Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mysterious Recording, Possibly 1st Draft of Sgt Pepper, Emerges...  (Read 1427 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages

LINK:  http://www.metro.co.uk/showbiz/headlines/858411-mysterious-recording-emerges-london

Two weeks ago, a work crew made a potentially "fab"-ulous discovery whilst renovating a dental office in West London.

"The workers had piled up some rubbish and among the pile was an old crate," said owner Dr. Jack Reilly. "They'd found it when they removed the wall, which had been part of the closet."

The contents of the crate appeared to be nothing special at first. An old church bulletin from December 1966, a ceramic souvenir beer stein and a reel of audio tape. But after looking closer at the reel, Reilly noticed something odd.

"There was a bit of old cello tape on the spool and I could see something written on it. The ink had faded, but I could clearly make out the words 'P. McCartney.' Well, I'm quite a Beatles admirer and thought I'd found an old recording of one of his albums."

Reilly located an antique tape machine with the help of a friend and queued the tape for a listen. They were both shocked and confused at what they heard.

"It starts out with a young man just unloading a string of profanities," said Reilly "That lasted about a half minute and then it launches into a very peculiar song that sounds much like the 'Sgt. Pepper' melody except the lyrics are different."

Dr. Reilly allowed Metro to have an exclusive listen. And the recording is shocking indeed.

The recording opens with a young man, who sounds like McCartney, making angry, vulgar references to a mostly unnamed group of people. He does call out someone named "Richie", to whom he refers to in a particularly derogatory manner. If the man on the tape is McCartney, "Richie" could very well be Beatles drummer Ringo Starr, whose birth name is Richard Starkey.

After 40 seconds, the tirade ends and a strummed guitar is heard. The rhythm and melody is nearly identical to the Beatles hit "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", but when the same young man who delivered tirade begins to sing the lyrics are mightily different.

I'm the only one who gives a damn
In this (expletive) band
You say that you can play
Don't think you can
In this (expletive) band

These lyrics repeat for about four verses before the recording ends abruptly. The rest of the tape is blank. Calls placed to representatives of McCartney have not yet been returned.

Dr. Reilly maintains a dental practice and has used the property as an office and flat for several years. It is unknown how the tape came to rest behind a wall there. What connection McCartney may have to the space is also unknown, though he did reside with actress and one-time love Jane Asher close by, on Wimpole Street, in the mid-sixties.

For now, Dr. Reilly has stored the tape safely in a secret location whilst examining way forward.

"I want to get as many evaluations as possible, but I'm going to be careful in choosing who gets to examine the tape. Certainly, I'd love to get Sir Paul McCartney himself to weigh in. But I also want people not connected to the group to help. I understand there are many out there who have studied the details of their performance traits and singing styles and even dress like them and play their songs for audiences in pubs and that sort of thing. I think they'd be helpful as well."

Xosé
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Mysterious Recording, Possibly 1st Draft of Sgt Pepper, Emerges...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »

Wow, if this is true, it would Paul look like a total a**hole!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Bobber

Re: Mysterious Recording, Possibly 1st Draft of Sgt Pepper, Emerges...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »

What's today's date?

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 40 queries.