Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Yesterday & Today Butcher Cover  (Read 27860 times)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
Yesterday & Today Butcher Cover
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:01:30 PM »

Any of you out there own a "Butcher Cover" album of the Beatles' 1966 US release, "Yesterday and Today"????  Either original or the "peeled" version????
The guy at the local used record store has a "peeled" one that is in awesome condition.  I think it's worth a couple grand.  Back in the late 1980's, I went one weekend to Austin, Texas to the huge record show they hold down there twice a year.  I saw an original, "still SEALED" butcher cover and the dealer was wanting 25 THOUSAND dollars for it.  Amazing...............let's hear your thoughts..........

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Yesterday & Today Butcher Cover
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 01:25:16 AM »

25 big ones!  ??)
<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 01:35:33 AM »

There's one available on ebay right now with a starting bid of of $15,000. Let me know how it goes.  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-Yesterday-and-Today_W0QQitemZ140242059523QQihZ004QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:52:10 AM »

You think I'm gonna BID on that???? I'll keep an eye on it on ebay.  I have more better things to do with my money..............I've spent a small fortune on the Beatles Monthlys magazines to have the complete set........

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 01:55:33 AM »

Yes as much as I love The Beatles, I just do not have that kind of money for something like that!  
<br />

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 01:59:14 AM »

As for that person selling that on ebay....If I had it, I would never sell it!  It said that her or his father had bought it from Sears in the 60's. I would keep it!!!
<br />

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 02:06:38 AM »

You got that right, Heather.  I would NEVER,EVER,EVER sell that album if I had it.  Even if I had an aunt back in "the day" who bought a couple of copies of it........NO FRICKIN' WAY I would sell it!!!!

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 02:22:34 AM »

Seriously. No matter how much I needed money either (unless someone's life depended on it).  Money isn't everything.  Something like that you keep and pass on.
<br />

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »

Somehow it is sad that Beatles memorabilia has become the subject of large investments and big businessrather than being the subject of collecting fans.

blackmath

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »

maybe the person selling it isn't a beatles fan?
btw, i'd sell it.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »

I've always been more interested in the music itself rather than memorabilia; it's when a bootleg of new material comes out that I show up. As for Yesterday...and Today, I make do with a Millenium Remasters transfer and a "butcher cover" insert.

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 01:32:57 PM »

Quote from: 1161
As for Yesterday...and Today, I make do with a Millenium Remasters transfer and a "butcher cover" insert.

I agree.  Though that being said, I've always secretly hoped that I'd go to a flea market/garage sale/used record store and get a butcher cover for five dollars!  Never hurts to dream!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »

Quote from: 1204
As for that person selling that on ebay....If I had it, I would never sell it!  It said that her or his father had bought it from Sears in the 60's. I would keep it!!!

I'm not into the collecting thing either. If you had an album worth $15,000 you'd have to keep it locked away, secure, and under the right temperature conditions. So what's the point? As an investment, yes. For any other reason it's a waste of time.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »

You know, on another thought, I don't think I'd want something like that in my collection.  Too valuable and what would you do with it????  You couldn't display it for fear it would get stolen.  I'll just stick to my collection of Beatle Book Monthlys.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »

Quote from: 1330
I've always secretly hoped that I'd go to a flea market/garage sale/used record store and get a butcher cover for five dollars!  Never hurts to dream!

Absolutely; and in fact I found copies of things like Get Back, Sweet Apple Trax, and The Decca Tapes by rooting through the used LP sections of Toronto record stores. Of course I had to rummage past copy after copy of the red and blue albums and Abbey Road  to find them, though. I got a copy of The Decca Tapes for a dollar or so from a shop on Queen Street because the guy who ran it didn't know what it was and thought that his dozen or so used copies of the red and blue albums were all worth more!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »

Okay, here's an ethics question for you guys: If you went to a garage sale and an old granny was selling The Butcher Cover for a pittance, would you buy it knowing that it's worth thousands of dollars and thereby cheat the old lady out of what is rightfully hers or would you tell her what she had in her possession so she could better decide what to do with it? Keep in mind that the old granny could be having this garage sale because she needs the money. Hmm, what to do?

:X

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 02:32:07 PM »

Lucky you Geoff.  There's only two used record stores here in town and the one I always go to..........the dude collects Beatles stuff too.  He's the one I mentioned earlier that has a near mint "peeled" cover of the Butcher cover.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »

Quote from: 216
Okay, here's an ethics question for you guys: If you went to a garage sale and an old granny was selling The Butcher Cover for a pittance, would you buy it knowing that it's worth thousands of dollars and thereby cheat the old lady out of what is rightfully hers or would you tell her what she had in her possession so she could better decide what to do with it? Keep in mind that the old granny could be having this garage sale because she needs the money. Hmm, what to do?

^^^^^^Tuff one Sandra............I got to think on this one.............

BlueMeanie

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »

Give her $100 and she'll be happy!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »

Okay, here's an ethics question for you guys

I wouldn't be thinking about ethics, I'd be thinking about retiring. My conscience just might kick in after I'd been living on my private island for six months or so.

(wave1)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 4.391 seconds with 73 queries.