Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists  (Read 10127 times)

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
Re: Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2005, 08:44:24 PM »

this proves that rolling stone doesn't know sh*t about rock and roll music.

i do respect cobain and wrote some great songs, but he was no guitarist. and what is up with eddie van halen and frank zappa being so high. i am no guitarist (i play bass), but i ain't no idiot; those guys were gods.

Anyways, my vote for #1 is jeff beck.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Wayne L.

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 09:10:59 PM »

These worthless polls don't mean anything anyway whether they're from Rolling Stone or the NYT but the late, great Jimi Hendrix is the greatest rock guitarist that has ever lived but Eddie Van Halen deserves to be in the top 10.  

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2005, 09:27:29 PM »

oh yeh where's yngwie malmsteen, and steve vai?

and satch!!!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2005, 09:46:27 PM »

I never fully got Eddie Van Halen.  I guess he was the forerunner of all the speed players of the 80s, but I never really got the groove for that.  For american whiteguy band guitar rock, I think Steve Perry writes better parts than Van Halen.  But I don't like Aerosmith or Van Halen.  Might as well go to the source and listen to the Stones if you want two guitar rock--

But to my mind the most influential "rock" guitarists would have to be: 1) Jimi Hendrix; 2) Clapton; 3) Jimmy Page; 4) maybe then Duane Allman (but only in combo with Dickie Betts); 5) Keith Richards (sharing his spot with Chuck Berry).  To me, Chuck Berry has to be the beginning of rock guitar (maybe with a nod to bluesmen like Robert Johnson and B.B. King and Hubert Sumlin, etc.).    Because Chuck pushed guitar to the front as a lead rock instrument rather than horns.  Chuck is far more important to the development of rock than B.B. King, for crissakes, and just about everyone else.  For that matter, Charlie Christian or Lonnie Johnson is more important than B.B. King.  

I know the list is "greatest" but that term should include both influence as well as technical prowess.  Hendrix has influenced a lot of players, but Chuck Berry almost singlehandedly (with Buddy Holly and the early Elvis) created a genre.  

I hate these lists, but at least they get you thinking.  

P.S. Neil Young probably deserves to be in the top ten for sheer idiosyncratic power and emotion of his electric and acoustic playing.  "Cortez the Killer" is one of the few post-Hendrix songs to be in Hendrix's ballpark.  

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2005, 09:47:07 PM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.
These worthless polls don't mean anything anyway whether they're from Rolling Stone or the NYT but the late, great Jimi Hendrix is the greatest rock guitarist that has ever lived but Eddie Van Halen deserves to be in the top 10.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2005, 09:50:57 PM »

I guess "Jump" killed me on Van Halen.  Too bad they didn't do the synth parts as power chords.  I just haven't listened enough to Van Halen--except what I hear on the radio--to qualify.

But I do like how he and his hardass brothers kicked out David lee Roth and then Sammy Hagar (of Three Lock Box and that horrible Drive 55 song)  out of their band.  

I get the suspicion that you don't mess with the Van Halen brothers.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2005, 09:54:30 PM »

I don't get the Eddie Van Halen thing either. He's fast I guess. I don't think he does anything so original though. But again, I'm not a guitarist so what do I know. He's just kinda boring to me.
I still think David Gilmour should be way higher. I don't get why he deserves to be put at 82.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2005, 11:59:02 PM »

I'm telling you.  Don't mess with them Van Halens!  They'll get you in their band and then kick you out!

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2005, 12:04:04 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
I don't get the Eddie Van Halen thing either. He's fast I guess. I don't think he does anything so original though. But again, I'm not a guitarist so what do I know. He's just kinda boring to me.
I still think David Gilmour should be way higher. I don't get why he deserves to be put at 82.

gilmour is one of a kind...thats for sure...but eddie is too...he has his own style of playing...but for some reason i can see van halen playing stuff like gilmour, but i'd never see gilmour playing guitar like EVH... anyways... ranking gilmour so high is a joke, Pink Floyd is one of the greatest band of all times...he should be in the top 10 too...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2005, 01:20:13 AM »

You doubt Dave could handle anything Eddie could do? Have you seen him live during one of his solos or extended jams? There's Pompeii or Pulse for starters. I think Dave is more creative/versitile. But then I only like about three Van Halen songs so I'm not exactly unbiased.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2005, 01:24:22 AM »

ya i dont agree with that list
david glimour should have been higher
and i dont agree with hendrix as first

Paul McCartney :)

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2005, 01:30:56 AM »

Quote from: number14
ya i dont agree with that list
david glimour should have been higher
and i dont agree with hendrix as first

why not hendrix at first?...its true...some say he's overrated...but he is that damn good...he was a natural talent...he hit fame at the perfect time, thats why he's always ranked so high...and playing a guitar the other way around was amazing at that time...anyways

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2005, 01:37:22 AM »

i have lots of jimi hendrix and hes not that amazing
voodoo child was awesome guitar but nothing else stood out
not like david glimour or jimmy page

Paul McCartney :)

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2005, 02:41:25 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
You doubt Dave could handle anything Eddie could do? Have you seen him live during one of his solos or extended jams? There's Pompeii or Pulse for starters. I think Dave is more creative/versitile. But then I only like about three Van Halen songs so I'm not exactly unbiased.

i have every pink floyd album, and some of their dvd's, and yeah he's awesome in live in pompeii...but i dunno i just can't imagine gilmour playing something like eruption the way ed plays it... but like i said dave is one of a kind...they each have their techniques and i respect and love their music...Gilmour and EVH rock!

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2005, 12:23:52 PM »

Quote from: number14
i have lots of jimi hendrix and hes not that amazing
voodoo child was awesome guitar but nothing else stood out
not like david glimour or jimmy page
o_O

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2005, 11:33:59 PM »

Jimi Hendrix not that amazing . . . now that's just crazy talk.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2005, 01:24:40 AM »

The David Gilmour versus Eddie Van Halen thing is impossible. They are two totaly different styles. In my opinion, in a solo, Gilmour could say more with 5 notes than Eddie could with his 25.

Speaking of this list, where in the hell is Steve Lukather?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2005, 01:39:44 AM »

Quote from: tkitna
The David Gilmour versus Eddie Van Halen thing is impossible. They are two totaly different styles. In my opinion, in a solo, Gilmour could say more with 5 notes than Eddie could with his 25.

I love that. It's sums it up so well. Why didn't I think of it!
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 76 queries.