Beatles forums > Microscopes

Beatles under a microscope - Please Please Me

<< < (2/16) > >>

nimrod:

--- Quote ---2. Misery - Not one of my favorites and not a lot to say about it. I think the piano sounds stupid in it and should have been a guitar, but that’s just me. Song has good harmonies and tight playing. Really not much else to add.

--- End quote ---

I think there is quite a lot to say about misery  ;D...the solemn intro is a bit misleading as it then continues to bump along in a G  major kind of happy beat  :) so its like john is miserable but he's telling us in a happy almost perky way. (imagine listening to the verses without the vocals)

Now heres a little quiz guys....was this the first melisma (ba-aaa-ad and dr-aaa-ag)) on a beatle song ? ( i like melisma's)  ;D

Also theres an interesting kind of key change in the middle section "i remember all the little things weve done" is a descending dorian e minor as opposed to the happy g major of the verse (the sadder dorian fits beautifully with the lyric) so thats a very interesting move by john, a forerunner if you like to his later songs that change key (and time signature)

A fine song IMO and enhanced by the little piano riffs that come in to give an accentuated feel to the 2 middle sections, i can imagine john & paul polishing this one off in about 30 minutes  ;D

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: tkitna on March 18, 2011, 04:11:00 PM ---9. PS I Love You - Another song I’ve liked forever. Pauls voice just sounds suited for this tune. He does a nice job. It doesn’t get much better than when Paul, John, and George takes a turn at the vocals. Love it. One thing that bothered me was the shaker throughout the song. Get rid of that and add some hi hats and I’m good to go.
--- End quote ---

As I write this letter (Oh)
Send my love to you (you know I want you to)
Remember that I'll always (yeah)
Be in love with you.

I love when Paul did that.  I love this song!

tkitna:

--- Quote from: Gary910 on March 18, 2011, 06:46:19 PM ---From your comments you are reviewing the Stereo version.
--- End quote ---

That’s correct. I didn’t buy the mono set because I prefer stereo.

--- Quote ---'Please Please Me' does not have harmonica (What are you smoking, Gary...???) It is a mouth organ. Slightly different.
--- End quote ---

Hmm, interesting. I was unaware of that nor do I even know what that instrument is.

--- Quote --- I wish I could find the reference, but there is speculation out there that Ringo did not play drums here or on 'Ask Me Why'.
--- End quote ---

I never heard this, but I’m glad you brought it up. I forgot to mention that Andy White played the drums on ‘PS I Love You’.

--- Quote ---I admire John's vocal in 'Twist And Shout', but it isn't a song I am in love with.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, me either.

tkitna:

--- Quote from: nimrod on March 18, 2011, 11:34:19 PM ---I think there is quite a lot to say about misery  ;D...the solemn intro is a bit misleading as it then continues to bump along in a G  major kind of happy beat  :) so its like john is miserable but he's telling us in a happy almost perky way. (imagine listening to the verses without the vocals)

Now heres a little quiz guys....was this the first melisma (ba-aaa-ad and dr-aaa-ag)) on a beatle song ? ( i like melisma's)  ;D

Also theres an interesting kind of key change in the middle section "i remember all the little things weve done" is a descending dorian e minor as opposed to the happy g major of the verse (the sadder dorian fits beautifully with the lyric) so thats a very interesting move by john, a forerunner if you like to his later songs that change key (and time signature)

A fine song IMO and enhanced by the little piano riffs that come in to give an accentuated feel to the 2 middle sections, i can imagine john & paul polishing this one off in about 30 minutes  ;D

--- End quote ---

Now thats technical. I'm only a drummer so your speaking beyond me, but I do agree they probably finished that one off in 30 minutes or less.  ha2ha

7 of 13:

--- Quote from: tkitna on March 18, 2011, 04:11:00 PM ---11. Do You Want To Know A Secret
--- End quote ---
pure. heaven.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version