Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Singles - Love Me Do.  (Read 8308 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Singles - Love Me Do.
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »

Just thought maybe it would be fun (and of interest) to give our thoughts on each (UK) single, starting with Love Me Do. (the next one next week?)

I like Love Me Do. I think the thing that really lifts it from the norm is the harmonica, and I have to give credit for that to George Martin.
And hats off to him for choosing (for it was his decision) an original over the cover.
I like his comment that the song made it impossible to catagorise The Beatles.
If I have a beef it is worthy those awfully inane lyrics. Even for an era which most people say inane lyrics were the norm, I just did a trawl of the other singles in the charts, and even Chris Montez's Let's Dance come across like Shakespeare compared to this. bad bad bad, and something we would cane other bands for.

I will point out that the mighty Rolf Harris's Sun Arise hit number 2, and with it's Didgeroo do and aboriginal inspiration anticipated world music years before our George. Respect.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:12:42 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

Re: Singles - Love Me Do.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »

Me like too. The harmonies are very nice, and make the song, for me. I wonder what the hardcore fans in Liverpool felt though about this being released as the first single rather than something rockier.

Always ready with the Rolf plugs Kev! ;)

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »

Good idea Kevin and nice to find something substantial in the recent posts.

Personally I never cared much about Love Me Do. It sounds very simple (and it is a simple song with just a couple of chords). The song doesn't sound like the Beatles sounded in those days imo. It lacks the energy of their live performances ánd that of later recording. Nevertheless it's not that bad for a debut, but I usually skip it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:26:12 PM »

Good idea Kevin and nice to find something substantial in the recent posts.

Personally I never cared much about Love Me Do. It sounds very simple (and it is a simple song with just a couple of chords). The song doesn't sound like the Beatles sounded in those days imo. It lacks the energy of their live performances ánd that of later recording. Nevertheless it's not that bad for a debut, but I usually skip it.
George Martin did say that his aim was to get a "blank canvass" group and mould them into the sound he wanted. Add to that Epsteins total revamp of their image and maybe real Beatle histories shouldn't begin with two lads meeting in Liverpool  but two men meeting in London.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »

It's a pretty good song. It is certainly catchy and the harmonica is great. But like Kevin, I hate the lyrics. They sound like something you'd find in a cheap greeting-card.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »

It is certainly catchy and the harmonica is great. But like Kevin, I hate the lyrics. They sound like something you'd find in a cheap greeting-card.

Definitely have to agree on this.  I guess to me it shows the sort of "humble beginnings" and the amazing-ness (for lack of a better term) that is the Lennon/McCartney harmonies.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:18:05 PM »

I wonder why they don't do "I saw her standing there" as a first single, a stronger material
With our love we can save the world

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 08:24:52 PM »

We have had the discussion about the first single before. I seem to remember that I Saw Her Standing There was not written at the time of the recording session.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »

Not completely sure, but I think the first recorded appearance of ISHST is at the Star Club on 25 Dec. 1962. Probably very new at the time.

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »

Somewhere I read that was from 61. ISHST appears on the Cavern rehearsal (With harmonica). From which year it was?

I think that I read Pete saying that he plays this song

http://www.petebest.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3222
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:04:25 PM by Nelson_Wilbury »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 01:47:10 AM »

Even the harmonica couldnt save this song for me. I dont hate it, but I dont love it either. Honestly, its a song that has a lazy, dragging feeling that goes nowhere. Maybe a little to simplistic.

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 02:25:45 AM »

I like this song
imagine buy the disc in 1962 and hear a band that not try to sound like an orchestra like The Shadows. A real band, where you can hear the rhythm guitar, you can hear the bass drum, etc.
At the same time, it's a very rare song, including all the beatles songs. I don't remember nothing that sound like this.
The lyrics maybe you can say that are poor and very repetitive, but what about that? "I want you (She's so heavy)" it's more.

Nobody will talk about the B side?

A long time ago, I read some Paul's interview and he say that they think in this period (61-62) that the new sound will be Latin, and I believe that's true. They think it. So they play songs like "Besame mucho" "Till there was you" "Ask me why" and "P.S. I love you", all of them with a latin taste.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 07:37:41 AM »

I'll talk about the B side.

'PS I Love You' is a thousand times better than 'Love Me Do'. I dont know how much clearer I can be.

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 10:45:31 AM »

I dont know how much clearer I can be.

What humour!!!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »

I like this song
imagine buy the disc in 1962 and hear a band that not try to sound like an orchestra like The Shadows. A real band, where you can hear the rhythm guitar, you can hear the bass drum, etc.

Lordy. Sometimes I despair. Have you listened to the October 1962 charts? In the top ten alone there are four songs (Carloe King - It Might As Well Rain Until September, Tommy Roe-Sheila, Cliff Richard It'll be Me and Four Seasons - Sherry) where you can clearly hear "real bands where you can hear the rhythm guitar, bass drum etc.
And whart about Little Eva's Locomotion? Horn driven rather than guitar, it thunders out at you and makes everyone else (including The Beatles) sound like elevator muzak.
There is nothing outstanding about Love Me Do, probably reflected in the fact that it barely dented the top twenty. No one at the time said "my God, this is something new." It does (to my ears anyway) have a much crisper production that much of the competition. Compare it to the god awful muddiness of the #1 Meek produced Telstar, which does redeem itself for having the kind of special effects people try and credit pyschedelic bands (normally The Beatles) pioneering four years later.
And it's unique? You don't think it sits nicely with songs like From Me To You or I Should Have Known Better? And harmonica intro, jaunty medium paced guitar driven rhythm, catchy lyric - how about Bruce Channels Hey Baby (whose harmonica player was an inspiration for Lennon's style.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:20:16 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 11:11:30 AM »

When did The Shadows sound like an orchestra? It's a catchy little tune, nothing more. I think it goes to show how little original material they had at that time.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »

Never thought i'd see the day when somebody would go to lengths to stick up for 'Love Me Do'.

If the song was so great, Epstein wouldnt have had to buy up so many of his own records now would he?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »

Nelson_Wilbury

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 02:03:57 PM »

Being ths spanish my language, sometimes it's hard to find the way to say the things that I think.
The orchestra stuff, was to say that many artist (including Shadows) made his music very rigid, without feeling (I don't know if is the right word to use).
I'm working right now, I will write more later.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 02:09:42 PM »

^ There's not a lot of feeling in Love Me Do though, is there? Or am I listening to a different tune?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.971 seconds with 83 queries.