Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rank Ringo's Albums  (Read 6470 times)

Rank Ringo's Albums
« on: July 15, 2004, 03:45:04 PM »

1. Ringo
2. Time Takes Time
3. Goodnight Vienna
4. Stop and Smell the Roses
5. Bad Boy
6. Old Wave
7. Rotogravure

* Ringo's the only case where I haven't played every album several times. I've never heard all of SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY, though I like a couple of songs ("Bye Bye Blackbird" and "Sentimental Journey"). I never heard all of BEAUCOUPS OF BLUES, though I like a couple there too ("Beaucoups of Blues" and "Coochy Coochy" - bonus track - ).

I'm not wild about VERTICAL MAN and only like "La De Da" and "Drift Away".
RINGORAMA hasn't grown on me at all, though I like "Never Without You".
RINGO THE 4th - I like "Drowning in the Sea of Love" and "Can She Do it Like She Dances".

As for I WANNA BE SANTA CLAUS, it was great that a Beatle did a Christmas album, but this one's not very good IMO. I like "C'mon Christmas, Christmas Come on" best. 
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Rank Ringo's Albums
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 11:10:41 PM »

joe joe joe.........joe.ringorama is great but i think the best one is beaucoups of blues you gotta hear the whole thing.it is great country music.try breaking ringorama and see if you can live without it..i think not lol i could do without the willie deut tho

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 12:00:10 AM »

1. Ringo
2. Goodnight Vienna
3. Ringorama
4. Beaucoups of Blues
5. All Starr Band Anthology
6. I Wanna Be Santa Claus

None of the rest have realy excited me much....

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 12:14:08 AM »

yah right but what about next week??????

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 03:31:49 AM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089906304,s=3 date=1089936848]yah right but what about next week??????[/quote]

Heh, nah......I've heard "Time Takes Time" and "Vertical Man" along with "Bad Boy".......I didn't really like any of them too much.....the first two weren't bad, just not all that interesting........Bad Boy was just horrid, so it makes me want to avoid the rest of his late seventies/early eighties stuff.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 10:09:56 AM »

Bad Boy was just horrid, so it makes me want to avoid the rest of his late seventies/early eighties stuff.

You mean you've NEVER heard the other albums? I definitely think BAD BOY and STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES are underrated albums.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 11:09:31 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089906304,s=5 date=1090145396]

You mean you've NEVER heard the other albums? I definitely think BAD BOY and STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES are underrated albums.

[/quote]

Nope, I've never heard Sentimental Journey, Roses, the 4th , Old Wave or Rotogravure...the latter three are out of print anyway, but I haven't been able to find them on Bearshare as it is.....I think I'll eventually hear SJ, which I figure should be at least decent since it came right before Beaucoups of Blues....then again, the two are entirely different styles of music....

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 03:44:04 PM »

My feeling with Ringo is that his music has to be approached differently when evaluating. After all, he's not a major songwriter like Paul, John and George. Though I love Ringo, he's probably the least Beatle "musically". So, the way I listen to his albums is in keeping the personality and charm of Ringo in my mind, and judging whether or not a Ringo album is "A Good Ringo Record," or a "Bad Ringo Record". I don't go in expecting PLASTIC ONO BAND, ALL THINGS MUST PASS or BAND ON THE RUN. I don't know if I'm explaining it well...

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 08:04:15 AM »

I totally get what you're saying....Ringo's persona is the driving force behind the solo career....the energy that he put into Beaucoups of Blues is what made it such a fantastic album, rather than a regular country record....I approach his albums in the same way, that the music is going to be slight compared to the other three, so it's really more about Ringo's charm and energy....that's why Bad Boy wasn't that great in my opinion, because he seemed lifeless on a lot of the tracks....same for most of Vertical Man.....Ringo Rama, granted, is probably his best written bunch of songs, but they're still similar to that of Vertical Man. However, it's his really enthusiastic energy on tracks like "Never Without You" that really make it far better than anything he's done in twenty five years.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 10:41:15 AM »

I was so inspired by these boards that I listened to BEAUCOUPS OF BLUES yesterday. A couple more songs I liked this time, but overall not something I'd play again. I like maybe three or four tunes.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 11:00:23 AM »

I just let Ringo albums play basically, as I usually don't expect an entire album of standouts....I don't even think he has had one that could qualify, although Ringo was close. Its really great songs were strong enough to make it one of the better solo albums though....anyway, I like Beaucoups of Blues mostly because Ringo is such a charming country singer....his voice is really fit for the style and he doesn't have the annoying southern accent. A great record.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 03:59:01 PM »

I think RINGO and TIME TAKES TIME (I know you don't like it but I'm surprised as it sounds very Beatlesque) are consistently listenable albums from start to finish.

I do agree that Ringo is perfect for country music. And I've heard he's working on a country album right now.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 11:31:52 PM »

When I was growing up (yeah, I'm a grown-up now!!!) I was more of a Ringo fan than a George fan! I played A Blast From Your Past over and over and loved it! I bought Rotogravure when that came out, and guess what? I loved that too, and then I went on a voyage of discovery and bought some back catalog - Ringo and Beaucoups of Blues; no complaints there either!

After that, it all went disco! Arif Mardin over-produced Ringo's following albums and the drummer's charm and enthusiasm was pretty much lost, apart from a very few tracks. By the time Bad Boy came along, he'd lost me as a fan... or maybe I'd just grown up!

The few Ringo tracks I've heard in recent times DO sound really good - but I've never been convinced to part with my cash to buy a whole album. But just like Doris Day said... you know the rest!

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 04:42:28 AM »

Ringo Rama is probably worth the money.......there isn't a bad song on it, and stuff like "Never Without You" and "Memphis in Your Mind" are standout classics in my opinion.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2004, 10:57:28 AM »

Much like Paul's recent DRIVING RAIN, I haven't liked Ringo's recent RINGO RAMA.

I'm going to defend Ringo's BAD BOY album. It has a few good 'Ringo Songs' on it: LIPSTICK TRACES, HEART ON MY SLEEVE, HARD TIMES, A MAN LIKE ME.

I don't know how many younger people know this, but Ringo had a TV Special called OGNIR RRATS in 1978 (George also made an appearance), and the BAD BOY album conicided with it. RIngo sang three of the album's tunes on the show (three of the best IMO - 'Heart on My Sleeve,' 'Hard Times', "A Man Like Me'').

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2004, 02:08:05 PM »

Yeah, I heard of the t.v. special.....it must've been great until the songs began.  ;)

All of that disco junk.....I just had trouble identifying with it. I agree though that there are three or four good songs on Bad Boy, but the rest are impossible for me to sit through...just abysmal sounding. I don't see why you don't like Ringo Rama.....have you gave it a few spins unlike Driving Rain...? Then again, I liked it the first time I heard it....it has a nice modern sound to it, but with great Beatlesesque songwriting. I'm quite excited about the next Ringo record in fact thanks to Rama...

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2004, 07:52:39 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089906304,s=14 date=1090666648]I don't know how many younger people know this, but Ringo had a TV Special called OGNIR RRATS in 1978[/quote]

GOD, I'd forgotten ALL about that! It made me cringe, it was SO bad! LOL ;D

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 11:44:07 PM »

All of that disco junk.....I just had trouble identifying with it.

I didn't see BAD BOY as "disco" at all.

but the rest are impossible for me to sit through...just abysmal sounding. I don't see why you don't like Ringo Rama.....have you gave it a few spins unlike Driving Rain...?

No, I haven't given RINGO RAMA another chance. It was just too abysmal sounding the first time, though not as horrible as DRIVING RAIN.  :D

I don't see why you don't like DIZZY MISS LIZZIE either, so there you go!

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2004, 11:46:04 PM »

GOD, I'd forgotten ALL about that! It made me cringe, it was SO bad!

I'd have to disagree. I thought it was a fine comedy special .... for Ringo. Remember, this is Ringo Starr we're talking about, now! :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 06:42:52 AM »

LOL! Joe hates Ringorama and I think its a top 5 solo effort out of all the boys. Man, we have different tastes for sure. Cool though.

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 73 queries.