Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Neil Aspinall Is Ill - R.I.P.  (Read 18064 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Neil Aspinall Is Ill - R.I.P.
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:34:55 AM »

From The Daily Mail:

Mr Aspinall, 65, is believed to be suffering from lung cancer and has flown to New York from his London home for treatment at Manhattan's prestigious Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre.

A family friend said that Sir Paul had been to visit. "I understand that Paul saw him in hospital in New York," the friend said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=542362&in_page_id=1773

Via Abbeyrd:  http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/323neilaspinall.html
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

The Swine

• Getting Better
Re: Neil Aspinall Is Ill - R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »

he is dead
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »

Yeah, you dont just go in and beat that.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:59:11 AM »

Lung cancer has a 3% chance of recovery. The fact that he's gone to this place in the States means that it's a last resort, as London has one of the best cancer hospitals on the planet (Royal Marsden).

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »

Sky News reports:

Neil Aspinall, a close friend of the Beatles and the man who ran the Apple music empire, has died, his family has revealed.
The 66-year-old worked as a roadie and accountant for the band before becoming chief executive of Apple Corps.

He was known by some in the industry as the real "Fifth Beatle".

In a statement released on behalf of Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, the company described him as a "great man" who would be missed.

In the statement, also on behalf of Beatle widows Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, Apple Corps said: "As a loyal friend, confidant and chief executive, Neil's trusting stewardship and guidance has left a far-reaching legacy for generations to come.

"All his friends and loved ones will greatly miss him but will always retain the fondest memories of a great man."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1310441,00.html

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »

i've just heard this, its so terrible! i never knew he was that ill. yet another one in the
Beatles camp is lost to us!  :'(

RIP Neil Aspinall

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »

RIP Neil, you upheld the image and legacy of the band we care so much for with the upmost class, responsibility and dedictation when so many others would be keen to capitalize on the image..  This is a sad day and you will be remembered.
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 07:45:10 PM »

A big loss. Rest in peace Neil.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 08:31:38 PM »

RIP Neil. Big loss. Everybody's dying!!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »

R.I.P. Neil .

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 09:41:19 PM »

Rest in peace.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 10:42:47 PM »

This is depressing. So sad. He wasn't even that old. ALL of those guys should still be alive and have at least 20 to 30 good years left on this earth.

RIP Neil. (cry)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 10:54:14 PM »

Taking on the role on the condition he would do it "only until they found someone else", he only quit the position last year.

In a statement, Ringo said the band were "blessed" to have Mr Aspinall in their lives. "I've known Neil many years and he was a good friend. We were blessed to have him in our lives and he will be missed," he said.

Olivia and Dhani Harrison said Mr Aspinall was their "constant and avuncular caretaker". In a statement they said: "Neil takes with him the love and history of his extended family. "He was our constant and avuncular caretaker for so many years; there is no way to measure how much he will be missed. "Our thoughts are with his wife Suzy, their sons, daughters and grandchildren. God bless you Neil."
Ringo and the Harrisons have class. :)

I wonder if Neil knew he was ill when he quit Apple? Remember all that mysterious ousting of Neil? Perhaps he'd found out he was ill, and didn't want to release that information?

In any case, Neil, thanks for all you did. Rest in peace.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:25:34 PM »

Quote from: 597
RIP Neil, you upheld the image and legacy of the band we care so much for with the upmost class, responsibility and dedictation when so many others would be keen to capitalize on the image..  This is a sad day and you will be remembered.

RIP
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Lissy

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 10:40:54 AM »

RIP Neil.
<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »

I wonderd this morning if he was already ill when he quit Apple harihead. Sixty Six is no age he should have been looking forward to at least a 20 year retirement .
The big C seems to be casting a shadow over The Beatles story ?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 02:06:41 PM »

In the US, cancer is the leading cause of death for that age group; it runs neck & neck with heart disease for the top 2 places. So it's really not so unusual for Neil and George to succumb to it; they have a lot  of company. In George's case, he had a family history of cancer. I don't know about Neil.

The article said Neil had been ill for 2 months. If he really didn't know until 2 months ago, the illness couldn't have affected his decision to leave Apple. But I wonder if he'd been feeling tired beforehand. I'm glad he got some time to himself (or so it seems) after dedicating so much of his life to the Beatles' concerns.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 05:37:12 PM »

From The Beatles author Hunter Davies in The Guardian:

He was with them through all their years of fame. He would get shouted at, told to fetch impossible things, fix ludicrous arrangements. In 1968, Paul decided on the spur of the moment to come and visit me in Portugal with his new girlfriend Linda, and her daughter Heather. Neil was told to get them on a plane to Faro. The last flight had gone. So, late at night, Neil secured a private jet and off they went.

But Neil was more than a roadie and fixer - he was their friend and confidant, helped with words of songs when they got stuck, with personal relationships when they wanted them unstuck.

His accountancy training proved invaluable when he came to run Apple. As the years went on, he masterminded much of the group's professional affairs and back catalogues. On the whole, Neil won most of the battles, helping them make further millions. He did also have a creative streak, acting as the producer of the film Let it Be and organising the Beatles Anthology.

Neil was totally loyal and faithful to them - and yet not at all starstruck. He was more than aware of their foibles, greed, stupidities, unreasonableness, would readily slag them off. It was clear he was part of the family, so while moaning, as all family members do, he would never betray their secrets.

When I pressed him for inside stories, he used to say he couldn't remember. Mick Jagger always says the same. In Neil's case, it could be because he wasn't really much interested in the personal stuff. His mind didn't quite work that way. He had a dry, austere, rather resigned, cynical view of most people, more interested in facts and figures than tittle tattle. He was there, but was somehow floating above it all. The Beatles were very fortunate to have him.

The rest here: http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2267904,00.html

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »

That's so so sad.  RIP.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »

Great article, Geoff. I really enjoy Hunter Davies' perspective. Thanks for posting that link!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 94 queries.