Solo forums > George Harrison

Sour Milk Sea

(1/5) > >>

Moogmodule:
I was listening to one of those iTunes Radio stations this evening and Jackie Lomax came on doing Sour Milk Sea.

Jackie sang like he was in the middle of swallowing a cherry tomato whole. Am I the only one who wishes the Beatles had done this song? I'm not saying it was a hit single but it's a really good upbeat tune. Would have worked well on White Album or Let it Be.

oldbrownshoe:
A lot of 'ifs' here.....
.....but if The Beatles had split after Brian's death, and if George had cobbled together 12 songs from 'Blue Jay Way', 'The Inner Light', 'All Things Must Pass', 'Old Brown Shoe', 'Badge', 'Sour Milk Sea', 'Not Guilty', the 4 on the White Album, the 2 on 'Yellow Submarine' and the 2 on 'Abbey Road' for a solo LP, and if it had been produced by anyone EXCEPT Phil Spector for a September 1969 release, and if he'd gone acoustic on them rather than heavy, it would probably be voted above 'Astral Weeks', 'Sgt. Pepper's' and 'VU & Nico' on all those Top 500 lists.

Bobber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0G_8BgFYeM

Bobber:

--- Quote from: oldbrownshoe on August 07, 2014, 12:01:29 PM ---A lot of 'ifs' here.....
.....but if The Beatles had split after Brian's death, and if George had cobbled together 12 songs from 'Blue Jay Way', 'The Inner Light', 'All Things Must Pass', 'Old Brown Shoe', 'Badge', 'Sour Milk Sea', 'Not Guilty', the 4 on the White Album, the 2 on 'Yellow Submarine' and the 2 on 'Abbey Road' for a solo LP, and if it had been produced by anyone EXCEPT Phil Spector for a September 1969 release, and if he'd gone acoustic on them rather than heavy, it would probably be voted above 'Astral Weeks', 'Sgt. Pepper's' and 'VU & Nico' on all those Top 500 lists.

--- End quote ---

There's certainly some good songs on that virtual album, but some very weak ones as well. I don't rate Blue Jay Way, Badge, Not Guilty, Only A Northern Song, Long Long Long, Piggies and (but that's strictly personal) Guitar Weeps along his best work. To rate this album higher than for instance Sgt Pepper is a firm statement.

oldbrownshoe:
'Very weak'. Really?
What rates as better than 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' after his stint with The Beatles? The gross over-production of 'All Things Must Pass'? Anything after that?

OK, look at it another way then.
10 tracks (Nick Drake's '69 LP had 10 tracks).

1. Here Comes The Sun
2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
3. Something
4. All Things Must Pass
5. For You Blue

There's your side one!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version