Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: George & Hare Krishna  (Read 5686 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
George & Hare Krishna
« on: July 25, 2004, 11:51:33 AM »

I've read quite a lot about the Hare Krishna religion and even spoke to some devotees, and I learned that there are several things that Hare Krishna followers are not allowed to do:
- smoking
- drinking alcohol
- doing drugs
- having promiscuous (sp?) sex
- eat meat
- eat/drink dairy products (except milk under some circumstances)
- eat garlic and onions (don't ask me why)
- attach value to material things

And if I'm not mistaken, George did most or all of these things, and kept doing them even after he became a Krishna follower.

Does anyone know if he actually did live by the Krishna rules for a while, or was he just one of those people that picked a religion and only used the elements of it that he liked?

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
Re: George & Hare Krishna
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 01:59:12 PM »

good question but I'm afraid I don't know the answer :P

It's hard to tell because he got into the krishna thing after the Beatles breakup and I personally don't know too much about his life during the solo years, but like you said, I think George wasn't taking that religion too seriously to the point of doing all those things you posted.

---powered by Moondogs®---

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 08:20:49 PM »

George never joined the sect. However, he saw much of value in its teachings (as we all know!). He was also generous financially towards them.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 08:35:33 PM »

It's not a sect... It's an age old religion, just because it's a minority in the western civilization doesn't mean it's a sect.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 08:38:45 PM »

But still I find that strange... The absolute first rule of Hare Krishna contiousness is to stop eating meat... That's what they're literally saying: the very first thing you must do if you want to built up a healthy relationship with God is stoping eating His creatures (and no, I don't want to start another discussion about vegetarism because we're obviously never going to agree)... Correctly me if I'm wrong, but George wasn't a vegetarian, right? So I think it's odd that he donated so much money to a religion while he wasn't even willing to commit to it's most important rule.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 04:59:19 AM »

Theres something about his standing on vegitarianism in that anthology book. I can't remember the direct quote but it was something about meat giving him head aches and him objecting to the killing of animals.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 05:15:11 AM »

[quote by=Biscuit_Power link=Blah.pl?b=harrison,m=1090756293,s=3 date=1090787733]It's not a sect... It's an age old religion, just because it's a minority in the western civilization doesn't mean it's a sect.[/quote]

Haven't you just explained why it IS a sect in western civ?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 02:39:23 PM »

I don't know what the exact definition of the word sect is, so I must admit I'm not sure.

ringorama

• A Beginning
  • Control yourself, you'll spurt
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 05:15:17 PM »

I looked up the deffinition of sect and it is: a : a dissenting or schismatic religious body; especially : one regarded as extreme or heretical b : a religious denomination

I dono if George didn't eat meat or not, but I know a lot of the things he did that were against thoes rules...

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 09:04:13 PM »

[quote by=Biscuit_Power link=Blah.pl?b=harrison,m=1090756293,s=7 date=1090852763]I don't know what the exact definition of the word sect is, so I must admit I'm not sure.[/quote]

lets not nitpick now.  Anyway, I thought it was not true that George left a lot of money to the society?

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 12:18:12 AM »

I'm a Christian and I admit that I dont follow 10 commandments to a tee. George was only human and I dont feel any of it is a big deal if he didnt follow a certain religion like a robot.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 01:45:38 AM »

Exactly.  Priests and other adherents cannot walk the straight and narrow perfectly, how can a simple believer?   Hell, clergy supposedly dedicate their whole life to their religion.

Like tk sez, you will never find anyone, not even Mother Teresa, who follows all 10 commandments.  It's impossible.  Perhaps it is the *willingness* to try that makes a pious person.

Either way, as to the original question, I think George was far too accustomed to having things his way for such a long time that he found some justification somewhere for the things he chose to ignore.  Pretty much the way we all do.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 08:57:32 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=harrison,m=1090756293,s=10 date=1090887492]I'm a Christian and I admit that I dont follow 10 commandments to a tee. George was only human and I dont feel any of it is a big deal if he didnt follow a certain religion like a robot.[/quote]

That's true, but eating meat is a pretty serious sin for Hare Krishna followers since all living creatures are considered equal by that religion. And you can not seriously consider yourself a christian if you systematically ignore one or more of the 10 commandments on a daily base, right?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 01:36:01 AM »

[quote by=Biscuit_Power link=Blah.pl?b=harrison,m=1090756293,s=12 date=1091653052]

And you can not seriously consider yourself a christian if you systematically ignore one or more of the 10 commandments on a daily base, right?
[/quote]

I see your point and agree with you for the most part, but (and I promise you that this will be my last comment due to my promise of not engaging in religious and political threads) it has been said that some people who have sinned heavily throughout their lives have been allowed to enter heaven by accepting Jesus even on their deathbeds. I feel that i'm a christian even though I stray sometimes. Ok, i'm done as i've already gone too far.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 10:18:09 AM »

christianity will be the down fall of man........

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 01:00:56 PM »

it will fade, it will vanish.  I just wonder what will go first...

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 05:16:55 PM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=harrison,m=1090756293,s=14 date=1091701089]christianity will be the down fall of man........[/quote]

Make that religion in general, then I think you could be right.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »

its to rooted in history to vanish.i do think as freeism maxes out that less will choose it but it has been copied and called something else.so die out unlikely.watered down.ya-ya
i wish everybody could get into usism.not as in the u.s. but us as a whole planet of living breating carbon units.
the whole religion thing reminds me kinda like big brother is watching you like the had in dmitrys country and early america.god knows......it kinda resembles brow beating on a major scale.i am not knocking it because i believe everyone is entitled to their beliefs and shouldn't have to fear ridicule for their choice.
faith is something that is probally largely responsible for our survival.it moves mountains and more.it is key in self-motivation.
religion teaches faith.so it can't be all bad.its just not my cup of tea..........

ringorama

• A Beginning
  • Control yourself, you'll spurt
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2004, 12:17:40 AM »

I agree with Biscuit Power religion in general with be the downfall of mankind

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2004, 05:21:28 PM »

Don't talk nonsense.

Who's heard the Milk and Honey remaster cd with the interview. Well I belive in what John says on that. Everything he says on that.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 80 queries.