lucky :P

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 03:15:41 AM »

My friend's dad claims he hung around them in Hamburg when he wasa guard at the prison where Rudolf Hess was kept. Spandau?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 06:59:03 AM »

Quote from: 593
My friend's dad claims he hung around them in Hamburg when he wasa guard at the prison where Rudolf Hess was kept. Spandau?

He must have gone for a weekend then. Spandau Prison is in Berlin, quite a distance from Hamburg.

ewomack

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 02:04:06 AM »

Hm. The closest I've ever come (apart from a Paul McCartney concert) was a guy I had dinner with a few weeks ago. He was at the Beatles' not so acclaimed 1965 Minnesota concert. It didn't sell out. No one made a big deal about it. Somehow they irked the local radio stations and they vowed never to return to Minnesota.

He summed up the concert this way: "I saw them but didn't hear them."
Ed Womack
Get Milked

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »

I unfortunately haven't met any of them- or even anyone closely linked to them!  ??)

But a couple of anicdotes from people I know...

- My Mum's friend saw George Harrison sitting in a park near Haight Ashbury strumming a guitar. She kind of walked past him, then realised it was him and stopped and walked back a few paces and just looked at him. Apparently he was giving off a strong 'don't bother me' vibe so she respected that and moved on. Cool though hm?

- My best friend's Dad met all the Beatles. He was in Weston-Super-Mare for a Beatles concert, waiting for his secretary who was car-hitching down to meet him there. Tragically, she was abused and violently attacked by a man who had taken her into his car so she arrived in a really bad state. The Beatles had just come out of the venue from performing (guess my friend's Dad must have missed it whilst waiting for his secretary) and my friend's Dad was yelling for help because his secretary was in a bad way and needed an ambulance so the Beatles came rushing over and got them help. The Beatles later went to the hospital and John bought her flowers because they felt bad for what had happened and the fact that it was due to the secretary trying to get to see them in concert that the whole thing had happened. Apparently they were really lovely guys who were genuine, down to earth and sensitive. I love this story  :)

<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 08:17:28 PM »

No... I didn't know if that counted as a "beatle".....

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2007, 09:12:26 PM »

Maccalennon ... thanks for the description of the Waterstones signing - absolutely amazing!
And Tkitna - the hat story is so cool - especially how it was for 'With a Little Help From My Friends' ... that hat is now immortalised :)

---

I've never met any Beatle :(
Only seen Paul at one of his gigs .... . . ..  .. . (How Depressing)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »

Quote from: 158
I've never met any Beatle :(
Only seen Paul at one of his gigs .... . . ..  .. . (How Depressing)

Atleast you've been to one of his gigs... I've been waiting my whole life to go see a Beatle...

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2007, 03:56:16 AM »

I have never met a Beatle and I will never meet a Beatle but I know three people who have met a Beatle and I hate them for it!  >:(

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2007, 04:25:53 PM »

Quote from: 553
My best friend's Dad met all the Beatles. He was in Weston-Super-Mare for a Beatles concert, waiting for his secretary who was car-hitching down to meet him there. ... Apparently they were really lovely guys who were genuine, down to earth and sensitive. I love this story  :)
What a great story, Tangerine. Thanks for sharing it!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

missbluesky56

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 08:30:09 PM »

I wish I did.... I wish they were all alive, so I could meet all of them
<br />All Together Now!!! Yellow Submarine<br />

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »

I never met a Beatle, but I once saw John and Paul get out of a limo and go into a stage door at the Paramount Theater in NYC in September, 1964. I had been waiting across the street, behind a wooden barricade for about an hour. They really looked like gods. It made a strong impression on me at the time.

I met Brian Epstein once in May, 1964.

Gerry and the Pacemakers were doing the Ed Sullivan Show. They were staying at the Americana Hotel on Seventh Avenue a block away. I was eleven years old and some teenage girls told me what floor the band was on. They said I could get up there easily if I pretended to be a hotel guest, because I was a boy.

I got past security and took an elevator up to the right floor and knocked on a few doors. Mr. Epstein, dressed in a white business shirt with a light blue collar, opened a door and said, "Yes, may I help you?" I was so flabbergasted, that I asked if it was okay to shake his hand. He said sure. Then I asked him for an autograph, which he gave me. He pleaded for me to excuse him because, " the boys are in the middle of a photo session."

What a gentleman.

I went back downstairs to the girls who had put me up to this, so I could proudly display my Brian Eptein autograph. When I showed it to them, someone said they would give me $5. for it. I pointed to the prettiest of them all, and said, "you can have it for a kiss."

True story.

Gloi

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 06:14:41 PM »

A friend of ours met The Beatles backstage at Preston Public Hall in 1963. After the show John went back to Liverpool in the van with Neil, Paul went to Nelson to judge a beauty pageant and  George & Ringo went to a party at a house in Preston that our friend also went to.  :)

I've never met any of them to talk to :-( , however I was once stuck in a lift in the Adelphi hotel, Liverpool with Gerry Marsden and we talked about being stuck in a lift.

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »

Quote from: 483
I met Paul and Linda [...] at The Royal Photographic Society in Bath. Linda was having an exhibition and as I'm a member I got an invite to the opening night. Paul signed my copy of A Hard Days Night. He was very keen that people focus on Linda and not him. This was around 1992/3. That's it really.

I was at that RPS night too! I was 16 at the time (I grew up in Bath), and felt like the luckiest person. It was 9 October 1992 - I remember telling a reporter from the Bath Chronicle that it was Lennon's birthday, and he worked it in to his report, along with a quote from me (I don't think I have the cutting anymore, sadly).

I wrote about it briefly on another thread: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1081452096/s-all/#num86
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 09:15:46 AM »

Quote from: 1509

I was at that RPS night too! I was 16 at the time (I grew up in Bath), and felt like the luckiest person. It was 9 October 1992 - I remember telling a reporter from the Bath Chronicle that it was Lennon's birthday, and he worked it in to his report, along with a quote from me (I don't think I have the cutting anymore, sadly).

I wrote about it briefly on another thread: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1081452096/s-all/#num86

Nice one Joe. I've never met anyone else who went to that. You were lucky to get a ticket.

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »

I know. I think my parents knew someone who was an RPS member, and - somewhat incredibly - didn't want to go. So me and a fellow Beatles-obsessed friend went along. There were crowds of people waiting behind barriers outside for the McCartneys - who were only rumoured to be turning up - and inside it became a bit of a scrum too.

I bought a copy of the Sixties book before they arrived. I remember people inside watching Paul and Linda as they entered, but nobody bothering him too much. But being young and bold I bowled up to them and asked if they'd sign the book. That seemed to open the floodgates and they signed a great many more autographs for the next hour or so.

I remember at one point, later on, asking Linda to put a date in my book. "Can't you write it yourself?" she replied. "Well, it's John Lennon's birthday and it'd really mean a lot to me..." I don't think they'd realised the date, but that was enough to persuade her. I even called her Mrs McCartney to try and be extra polite!

I had long hair and granny glasses at the time, looking a little like Lennon circa the White Album. Quite different to my 32-year-old self today! Sigh...

I'd love to hear your memories of the night. It seems so long ago now.
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 95 queries.