Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Anyone collect their vinyls?  (Read 59565 times)

KelMar

Re: Anyone collect their vinyls?
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2011, 03:03:24 AM »

Im about to sell about 250 rock albums, I never play them and were sick of moving them everytime we build, dont know whether to sell as a whole or one by one on ebay, trouble with that is posting them all  ha2ha

How about breaking them up in lots on eBay? That would make for easier shipping and listing.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2011, 08:51:58 AM »

Im about to sell about 250 rock albums, I never play them and were sick of moving them everytime we build, dont know whether to sell as a whole or one by one on ebay, trouble with that is posting them all  ha2ha

eBay can be a pain when selling vinyl. I was given a bunch of LPs a few months back. There were a lot of albums by bands I wasn't interested in so I decided to sell them on eBay. I tried selling them in groups of albums by the same band - four LPs in one auction, or whatever - but the maximum postage I could charge for a vinyl LP auction was £4 and it ended up costing well over that to post the records. They only sold for a few quid anyway so I don't think I made any money at all on most of them by the time I paid the eBay fees and postage/packing costs.
It's only really worth selling the rarer pieces and the ones in really good condition - but then you have to put up loads of photos and a long description, which takes ages if you are listing albums individually.
It may be worth trying to sell them all in one go and saying that the buyer must collect - and before using eBay try local listings websites like Gumtree where you can post ads for free and ask for a fixed price for them.

nimrod

« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »

thanks for the advice guys, I think a bulk sell is the way to go, I dont expect much for them so I dont want to spend hours photographing them etc etc, I might check out gumtree peter, would be cheaper than ebay anyway and the buyer collects, I like that..

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2011, 05:33:49 PM »

Didn't mention this in my previous post but I have just remembered that, up in the attic, I have loads of vinyl singles from the 60s onwards including an unbroken run of all the UK number one singles from 1977 until the beginning of 1995. Most are in original picture sleeves. I have often thought about selling them as a job lot....

Coincidentally, TODAY!! I was driving behind a van with the number of a local dealer on the back who collects (nationwide within the UK) second hand vinyl records and sells them for you...

Any advice on the best place to get these records valued first? I would not have a clue what they are worth.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

Any advice on the best place to get these records valued first? I would not have a clue what they are worth.

Music Stack is a great place to buy old vinyl records:  http://www.musicstack.com/

You can use their listings as a guide to the value of your records.
I can stay till it's time to go

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »

Thanks for that HG  ;)

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »

Didn't mention this in my previous post but I have just remembered that, up in the attic, I have loads of vinyl singles from the 60s onwards including an unbroken run of all the UK number one singles from 1977 until the beginning of 1995. Most are in original picture sleeves. I have often thought about selling them as a job lot....

Coincidentally, TODAY!! I was driving behind a van with the number of a local dealer on the back who collects (nationwide within the UK) second hand vinyl records and sells them for you...

There's a brilliant book produced by Record Collector magazine which gives valuations for UK releases ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-Collector-Price-Guide-Magazine/dp/095326016X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309896671&sr=8-1

KelMar

« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2011, 03:03:07 AM »

Quote from: peterbell1
eBay can be a pain when selling vinyl.

I'm not suprised to hear that. eBay is a pain in general, at least over here in the US. I used to do a lot of selling on there but they've been ticking me off lately. I have stuff to get rid of though so I guess I'd better just get back at it.  ;D

nimrod

« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2011, 05:29:04 AM »

Music Stack is a great place to buy old vinyl records:  http://www.musicstack.com/

You can use their listings as a guide to the value of your records.

I just went to that site and one of my albums is priced at $268  :o

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #209 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »

I just went to that site and one of my albums is priced at $268  :o

Yeah, there are some vastly over-inflated prices on there.
I used to sell my own vinyl on a similar site and they charge a lot of commission, so you put your prices up accordingly.
Plus sellers tend to list stuff at the maximum price they think they can get for something. They are happy to wait for months until the right sucker buyer comes along and pays what they are asking, without researching and finding out they can get it much cheaper elsewhere.

What a seller thinks something is worth and what buyers are prepared to pay are (usually) two totally different things.

The best way of checking the value of something is to search for similar items in eBay's completed listings - if the average price comes out at $268 then great, but unfortunately I bet it will be way lower.
Or use price guides like the one I mentioned earlier, which have prices based on real-world sales, not figures plucked out of the air.

nimrod

« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »

this site tells you what price an album has fetched, heres the one I have it fetched 95 english pounds, mine is in much better condition (yesterday I wouldve sold it for a dollar)

http://www.popsike.com/STEVE-SKINNER-FACE-IN-DARK-OZ-orig-LONER-PROG-PSYCH-LP/330492042446.html

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »

this site tells you what price an album has fetched, heres the one I have it fetched 95 english pounds, mine is in much better condition (yesterday I wouldve sold it for a dollar)

http://www.popsike.com/STEVE-SKINNER-FACE-IN-DARK-OZ-orig-LONER-PROG-PSYCH-LP/330492042446.html

Excellent!
Records like that one are certainly worth trying to sell on eBay - use plenty of pictures and give a nice detailed description to reassure vinyl buyers that they aren't getting a scratched piece of junk.
And try to find internet forums dedicated to that kind of music and go on there and see if anyone is interested. I know some people aren't keen on sellers going on forums just to advertise stuff, but I have never had a problem with it as long as it is relevant and legit and you aren't filling a forum with "spam".
Good luck with it!

dsg7286

• One And One Is Two
    • Beatles '64-'70 American Discography page
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »

Reading through this thread has actually inspired me to join this board and to make a new Facebook page dedicated to their American-only LP's!

I own the following LP's:

Meet the Beatles
Beatles Second Album
Something New (Apple label)
Beatles '65
The Early Beatles (Capitol green label!)
Beatles VI (another Capitol green label)
Help!
Rubber Soul (Apple label)
Yesterday and Today
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's
Magical Mystery Tour
The White Album (not original, just an orange Captiol label with no inserts)
Abbey Road (newer Apple re-issue)
Hey Jude (Apple Beatles Again label)
Let it Be (orignal red Apple label)
Red Album 1962-1966
Rock 'n Roll Music
The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl
DSG

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2012, 01:47:09 AM »

Hey, dsg, I know the "purists" can't stand the U.S. Capitol releases but that's how I came to know their music and I love 'em.

As for posting to the topic, I have all of the American releases on vinyl (VeeJay as well) including duplicates (some are original releases and some are reissues). I have many of their original 45s with pic sleeves. I also have the entire UK catalog on vinyl (LPs & EPs) - both as individuals and the highly sought after Blue Box sets as well as the MFSL box set and individuals. I also enjoyed collecting Imports from countries such as Canada, Mexico, Uruguay, Italy, Sweden, Germany, Spain, etc. My favorite Imports (and probably the most valuable) are my Red wax Japanese LPs. I collected Picture Discs and colored vinyl, too. I have all of their solo releases on vinyl up through around 1999-2000.

I like CDs because of their convenient size but I wouldn't trade my vinyl for the world (well, I probably would, but you know what I mean). 
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

KelMar

« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2012, 03:57:38 AM »

I know the "purists" can't stand the U.S. Capitol releases but that's how I came to know their music and I love 'em.

They're special to me too. My sister left hers at home when she got married and I discovered them and her record player when I was in second grade. I liked The Beatles already but once I claimed these for myself it was all over!

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2012, 04:31:09 AM »

They're special to me too. My sister left hers at home when she got married and I discovered them and her record player when I was in second grade. I liked The Beatles already but once I claimed these for myself it was all over!

Did your sister own any of the original releases?

KelMar

« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2012, 04:37:42 AM »

Did your sister own any of the original releases?

Yep, they were all original. Unfortunately my brother and his friends "updated" The Beatles' looks on the cover of Introducing the Beatles, giving them long hair and beards. And I did a little doodling of my own on a few so the only value they have is sentimental but in that respect they are worth a fortune.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:12 AM »

Well, at least you do still have them - and now they're "rare and unique", too!  :)

KelMar

« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2012, 05:23:58 AM »

Well, at least you do still have them - and now they're "rare and unique", too!  :)

They actually ended up at my brother's house. He took them home and in doing so introduced his children to the music. After he passed away I thought about getting them back but discovered just how much they mean to my niece so I haven't mentioned it. My sister is gone as well and her kids have no interest in them so they are where they should be. I just hope and pray that my sister-in-law never decideds to get rid of them. My niece listens to them when she visits her mom and I imagine that listening to them there is more meaningful to her.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2012, 05:10:11 AM »

As the US Capitol versions are what you enjoy listening to do you have the Capitol Box Sets?
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Page created in 0.695 seconds with 82 queries.