Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John and religion- quotes please!  (Read 1176 times)

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
John and religion- quotes please!
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:09:07 PM »

I was wondering if people could help me- I'm trying to get together quotes of John's views on religion and anything to do with religion

- anything like God, Jesus, Bible, Mantras etc.
- From song lyrics or interviews.
- either for or against religion
- it can be quotes from other people which talk about John and religion

I've thought of a few more obvious ones like:

'God is a concept by which we measure our pain'
'I don't believe in Jesus'
'I don't believe in Mantra'
'I don't believe in Gita'

and 'imagine there no heaven...imagine no religion'

anyway anything would be really appreciated  :)

<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Bobber

Re: John and religion- quotes please!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »

A well-known one:

On March 4th, 1966, John Lennon had an in-depth interview with a worker from London Evening Standard and an excerpt from the interview, with attention from the media, caused an uproar for Christians around the world. The excerpt stated: "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock'n'roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his diciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me." -John Lennon, 1966. Catholics and Christians around the world were enraged with this statement. By burning Beatle items; books, albums, pictures and concert tickets, they protested Lennon's controversial statement. The press enflated the statement to make Lennon out to be what he was eventually called; an "anti-christ". Lennon eventually apologized for his remarks but he continued to rationalize his statement in order to make his point clear. What he meant by the statement was the the Beatles had gotton more popular than Christianity, that the youth was more interested in their music than the church. While he was making a comparision, he later said "I should have said 'television was more popular than Jesus', then I might have got away with it"

And from The Ballad Of John And Yoko:
"Christ! You know it ain't easy."

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »

Christians, rather than getting angry like that and burning Beatles paraphenalia, should just have realised that people can speak like that in the 'free world' (how free is it?), and responded as Christians by just praying for him and expressing Christian love for him (what Christianity is really about in fact). I say that as a Christian.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »

"Before you go to sleep, say a little prayer..." (its the first thing that came to my head)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 04:53:09 AM »

I wrote out a quote, when i went ot the library yesterday, but unfortunately i have lost the piece of paper. The quote came from a 19XX Rolling Stones Interview and went something like ".... And I think the more pain we are in the more gods we need." It was something about pain.

I saw this quote in a book called "Magical Circles". Looks quite intresting, the book does.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 47 queries.