Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Quiz: Solo Beatles -- Billboard Chart Lists  (Read 6075 times)

LarryG

New Quiz: Solo Beatles -- Billboard Chart Lists
« on: October 09, 2004, 07:49:58 PM »

There's a little trickery in the following quiz questions, but these shouldn't be too too difficult.  It's all about the solo years -- 1970 through 2004 -- on the Billboard charts.  Good luck.

1.  Two-part question:  Following the split of the Beatles, which of John Lennon's solo recordings was the first to reach the #1 slot on the Billboard Top 100 Singles charts?  His second #1 single lasted on that same list for five weeks.  Name that tune too.

2.  How high in the Billboard Top 100 did Ringo's tribute to George, "Never Without You" chart?

3.  Which solo Beatle was the first to have a #1 hit?  Name the tune, as well as its inspiration?  (Hint: it stayed at #1 for four weeks.)

4.  Two-part question:  In 1971, which Beatle solo effort topped the Billboard Album charts for one week?  Same Beatle achieved similar success in 1974 as well.  Name the solo album for that year too.

5.  In 2000, which album topped Billboard's Top 200 Albums for eight consecutive weeks?

6.  What was Ringo Starr's last top 40 hit, and when?

7.  When released in 1973, "Live and Let Die" peaked as high as #2 for three consecutive weeks.  It failed to hit the number one spot in any of those weeks.  Guess any one of the three songs and/or artists that blocked it.

8.  "Helen Wheels" was not supposed to appear on "Band on the Run," much less be a single.  But it did.  How high did it chart?  Bonus points if you know what the song is named for

9.  As long as we're on McCartney titles, "Martha My Dear" is not the only Paul song to be named for a dog of his.  Another song during his early solo years was as well, and charted as high as #7 on Billboard.  Name the song and year.

10.  How high did the song "Imagine" peak on the Billboard single charts?

11.  In five years following the breakup of the Beatles, seven Ringo tunes landed in the Top 10.  Name them, and indicate which of any reached #1.  (The remarkable thing about this feat is that Ringo released 10 singles during this time -- so he was batting 7 for 10.)

12.  Name Paul's first #1 hit single on the Billboard charts.

13.  1974 was a prolific year for Beatle solos reaching #1.  Three did.  Name them, and the Beatle who recorded each.  (For those interested, that same year brought us these Billboard #1s:  The Streak by Ray Stevens, Grand Funk's LocoMotion, Harry Chapin's Cats in the Cradle, Steve Miller's The Joker, BTO's You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet, I shot the Sheriff by Clapton, and Billy Preston's Nothing from Nothing.)

14.  In 1981, this nostalgic-oriented song hit #1 for a brief time.  Name it and the Beatle.

15.  Name George's last #1 hit, and when it was released.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

LarryG

Re: New Quiz: Solo Beatles -- Billboard Chart Lists
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 08:28:57 PM »

By the way, I just published this on PC's Moondogs site as well.

For the record, this forum scored considerably better than the Moondog's forum on the last round of quizzing......

They may be out for revenge, so good luck.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 11:57:31 PM »

Ok, here goes nothing-

1. Whatever Gets You Through The Night (with Elton Johns help), and the second part I dont know but i'll guess 'Just Like Starting Over'

2. ?

3. My Sweet Lord. Inspiration - I dont know, but its probably something to do with the hari krishnas

4. Ram and Band On The Run?

5. ?

6. Wrack My Brain,,,,,,,1981?

7. ?

8. Dont know about the charts, but the song was about Pauls Land Rover

9. Jet

10. ?

11. Guessing - Your Sixteen, It Dont Come Easy, Photograph, No No Song, Goodnight Vienna, Beaucoupes of Blues, I'm The Greatest

12. Another Day

13. Photograph - Ringo, Band On The Run - Paul, ?

14. When We Was Fab

15. Got My Mind Set On You,,,,,,1988?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 01:56:45 AM »

Just a suggestion - but is there any chance of some non Billboard-related questions being posted!? I haven't a clue about the American charts!!! ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 03:23:27 AM »

yeah larry is american biased.....what about it g?

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 03:55:29 AM »

My answeres
#1 whatever gets you through the night and starting over
#2???
#3Harrison, mysweet lord, and his guru (dont know the name)
#4 Is this a trick question? Lennon- Imagine # 3 us and #2 uk and Walls and bridges #1 us   McCartney- Ram #2 uk and # 3 us  and Bad on the run # 1 us and #1 uk   Harrison- All things must pass # 1 us and # 1 uk  Starr- none
#5 One
#6 Wrack my brain #39 Nov. 81
#7???
#8  #10
#9  Jet- 1974
#10  #3
#11  It dont come easy #4, Back off boogaloo #9, Photograph #1, Your 16 #1,
   Oh my my #5, Only you #6 and No No song #3
#12  Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey
#13  Whatever gets you through the night, Band on the run, and the closest
         thing to a third #1 in 1974 was  Your 16  Dec. 1973
#14  Harrison- All those years ago
#15  Got my mind set on you Oct. 1987

RICKENBACKER325

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 04:00:29 AM »

That one was tough, Thanks Larry now I'll be up all night trying to remember what songs kept Live and let die out of #1...lol :D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 04:58:50 AM »

14. When we was Fab and I Got My Mind Set On You equals the same album in 87 or 88 so I dont know what I was thinking with my answer. I agree with Rics answer. DOH!

LarryG

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 01:15:56 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1097351398,s=3 date=1097373405]Just a suggestion - but is there any chance of some non Billboard-related questions being posted!? I haven't a clue about the American charts!!! ;D [/quote]

Sorry TheEnd, but PC is right....I'm a little biased -- not necessarily American bias, but I didn't know as much about the British charts.  I'll try to fashion a better British angle on the next quiz.  I already have something in mind.

LarryG

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 01:30:33 PM »

Let's see how TKitna did.....and then we'll grade Rickenbacker in the next post.  Okay, see below in ALL CAPs for TK's score:

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1097351398,s=2 date=1097366251]Ok, here goes nothing-

1. Whatever Gets You Through The Night (with Elton Johns help), and the second part I dont know but i'll guess 'Just Like Starting Over' ----- CORRECT!!!

2. ?  THIS QUESTION IS STILL UP FOR GRABS.

3. My Sweet Lord. Inspiration - I dont know, but its probably something to do with the hari krishnas ---- CORRECT ON THE SONG TITLE, BUT THE INSPIRATION ACTUALLY TOOK GEORGE TO COURT.  REMEMBER "HE'S SO FINE" BY THE CHIFFONS.  SORRY; THAT WAS A TRICK QUESTION.

4. Ram and Band On The Run?  NO; THAT IS INCORRECT.

5. ?  SORRY, THIS IS A TRICK QUESTION.

6. Wrack My Brain,,,,,,,1981? ---------  CORRECT.  POOR RINGO TOO;  IF ONLY THE MANAGEMENT OF HIS MORE RECENT RECORD COMPANIES KNEW HOW TO PROMOTE HIM. 

7. ?  THIS QUESTION IS STILL UP FOR GRABS.

8. Dont know about the charts, but the song was about Pauls Land Rover  ---  YOU ARE CORRECT.  INCIDENTALLY, "HELEN WHEELS" REACHED AS HIGH AST #10.

9. Jet ---- YOU ARE CORRECT AGAIN.  THE YEAR OF COURSE THAT IT CHARTED WAS 1974 (FOLLOWING ITS 1973 RELEASE).

10. ?  SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IF RICKENBACKER GOT IT....

11. Guessing - Your Sixteen, It Dont Come Easy, Photograph, No No Song, Goodnight Vienna, Beaucoupes of Blues, I'm The Greatest  OOOOOOH.  CAN'T GIVE YOU CREDIT ON THIS ONE.  SOME TITLES YOU INDICATE ARE A YES, BUT SOME ARE ALSO A NO.  FOUR OF THE TUNES YOU SUGGEST ARE RIGHT; THREE ARE NOT.  SO WE'LL LABEL THIS INCORRECT FOR NOW.

12. Another Day  --- INCORRECT.

13. Photograph - Ringo, Band On The Run - Paul, ?  HAVE TO GIVE YOU AN INCORRECT ON THIS ONE.  YOU'VE GOT ONE TUNE, BUT NEED TWO OTHERS.  SORRY TK.

14. When We Was Fab  ----   INCORRECT, BUT NICE GUESS.

15. Got My Mind Set On You,,,,,,1988?  ----- CORRECT.

[/quote]

Not too bad TK..........You scored 5-1/2 (with the 1/2 credit going to My Sweet Lord, but missing on the Chiffons).  Thanks for playing; this was a hard quiz......It requires either a great memory or an incredible internet search engine.  Anyway, onto Rickenbacker now for those results.

LarryG

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 02:00:02 PM »

Let's see if Rickenbacker can beat TK's score of 5-1/2.  See ALL CAPS below for answers and grades:

[quote by=RICKENBACKER325 link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1097351398,s=5 date=1097380529]My answeres

#1 whatever gets you through the night and starting over --- CORRECT

#2???  THIS QUESTION REMAINS UP FOR GRABS; IT'S A BIT OF TRICK QUESTION.

#3Harrison, mysweet lord, and his guru (dont know the name)  CORRECT ON MY SWEET LORD, BUT AS MENTIONED ABOVE, THE TRICK ANSWER HERE WAS THE CHIFFONS's "HE'S SO FINE," AT LEAST ACCORDING TO SOME JUDGE.  OF COURSE "HE'S SO FINE"/"MY SWEET LORD" INSPIRED GEORGE'S ACERBIC "THIS SONG."

#4 Is this a trick question? Lennon- Imagine # 3 us and #2 uk and Walls and bridges #1 us   McCartney- Ram #2 uk and # 3 us  and Bad on the run # 1 us and #1 uk   Harrison- All things must pass # 1 us and # 1 uk  Starr- none ---

NOT A TRICK QUESTION (MEANING THE QUESTION DOESN'T PIT US vs UK), THOUGH YOU DO HAVE THE ANSWER BURIED IN THERE.  THE ANSWER IS IMAGINE TOPPED THE BILLBOARD A-L-B-U-M  CHARTS IN 1971 FOR JUST ONE WEEK.  THAT WAS IN OCTOBER 1971.  WALLS AND BRIDGES DID THE SAME FOR A WEEK IN NOVEMBER 1974. 

INCIDENTALLY, YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT BAND ON THE RUN, THOUGH I BELIEVE IT CHARTED ON TOP FOR TWO WEEKS AS AN ALBUM IN 1974.  THAT WAS THE ONLY YEAR TWO SOLO BEATLE ALBUMS CHARTED TO THE TOP SPOT. RAM DID NOT CHART AS A #1 ALBUM THOUGH ONE OF ITS SINGLES DID.  FINALLY, THOUGH ALL THINGS MUST PASS DID CHART AS A #1 ALBUM, THAT WAS IN 1970 AND NOT 1971.

ANYWAY, ALL THAT ASIDE, AS I SAID, YOU DID ANSWER CORRECTLY, DESPITE THE EXTENDED GUESS.  SO YOU SCORE ON THIS ONE.

#5 One ------------YES!!!!  THAT IS CORRECT.  YOU SAW PAST THE TRICK QUESTION.  GREAT JOB!!!!

#6 Wrack my brain #39 Nov. 81 ----  CORRECT.  SINCE THEN RINGO HAS PUT OUT SONGS FAR SUPERIOR THAN "WRACK MY BRAIN" AND "DOSE OF ROCK & ROLL", BUT MANAGEMENT COMPANY MISTAKES IN THE PROMOTION DEPT. COULD NEVER FIRE UP THE SUCCESS RINGO SAW IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE 1970s.  SO WE GET GREAT ALBUMS SUCH AS VERTICAL MAN AND RINGORAMA WHICH NEVER CHART A SINGLE TUNE. 

(IF YOU'RE PAYING ATTENTION; I JUST ANSWERED ANOTHER QUESTION IN THIS QUIZ THAT REMAINS UP FOR GRABS.)

#7???  ---- THIS QUESTION REMAINS UP FOR GRABS.  HERE'S A HINT; THE SONGS THAT BEAT OUT "LIVE AND LET DIE" FOR #1 WOULD BE CLASSIFIED AS SOFT ROCK OR LIGHT MUSIC.

#8  #10 --- YOU'RE RIGHT ON THE RANKING, BUT MISSED WHAT TK GOT ABOVE.  IT'S ABOUT PAUL'S LANDROVER CAR.

#9  Jet- 1974 ---  CORRECT!

#10  #3 ---- CORRECT.  REMARKABLY, THE ANTHEM THAT MANY OBSERVERS BELIEVE WAS LENNON'S GREATEST SOLO CONTRIBUTION NEVER HIT #1.  SEE THE FIRST QUESTION IN THIS QUIZ FOR THAT HONOR.

#11  It dont come easy #4, Back off boogaloo #9, Photograph #1, Your 16 #1,
   Oh my my #5, Only you #6 and No No song #3 ----  YOU ARE CORRECT, THOUGH SOME CHARTS SAY THAT "IT DON'T COME EASY" (WHICH IS RINGO'S HIGHEST SELLING SINGLE OF HIS ENTIRE SOLO CAREER) ALSO TOPPED AT #1.  REGARDLESS, YOU NAILED THIS ONE.  GREAT JOB! 

THE INTERESTING THING IS THAT THE RINGO ALBUM YIELD TWO #1 SINGLES -- A FEAT QUICKLY MATCHED BY PAUL WITH "BAND ON THE RUN" AND "JET"

#12  Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey ----- YES, THIS WAS PAUL'S FIRST #1. 

#13  Whatever gets you through the night, Band on the run, and the closest
         thing to a third #1 in 1974 was  Your 16  Dec. 1973  ---- CORRECT, THOUGH YOU'RE SIXTEEN HIT NUMBER ONE IN THE THIRD WEEK OF JANUARY 1974 (NOT THIRD WEEK OF DECEMBER 73). 

MANY OBSERVERS MARK THE YEARS 1973-75 AS THE MOST PROLIFIC PERIOD IN SOLO BEATLE ARTISTRY, AT LEAST IN TERMS OF POPULARITY AND SALES.  (EVEN GEORGE'S DARK HORSE DID WELL, THOUGH NOT LIKE RINGO, BAND ON THE RUN OR WALLS & BRIDGES.) THIS PERIOD WOULD NEVER BE REPLICATED AGAIN.

#14  Harrison- All those years ago ---- CORRECT.  HIS TRIBUTE TO JOHN.  IRONICALLY RINGO'S TRIBUTE TO GEORGE DIDN'T FARE WITH THE SAME SUCCESS.

#15  Got my mind set on you Oct. 1987----- CORRECT.
[/quote]

Rickenbacker, again, you did an incredible job with this quiz.  Your final score from a total of 15 possible answers is 12, with half credit provided for two of your answers -- question #s 3 and 8.  Bear in mind that 12 is an incredible score; this was a hard quiz -- not just to answer but to be asked.  (The research on this one just to verify my creaky memory took hours.)

Anyway, you continue to impress Rickenback.  Great job.

Two questions though remain up for grabs.  See next posting item below for those.
Thanks.
Larry

LarryG

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 02:04:21 PM »

As I said, after the fine showing by TK and Rickenbacker, two tough questions from this week's quiz remain up for grabs:

2.  How high in the Billboard Top 100 did Ringo's tribute to George, "Never Without You" chart?  (I provided hints above in Rickenbacker's scoring.)

7.  When released in 1973, "Live and Let Die" peaked as high as #2 for three consecutive weeks.  It failed to hit the number one spot in any of those weeks.  Guess any one of the three songs and/or artists that blocked it.  (As pointed out in Rickenbacker's scoring, the three songs in question would be classified as Light Music or Soft Rock.)

GOOD LUCK!
Larry

RICKENBACKER325

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 03:17:05 PM »

Great quiz Larry. I going to take a guess at

RICKENBACKER325

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 03:27:45 PM »

So I got 12 of 15 :o. Thats far better than I thought I would score. I hoped to get maybe 5 or 6. Its is painfully obvious now, I have spent too much time reading and collecting records....LOL

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 11:57:26 PM »

Good job Ric and yet another fantastic quiz from Larry.

I was going to ask if 'Never Without You' even charted, but I figured it may have snuck in somewhere low in the charts due to the meaning. Oh well.

I also really screwed up Maccas first number one hit. I was thinking 'Another Day' or even 'My Love', but 'Uncle Albert' escaped me for some reason.

RICKENBACKER325

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 01:29:25 PM »

Thanks Tk, The damned thing is, I have scored better on these kind of quizes than I thought  I would, But I cant tell where I left my car keys, My short term memory is shot to hell!!!!!!LOL.  I love these quizes though, It gives me the chance to use all the info I learned when I was supposed to be studying in school......lol.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 03:28:13 PM »

He'll reveal it here, at moondogs or on his blog probably within a few days.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

LarryG

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 03:08:23 AM »

[quote by=RICKENBACKER325 link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1097351398,s=15 date=1097501365]Thanks Tk, The damned thing is, I have scored better on these kind of quizes than I thought  I would, But I cant tell where I left my car keys, My short term memory is shot to hell!!!!!!LOL.  I love these quizes though, It gives me the chance to use all the info I learned when I was supposed to be studying in school......lol.  I wonder when LarryG is going to reveal the answeres to questions # 2 and 7 [/quote]

Actually, I'll reveal the final two answers now:

You were right Rickenbacker on "Never Without You." It never charted.  Which is a sad statement on the music industry today.  Combine Ringo Starr and Eric Clapton singing and playing about George Harrison, and it should at least chart.

Now, as for the songs that knocked Paul's Bond theme from hitting number one, Barbara Streisand was a good guess, but believe it or not, that's not it.  I'm actually blown away by the answer myself:

* Maureen McGovern -- (There's got to be) The Morning After
* Diana Ross -- Touch Me in the Morning
                                              See a theme here? ..... And:
* The Stories -- Brother Louie

As for where I come up with these things, a man came to me on a flaming pie, and said from this moment on, "you will make up Beatle quizzes."

:-)

Seriously, I have no clue, but I thank you, TK, Zipp, HereComestheSun and all the others for your interest and good-natured fun.  I'm working on a British theme for the next one.  Stay tuned.
Larry

P.S.:  I'm not posting the answers yet on Moondogs or my blog.  I want to give those folks a little more time.

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 74 queries.