Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Americans hold ´I Want to Hold Your Hand´ in such high regard  (Read 4848 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better

The song is in 16th place in The Rolling Stone Magazines 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time - above In My Life, A Day in the Life, Let it Be etc.

I know this was the song that broke America for them and I know such lists are not to be taken too seriously but this is not the first time I see this song so high on lists from popular magazines/websites from America.

What could be the reason for this as there are certainly better songs in the Beatles-catalog?
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Americans hold ´I Want to Hold Your Hand´ in such high regard
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »

Well, I would say you're answering your own question there. It was their breakout song in America and that probably is a hard thing to topple in people's memories.

It's a good song. There may arguably be better ones, but that one is iconic.

My take on it.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:33:23 PM »

I agree with Klang. It bears more meaning to the Americans then just the meaning of the song itself and its musicality

"Iconic" is the right word Klang

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Maccafan95

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »

"Iconic" is indeed the right word to describe it. I mean, its the one my grandmother remembers the most  :P

R.I.P. Linda Louise McCartney 1941-1998
R.I.P. John Lennon 1940-1980
R.I.P. George Harrison 1943-2001

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »

I don't care what Americans think about "I Want To Hold Your Hand", it's a great song by itself. I loved it since the first time I heard it. I also heard that John thought pretty high about the tune, and even wanted to do a new recording with the Beatles, but they preferred to record new songs.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »

Well, I would say you're answering your own question there. It was their breakout song in America and that probably is a hard thing to topple in people's memories.

It's a good song. There may arguably be better ones, but that one is iconic.

My take on it.

:)

I get what you´re saying but this list is Greatest Songs of All Time - not Songs That Changed The World.  ;)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:28 AM »

I get what you´re saying but this list is Greatest Songs of All Time - not Songs That Changed The World.  ;)

And how do you decide the greatness of a song? Changing the world gives a song a lot of greatness actually.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

sregis

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »

i'd be careful to place too much weight on necessarity linking subjective rankings from a magazine that happens to be american w/ the collective opinions of that country.  i mean, it topped the brit charts as well, no?  is it better than "she loves you"?  for me, it's virtually the same song with the same impact.  these lists are always interesting to me because there's always a combination of technically musical and historical analysis placed on it- as it should be.  so some of the earlier stuff is naturally going to weight higher because of the cultural import it represented in that context.  perhaps the purest opinion is that of a new generation simply presented w/ the catalog and nothing else.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »

perhaps the purest opinion is that of a new generation simply presented w/ the catalog and nothing else.

I think that historical context has its place when judging 'greatness' - whatever on earth that actually is.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

sregis

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »

I think that historical context has its place when judging 'greatness' - whatever on earth that actually is.

:P

absolutely

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

Yeah maybe I´m misunderstanding the whole thing as english is not my first language.  roll:) ??? :-X :)

KelMar

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:35 AM »

Brynjar, If you listen to what topped the charts in the US at the time this song came along you can really get a sense of how different it was and how it changed everything.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »

Make no mistake - I do like the song. I do think it´s geat. I was just surprised to see RS place it higher than those songs I mentioned as I consider them to be better, but as Klang said, maybe RS is taking historical context into account. I can't argue with that.  ;)

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »

Yep, I'm with Klang on this one, but "She Loves You" is a close second for the same reason. For those in the U.K., Beatlemania was gradual, brick by brick. In the U.S., we got hit by the whole wall, and IWTHYH was painted all over that wall. For American Beatle-People, that song blew us away.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 73 queries.