Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Top 20 albums including compilations and solo records  (Read 6415 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Top 20 albums including compilations and solo records
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 09:45:40 PM »

We will have to agree to disagree on that one Mr.M.  I see you have 33 1/3 listed also.  I think its interesting that if pushed against a wall, I would say that is one of George's most boring albums, BUT i'm a huge fan of 'Extra Texture' and I know that's a boring one as well.  Different tastes in music fascinates me for some reason.  What makes perfect sense to me might not make sense at all.

I quite like Extra Texture. Definitely an improvement over the woeful Dark Horse. But it's probably half a good album. Then again so is 33.3 in my opinion. Difference being 33.3 errs on the side of upbeat and poppy. Can't say that about ET.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 02:53:19 AM »

It is fascinating how one man's meat is another man's poison so to speak.

For me, "Extra Texture" is a dreary, deplorable album (apart from "You", devoid of any melody, anywhere) which almost makes its predecessor "Dark Horse" sound decent - and that takes some doing! Indeed, I've often felt that I only find "Living In The Material World" tolerable knowing how very much worse Harrison's output would become over the following two years.

To say that George positively turned a corner with "Thirty Three & 1/3" would be an understatement. Having plumbed the depths in '74/'75 it's like he finally came back up for air. Apart from being immeasurably more engaging and accessible, much of George's wry humour returned ("Crackerbox Palace", "This Song") and the preachy, saturnine lecturing had, thankfully, receded. "Beautiful Girl" can still make me tingle - as gorgeous as anything John or Paul produced in the 70s.

I'm glad that we can agree to disagree over these things, it would be so tedious if we all regarded everything the same way.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 05:37:53 AM »

It is fascinating how one man's meat is another man's poison so to speak.

For me, "Extra Texture" is a dreary, deplorable album (apart from "You", devoid of any melody, anywhere) which almost makes its predecessor "Dark Horse" sound decent - and that takes some doing! Indeed, I've often felt that I only find "Living In The Material World" tolerable knowing how very much worse Harrison's output would become over the following two years.

To say that George positively turned a corner with "Thirty Three & 1/3" would be an understatement. Having plumbed the depths in '74/'75 it's like he finally came back up for air. Apart from being immeasurably more engaging and accessible, much of George's wry humour returned ("Crackerbox Palace", "This Song") and the preachy, saturnine lecturing had, thankfully, receded. "Beautiful Girl" can still make me tingle - as gorgeous as anything John or Paul produced in the 70s.

I'm glad that we can agree to disagree over these things, it would be so tedious if we all regarded everything the same way.

And George agreed with you about ET. It is overall dreary. I still think the arrangements and a few of the songs are enough to put it above Dark Horse (and Gone Troppo) in George's discography. 

The songs are quite accomplished in some ways. But unfortunately that way is usually morose and stultifying. 33.3 has some nicer pop tracks. This Song is good. Beautiful Girl is gorgeous I agree (although the lyrics won't please a feminist). Crackerbox Palace is so light and fluffy it could have been a Eurovision song. Woman Don't You Cry for Me is as funky as an ex Beatle gets. He does slip back into preachy mode with Dear One and See Yourself, although the terrific middle 8 of See Yourself lifts it. But he also slips back to snooze mode as well with Learning How to Love You and Pure Smokey.

I can see why 33.3 was much better received. But in my George playlists I have roughly five songs off each album. It varies as I vacillate between including and excluding Crackerbox Palace and True Love. And when I'm feeling sorry for myself I include World of Stone and Grey Cloudy Lies off ET  ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »

My favorite George song of all time is 'His Name Is Legs' off of ET.  Just funny that I like it so well and have yet to see any mention of it.  Again though, I have always hated 'Crackerbox Palace' so what do I know. 

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 02:50:08 AM »

Hmmm... what a challenge, and I'm not including any compilations:

1. Rubber Soul (U.S. version)
2. Yesterday and Today
3. Revolver (U.S. version)
4. Back to the Egg
5. Live at the Hollywood Bowl
6. Abbey Road
7. The White Album
8. Let It Be
9. Hey Jude (yes, it's a compilation but not in the same vein as all the others, imo)
10. Walls & Bridges
11. Venus & Mars
12. Somewhere in England
13. Flaming Pie
14. Band On The Run
15. Meet The Beatles (U.S.)
16. Ringo-Rama
17. Rock & Roll (John)
18. Mind Games
19. Brainwashed
20. Choose Love

A few I left off could have gone either way.

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.953 seconds with 48 queries.