Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Which do you prefer? The White Album  (Read 13592 times)

Ollier

• A Beginning
Which do you prefer? The White Album
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:23:43 AM »

John:
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Julia
Yer Blues
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Revolution 1
Cry Baby Cry
Revolution 9
What's The New Mary Jane?
Revolution

Paul:
Back In The USSR
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Wild Honey Pie
Martha My Dear
Blackbird
Rocky Racoon
Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
I Will
Birthday
Mother Nature's Son
Helter Skelter
Honey Pie
Can You Take Me Back?
Hey Jude
Keeping you on your toes...

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Which do you prefer? The White Album
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:43:53 AM »

John:
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Julia
Yer Blues
Sexy Sadie
Revolution 1
Cry Baby Cry
Revolution 9
What's The New Mary Jane?
Revolution

Paul:
Back In The USSR
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Wild Honey Pie
Martha My Dear
Blackbird
Rocky Racoon
Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
I Will
Birthday
Mother Nature's Son
Helter Skelter
Honey Pie
Can You Take Me Back?
Hey Jude
I found 4 on each list I'm not crazy about but I think John's gutsy return to his R&R takes my vote.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 04:13:24 AM »

Overall I'd probably plump for the John cuts.  While Revolution 9 and Mary Jane are never going to make a "best of" pretty much every other song I'm happy to listen to.

There's probably more songs id skip on Paul's list.

Not much in it though. There's excellent stuff on both sides.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 06:42:06 AM »

I'd take John's tunes.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »

Sorry, neither hangs as well without the contrast the other's songs provide.  You need a McCartney song somewhere in the mix to break up the John string of songs and same the other way.  Even though they basically were solo-ish songs (many of them) by themselves would never hang win them together as a Beatle album.

I realize that isn't where the question was intended to go but I took it as which would I rather listen to.  Both lists get weaker when the others' songs are excluded IMO.

If pressed, I would call it a draw.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »

Sorry, neither hangs as well without the contrast the other's songs provide.  You need a McCartney song somewhere in the mix to break up the John string of songs and same the other way.  Even though they basically were solo-ish songs (many of them) by themselves would never hang win them together as a Beatle album.

I realize that isn't where the question was intended to go but I took it as which would I rather listen to.  Both lists get weaker when the others' songs are excluded IMO.

Excellent, my thoughts exactly.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 03:02:12 PM »

Yes, very well put. This is exactly how I feel as well. I tend to favor John's songs, but they appeal to me even more when they are "leavened" with Paul's lighter material.

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »

a draw for me   glassesslip

but then, I love Prudence & Warm Gun so much it may just tip it in Johns favour 

;sorry

;yes

???

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:14 PM »

For sure. One of the big pluses of Beatle albums is the contrast between John and Paul. And the White Album benefits from some good George cuts as well.

So separating them definitely weakens them. I just think pound for pound Johns songs are a bit stronger on this album.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »

I agree that each requires the other to provide balance, but overall I've always felt The White Album was dominated by Paul. One or two of John's tracks would certainly be at or near the top of the pile for me, but I just feel that Paul maintains a more consistently high standard overall, and I always get the feeling that an uncharacteristically passive John's heart just isn't in it (apart from "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" - and that has a very McCartneyesque structure to it) until we reach side three.

nimrod

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 04:21:47 AM »

I agree that each requires the other to provide balance, but overall I've always felt The White Album was dominated by Paul. One or two of John's tracks would certainly be at or near the top of the pile for me, but I just feel that Paul maintains a more consistently high standard overall, and I always get the feeling that an uncharacteristically passive John's heart just isn't in it (apart from "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" - and that has a very McCartneyesque structure to it) until we reach side three.

Id say it has more a Lennon-esque structure to it, in the way of differing time signatures, for me it reeks of a John Lennon song, a lot of his change time signature here and there, Rain, Walrus, She Said She Said, Good Morning, Mr Kite for example.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 04:23:07 AM »

My tally has it 12 to 11 in favor of John.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »

I often read that the White Album wasn't a typical Beatles-Album, as John & Paul were composing more individually, than together. So I think that this album is sort of patchwork of their own songs, in a positive way.

These are my favourites:

John:
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Yer Blues
Sexy Sadie
Revolution 1
Cry Baby Cry

Paul:
Back In The USSR
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Rocky Racoon
Birthday
Helter Skelter
Hey Jude

Snoopy

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »

The White Album is definitely an example of something being better than the sum of its parts.

Reading the songs divided between John & Paul doesn't stir me, and yet mixed up, and spliced with the 4 George songs, and the record is, in my opinion, virtually faultless.
Indeed, given my love for 'Wonderwall Music' and 'McCartney', I think it would have make an even better triple LP.

On the other hand, the original opinions (and not the revised history) on 'Exile On Main Street' were right.....'Exile', again in my opinion, would have made a much better single LP.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »

Hi Nimrod....

Re my comment about "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" being McCartneyesque in structure... it comes over to me as three separate songs expertly blended together, which I've always felt is something of a Macca trademark - the gentle, soothing opening ("She's not a girl who misses much...") followed by the punchy interlude ("Mother Superior jump the gun") before blossoming into the high octane climax ("Bang bang shoot shoot!") - three quite different tracks somehow seamlessly woven together. Although John sometimes shifted gear within a song (from your list I'd go along with "I Am The Walrus" which has a very obvious change in tempo) these three-songs-in-one-medley compositions are to my mind quite rare from Lennon, whereas McCartney used the pattern over and over again ("Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey", "Band On The Run" etc). That said, I'm struggling to think of an example that pre-dates "Warm Gun". Maybe Paul liked that shape and went onto using it so successfully that I as a modern listener now think of the structure as "McCartneyesque"?

I just wish John had shrugged off some of the somnolence prior to his excellent offerings on the third of four vinyl sides. Great tracks but "Dear Prudence", "Julia" and (appropriately enough) "I'm So Tired" seem to find him half asleep, and whilst no one could outdo Lennon when it came to turning a repetitive slogan into an anthemic melody, "The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill" does tend to plod forward into a drone after a while. Your wish that he'd provided a bit more bite and venom into the "Cry Baby Cry" vocal is precisely what I wish he'd done with the over-wispy "Prudence"... could have been a fabulous track if he'd only vocally stepped up a gear before the end.

Paul on the other hand was straight on the money from the get go: "Back In The USSR" is a belter and I find his a much more "in your face" presence than John's throughout most of the album.

Jimothy17

• One And One Is Two
Which do you prefer? The White Album
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »

Paul's stuff takes it in the end. Boy that was hard. John's rock n roll songs were quite fine but some of Paul's songs on this record are among my all time favorites...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:10:50 PM by Jimothy17 »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 01:49:53 AM »

Hi Nimrod....

Re my comment about "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" being McCartneyesque in structure... it comes over to me as three separate songs expertly blended together, which I've always felt is something of a Macca trademark - the gentle, soothing opening ("She's not a girl who misses much...") followed by the punchy interlude ("Mother Superior jump the gun") before blossoming into the high octane climax ("Bang bang shoot shoot!") - three quite different tracks somehow seamlessly woven together. Although John sometimes shifted gear within a song (from your list I'd go along with "I Am The Walrus" which has a very obvious change in tempo) these three-songs-in-one-medley compositions are to my mind quite rare from Lennon, whereas McCartney used the pattern over and over again ("Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey", "Band On The Run" etc). That said, I'm struggling to think of an example that pre-dates "Warm Gun". Maybe Paul liked that shape and went onto using it so successfully that I as a modern listener now think of the structure as "McCartneyesque"?

I just wish John had shrugged off some of the somnolence prior to his excellent offerings on the third of four vinyl sides. Great tracks but "Dear Prudence", "Julia" and (appropriately enough) "I'm So Tired" seem to find him half asleep, and whilst no one could outdo Lennon when it came to turning a repetitive slogan into an anthemic melody, "The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill" does tend to plod forward into a drone after a while. Your wish that he'd provided a bit more bite and venom into the "Cry Baby Cry" vocal is precisely what I wish he'd done with the over-wispy "Prudence"... could have been a fabulous track if he'd only vocally stepped up a gear before the end.

Paul on the other hand was straight on the money from the get go: "Back In The USSR" is a belter and I find his a much more "in your face" presence than John's throughout most of the album.

When I heard The White Album for the first time in the fall of 1968, it was pretty obvious to me that Happiness Is A Warm Gun had to do with mainlining heroin.  As John had the lead vocal, I figured he wrote the song.  In those pre-internet days, news traveled slowly.  We found out later that John had a problem with the drug.

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 02:00:02 AM »

The White Album is definitely an example of something being better than the sum of its parts.

Reading the songs divided between John & Paul doesn't stir me, and yet mixed up, and spliced with the 4 George songs, and the record is, in my opinion, virtually faultless.

I agree with you, oldbrownshoe.  George's songs weren't included and they were essential for the full The Beatles album experience.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »

I agree with you, oldbrownshoe.  George's songs weren't included and they were essential for the full The Beatles album experience.

I understand what your saying Barry, I really do, but half of George's stuff is throw aways for me. I love 'Long Long Long' and like 'Savory Truffle.  Hate 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'Piggies'.

He only had 4 tunes on the whole album.

nimrod

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »

I understand what your saying Barry, I really do, but half of George's stuff is throw aways for me. I love 'Long Long Long' and like 'Savory Truffle.  Hate 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'Piggies'.

He only had 4 tunes on the whole album.

Haha its amazing how were all different

the only one Id keep out of his 4 is WMGGW, a great song, made better by Claptons mesmerising solo  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.679 seconds with 82 queries.