Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Greatest Male Rock Voice of the 1960s  (Read 7448 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Greatest Male Rock Voice of the 1960s
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2006, 06:00:03 AM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power

I think he probably saw the humor of it - after all, Jim Morrison singing such an over-the-top love song is pretty funny.

I don't think Jim Morrison was the type of person that would do anything against his will. If he would've hated "Touch Me", it probably wouldn't have been recorded let alone performed live.

I think Jim was a team player. I don't think he would have insulted Robbie like that. And it was a big hit for them. It probably sounds silly today, but in the 60's I'm sure it was more the norm. I don't know why people don't like it. It's fits his crooner voice well. I like the 'stronger than dirt' touch too.  

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2006, 06:02:29 AM »

Quote from: adamzero

I bet that's a neat clip.  Jim's a great singer--a real force of nature.

It's a great video. But all of their videos are great. I especially love Moonlight Drive. The version where they show Jim falling off the stage on purpose at the end. I also love Love Me Two Times where he sings with his eyes closed most of the video. Roadhouse Blues is also very cool. And of course The Unknown Soldier. Although they did go a little over the top for that one.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2006, 06:53:59 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
I think Jim was a team player. I don't think he would have insulted Robbie like that.

I'm not too sure Jim was a team player. It's a well known fact that he could be a terrible pain in the @ss, even to his band mates.

In fact, John Densmore had some kind of rash on his legs that was according to his doctor caused by stress. He got it soon after he joined the Doors and it dissapeared a few days after Jim died...

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2006, 07:57:05 PM »

It's impossible to separate Morrison from the Doors.  Hard to imagine him solo or them with another singer.  It's weird how they "imprinted" each other.

And Robbie Krieger wrote hit songs.  I never understood why he didn't continue in some capacity after Jim's death.  I know they put out that three-member Doors album, but I've heard it pretty much sucked.  

I guess he and Manzarek are touring now with a Jim-stand-in (and without Densmore).  

Weird scenes inside the goldmine . . . .

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »

I guess he and Manzarek are touring now with a Jim-stand-in (and without Densmore).  

Ian Astbury of The Cult is the Jim-stand-in. Could've been worse...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2006, 12:26:52 AM »

I'm not too sure Jim was a team player. It's a well known fact that he could be a terrible pain in the @ss, even to his band mates.

In fact, John Densmore had some kind of rash on his legs that was according to his doctor caused by stress. He got it soon after he joined the Doors and it dissapeared a few days after Jim died...

Why then has he worked with Morrison's family to prevent the other two from touring as 'the Doors' if he had such issues with Morrison. Jim may have been a pain in the ass at times, but he was brilliant and they knew it. And what rock band doesn't have a member or two that causes their fair share of stress for the others?

If people have seen Morrison in interviews and backstage footage, then they know how normal he was. Unlike Stone's caricature. I mean, as soon as that indian showed up, people should have realized Stone was full of sh*t.

Anway, Jim was an alcoholic. And what alcoholic isn't self-destructive? And on top of that, it was the sixties and he was surrounded by drugged out losers who wanted a piece of him. That and the whole attention a rock star gets was an awful lot of pressure for one guy. Plus, the others said that trial took a lot out of him. He was very upset over it.  He was trying to straighten himself up in Paris when who knows what happened.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2006, 09:15:34 AM »

Why then has he worked with Morrison's family to prevent the other two from touring as 'the Doors' if he had such issues with Morrison.  

I didn't say he had issues with Morrison. Obviously Morrison sometimes made him really nervous, but that doesn't mean he hated him.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2006, 09:18:36 AM »

If people have seen Morrison in interviews and backstage footage, then they know how normal he was.

Yes, pretty much everyone who knew Morrison said he was a very normal, likeable guy when he was sober. And a complete @sshole when he was drunk. And he was drunk pretty often.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »

People are strange when they're a stranger . . .

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2006, 11:38:15 PM »

I didn't say he had issues with Morrison. Obviously Morrison sometimes made him really nervous, but that doesn't mean he hated him.

Oh, sorry. I kind of assumed from the whole rash thing! Either way, I agree that he became difficult. I just think it's wrong to buy into the whole Val Kilmer portrayal of him. Which was a joke.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2006, 06:18:16 PM »

I kinda liked Val in The Doors.  Kyle McLachlan was great as Manzarek and the dude who played Robbie was good too.  

It's the best thing I've ever seen Kilmer in.  It's also one of my favorite Oliver Stone movie because it's not as preachy, conspiracy-minded as his others.  Great acid sequences.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2006, 12:15:26 PM »

I just think it's wrong to buy into the whole Val Kilmer portrayal of him. Which was a joke.

You should blame Oliver Stone, and not Val Kilmer for that... I think Kilmer actually did a great job. His singing voice sounds EXACTLY like Morrison's, and the concert scenes in the movie are amazing.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2006, 03:51:56 AM »

I do blame Stone! He's a huge revisionist and didn't bother to get his facts straight. Most of that movie was based on hearsay and Stone's vision of what Morrison should be. It was a farce. I don't blame Kilmer for anything except I didn't like him as Jim. He did an okay caricature, but I just didn't buy it. He annoyed me with his over the top portrayal. Morrison was less freakish. And Kilmer isn't half as good looking as Jim. Anyone who really wants to know who Jim was should read Danny Sugerman's bio No One Here Gets Out Alive and rent a couple of Doors dvds.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2006, 01:45:09 PM »

^He might just be covering his ars*, but I saw a Stone interview where he said that The Doors wasn't supposed to be a strict biography of Jim, but more a parable of the whole sixties drug culture thing. He freely admited exagerating to gain effect.
I didn't like it because I don't like Stone as a director. He's as subtle as a brick.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2006, 08:11:48 PM »

I think people just shouldn't make (partially) fictionally movies about people that really excisted. That's just wrong. Either write a fictional story or just stick to the facts...

But still, the concert scenes in that movie are awesome.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2006, 03:29:36 AM »

Oliver Stone's got it down pat.  Make bio-historical movies (Nixon, JFK, The Doors) about people who are dead and can't answer back, and then claim "artistic license" for the discrepancies.  

He certainly chose the most sensationalized aspects of Jim's bio, but I think the movie did capture the "LA Woman" intensity/soullessness/mystery of LA.  There was also a good bit by Crispin Glover (I think) as Andy Warhol.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2006, 03:54:12 AM »

I live in Los Angeles, and it's far from souless. You're thinking of Hollywood. I'm not just talking about the movie Hollywood, but the strip where all the clubs and dregs hand out. Like, say, Paris Hilton?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2006, 03:56:45 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
^He might just be covering his ars*, but I saw a Stone interview where he said that The Doors wasn't supposed to be a strict biography of Jim, but more a parable of the whole sixties drug culture thing. He freely admited exagerating to gain effect.
I didn't like it because I don't like Stone as a director. He's as subtle as a brick.

Then he should have used a fictional character or composite of several rock stars. And don't call it the Doors, make up some band. He's full of sh*t. He IS just covering his ass. He knows people are going to take it as fact if they don't know better.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2006, 10:06:26 AM »

Oliver Stone's got it down pat.  Make bio-historical movies (Nixon, JFK, The Doors) about people who are dead and can't answer back, and then claim "artistic license" for the discrepancies.  

Interesting detail is that Oliver Stone actually gave the very first script he wrote for a movie about The Doors to Jim Morrison himself, some 20+ years before the movie was actually made...

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2006, 04:16:39 AM »

I shouldn't have said "soulless."  LA is a great city.  I've lived in Santa Monica and loved it.  Got friends in Larchmont and Pacific Palisades.  

I know what you mean about Hollywood and the Sunset Strip, but I wish I had been on the Strip in the mid-60s, the Byrds playing the Troubadour, Doors at the Whiskey-a-go-go.  

I still like The Doors movie for some reason.  Maybe because it recreates that golden era of the LA music scene before the 70s wimp-rock and the 80s hairbands.  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 75 queries.