Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Here, There and Everywhere  (Read 6876 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - Here, There and Everywhere
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »

To lead a better life
I need my love to be here

Here, making each day of the year
Changing my life with a wave of her hand
Nobody can deny that there's something there
There, running my hands through her hair
Both of us thinking how good it can be
Someone is speaking, but she doesn't know he's there

I want her everywhere
And if she's beside me I know I need never care
But to love her is to need her everywhere
Knowing that love is to share
Each one believing that love never dies
Watching her eyes and hoping I'm always there

I will be there
And everywhere
Here, there and everywhere

Absolute masterful songwriting, beautiful melody, moving, hypnotic even.

McCartney wrote the song at Lennon's house in Weybridge while waiting for Lennon to wake up. "I sat out by the pool on one of the sun chairs with my guitar and started strumming in E," McCartney recalled. "And soon  had a few chords, and I think by the time he'd woken up, I had pretty much written the song, so we took it indoors and finished it up."

In his biography Many Years From Now, McCartney said the song is one of his favourites. George Martin has also mentioned it as one of his favourite McCartney songs. John Lennon reportedly told McCartney it was "The best tune on the album" and said in his 1980 Playboy interview it was "one of my favourite songs of the Beatles."

It was ranked the 4th greatest song of all time by Mojo in 2000

The song is noted for its bitter-sweet melody, layered backing vocals and utilising a 'clever harmonic scheme' underpinning the chordal structure. "Here There and Everywhere" was recorded from June 14 to 17, a few weeks after a Pet Sounds listening party McCartney was affected by.
McCartney mentioned in the 1989 radio series McCartney on McCartney that the much-praised vocals were meant to have a "Beach Boys" sound. He has also said he was trying to sing it in the style of Marianne Faithfull.

Personnel

Paul McCartney – double-tracked vocal, acoustic guitar, bass, finger-snaps
John Lennon – backing vocal, finger-snaps
George Harrison – backing vocal, lead guitar, finger-snaps
Ringo Starr – drums, finger-snaps
George Martin – producer
Geoff Emerick – engineer

Personnel per Ian MacDonald
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:19:36 PM by nimrod »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Song Of The Week - Here, There and Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »

Sure, a very nice song.

I especially love that lead guitar passage after "...and if she's beside me I know I need never care..." - gives it that special ambiance.

I always go "Huh?" when the Beach Boys and 'Pet Sounds' in particular are mentioned as major influences. I don't really hear it, except of course in 'Back in the U.S.S.R.' where it's an obvious send-up of the group's classic sound. But, if Paul says there's influence then there's influence. I just always thought The Beatles did fine harmonies and arrangements long before 'Pet Sounds.'

Silly me.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »

Sure, a very nice song.

I especially love that lead guitar passage after "...and if she's beside me I know I need never care..." - gives it that special ambiance.

I always go "Huh?" when the Beach Boys and 'Pet Sounds' in particular are mentioned as major influences. I don't really hear it, except of course in 'Back in the U.S.S.R.' where it's an obvious send-up of the group's classic sound. But, if Paul says there's influence then there's influence. I just always thought The Beatles did fine harmonies and arrangements long before 'Pet Sounds.'

Silly me.

:)

your not wrong there klangy mate, Hard Days Night album is full of great harmonies isnt it, Yes It Is, This Boy, spring to mind......I guess Paul just loved Pet Sounds and it inspired him to reach for a 'sound', were the above songs with heavy harmonies mainly Johns ? This Boy & If I Fell were Im sure.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:52:08 PM »

Never liked this song. I think its because I only hear it when I played Revolver and this was a momentum killer. A lot of people have told me that its great and I should sit back and really drink it in. I've tried and its just not my cup of tea. Pass.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:35:03 AM »

I love the song!
I find it very soothing and a great love song in its own right.
I have a happy DM memory relating to this song: One time mr. Kite , fendertele and myself were chatting and while I dont remember what caused mr kite to say the following, he said "There, running my hand through his scottish hair" :D
And for some reason,  there was a Paul fan here, whose name alludes me now (his signature was "there are nine levels") but his avatar always reminded me of this song

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:41 AM »

What a beautiful love song this is!  Paul knows how to write them!!!

He had a very special muse for this one...

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:40 AM »

Here There And Everywhere - The Beatles Bass Cover

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »

Never liked this song. I think its because I only hear it when I played Revolver and this was a momentum killer. A lot of people have told me that its great and I should sit back and really drink it in. I've tried and its just not my cup of tea. Pass.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »

What a beautiful love song this is!  Paul knows how to write them!!!

He had a very special muse for this one...

Maybe it's my depressive personality, but that's one thing that nags at me about this song (that and "And I Love Her," which IIRC he also wrote for Jane): He writes these beautiful songs for a woman he loves -- and then he cheats on her.  :-\

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »

Nimrod, love your signature video clip! I love those Panda Cheese ads!   ha2ha

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »

Maybe it's my depressive personality, but that's one thing that nags at me about this song (that and "And I Love Her," which IIRC he also wrote for Jane): He writes these beautiful songs for a woman he loves -- and then he cheats on her.  :-\
That's men for you.... Sadly "...love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight..."

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

nimrod

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 11:11:43 PM »

Nimrod, love your signature video clip! I love those Panda Cheese ads!   ha2ha

;D

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »

thats an interesting point, but I donr believe he wrote these love songs specifically for Jane asher, theyre just love songs, he cant really say afterwards 'I dont know who it was about' can he ;)

I mean if were going to assume (and believe) that these songs were about her specifically then  who was Michelle about ?

I just think theyre love songs about a fictitious person, Paul HAD to say they were about his current girlfriend.

KelMar

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 03:11:54 AM »

This is the song that made me get "Revolver", the one Beatles album I never got a chance to hear growing up. Then I heard "For No One" and almost wore out the repeat button on my CD player. But that a discuss for another thread

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »

Great song, like many of Paul's super ballads, but ultimately not a song I want to hear all that often.  No wear and tear on the repeat button for this song.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »

thats an interesting point, but I donr believe he wrote these love songs specifically for Jane asher, theyre just love songs, he cant really say afterwards 'I dont know who it was about' can he ;)

I mean if were going to assume (and believe) that these songs were about her specifically then  who was Michelle about ?

I just think theyre love songs about a fictitious person, Paul HAD to say they were about his current girlfriend.

That's a good point, too. And it IS a truly beautiful song.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »

I think this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Right there with Something. I get a kick out of the very last second of the song where it sounds like Ringo was humming/singing along and his voice bled over onto the finished record!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 03:23:40 AM »

I think this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Right there with Something. I get a kick out of the very last second of the song where it sounds like Ringo was humming/singing along and his voice bled over onto the finished record!

I think any songwriter would have loved to have written this song, John Lennon loved it

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 03:31:13 AM »

From The Alternate Revolver CD (Pear), an early take...

Here, There and Everywhere

Lovely!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 85 queries.