Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What do YOU think?  (Read 18236 times)

Will Campbell

• A Beginning
  • In my life....I love you more
What do YOU think?
« on: January 07, 2005, 06:29:21 AM »

Most of you would be aware of the row (again) between Paul & Yoko over the songwriting credits of Yesterday.  For those of you who haven't heard however, Paul wanted to include Yesterday on a collection of Paul McCartney (read: solo efforts) Love Songs.

I have read variously that he wanted the song on the album and the writing credits altered to (depending on the source) McCartney/Lennon or McCartney.  Yoko has refused to allow it.

My question is whose side would you take?  I have to say that for once, I'd take Yoko's - the song was released on a Beatles album and was published as a Lennon/McCartney composition.  It's a Beatles track and not a McCartney.

Interested to see what the rest of you think?  News articles can be found on the net - it broke on or about the 28th of Decemebr last year....

Here's another clue for you all; the Walrus was Paul...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: What do YOU think?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 09:37:58 AM »

I take Yoko's side, only for one reason, though: Yesterday isn't a love song! It's a depressing song! It's supposed to be for when you've loved and lost, not loved! It does NOT belong on any Love Song compilation, no matter who releases it. But I think it should be credited as a McCartney/Lennon composition because it was mainly Paul's song, regardless of whether it is on a Beatles or solo album... But that's just my opinion :)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:41:44 AM »

I think if Paul gets away with this one he would open a can of worms and compromise the legacy of The Beatles. Where would it stop?
I hope it's not vanity on Paul's part although it's pretty obvious that the song is 'his' like 'Masterpiece' and he may be very well attached to it. Still that's no reason to break the unity or devalue the BEatles song stock like that. I suppose Ringo would not have the same problem. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Mr.Moonlight

• One And One Is Two
  • ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE
    • My Beatles Shrine
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »

Paul whether in front or in the back both earn

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 02:24:24 AM »

[quote by=PaulLennon68 link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1105079361,s=1 date=1105090678]I take Yoko's side, only for one reason, though: Yesterday isn't a love song! It's a depressing song! It's supposed to be for when you've loved and lost, not loved! It does NOT belong on any Love Song compilation, no matter who releases it. But I think it should be credited as a McCartney/Lennon composition because it was mainly Paul's song, regardless of whether it is on a Beatles or solo album... But that's just my opinion :)[/quote]

I totally agree!

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 02:30:38 AM »

paul has the right to use it but he should still say lennon mccartney
but still paul wrote it not john

Paul McCartney :)

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 01:23:43 AM »

I totally agree with An Apple Beatle. Paul's an egomaniac. He needs to let it be.

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 01:41:34 PM »

i have to agree as well that paul is a bit of an egomaniac.... i certainly felt that way after watching LIB...but i will say that if paul wants that on his album then put it on there... no need to change the lennon/mcCartney title coz everyone knows that he wrote the damn song .... but as far as asking yoko for permission.... well that would really p*ss me off !

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 01:30:34 AM »

What makes the difference? Paul has the right to switch the order around anyways as he did on 'Back In The US' and 'Wings Across America' so that argument can be thrown out the window. Yoko wasnt arguing about the credit switch, she was arguing with Paul because the album he was going to put out was his solo love songs and 'Yesterday' was a Beatles song. Remember, Yoko omitted Paul as a credit for 'Give Peace A Chance' on one of Johns compilations (The John Lennon Collection), so its all good.

I recieved this information on a different board and the link doesnt work now, but I copied and pasted the article -

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xml...bpages/mccartne y%20angry%20with%20ono.s%20beatles%20song%20ban (note the error on the time from Lennon's death to the time the problems between Paul and Yoko became public--1980 to 2000 is 20 years, not 10)

December 28, 2004 -- Daily Mail

Yoko's feud with Paul looks as though it's here to stay.

More than four years after their public row over the song "Yesterday," Sir Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono are still squabbling.

John Lennon's widow has banned Sir Paul from including his best-known ballad on a solo album of love songs because she insists it is by the Beatles.

And he is so unhappy about Yoko's decision that he is considering abandoning the entire project. "He can't believe she is being so petty," said a source close to Sir Paul.

Yoko, 71, has always been accused of breaking up the Beatles by distancing Lennon from his bandmates McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. But the ill-feeling between her and Sir Paul did not break into the open until 2000, ten years after Lennon's murder, when Yoko and the three surviving group members put together the "Beatles 1" album and the "Anthology" DVD and book.

Although "Yesterday" is credited to Lennon/McCartney, it was entirely the work of Sir Paul and he asked for his name to be put first this time.

"I felt that after 30 years this would be a nice gesture and something that might be easy for Yoko to agree with," 62-year-old Sir Paul said at the time. "At first she said yes then she rang back a couple of hours later and reversed her decision."

Two years later, Sir Paul hit back. On his album "Back In The U.S. Live 2002," the credits for all the Beatles songs read "composed by Paul McCartney and John Lennon."
Yoko responded by removing McCartney's credit from "Give Peace A Chance" on the "Lennon Legend" DVD. Even though the song was written by Lennon it had always had McCartney's name on it because it was written when they were still in The Beatles.

The latest installment of the feud involves an album called "Paul McCartney Love Songs," due out early in the New Year.

Although it features mainly music from his post-Beatles days including, "My Love," "Silly Love Songs," "Girlfriend," and "Pipes of Peace," he had hoped to include "Yesterday" because it was a solo effort.

The source close to Sir Paul said last night that the album had been due to come out around Valentine's Day.

"The Apple group - which is now essentially Paul, Ringo, Yoko and George's widow Olivia - has a final decision about what happens with all Beatles music. All of the others were happy to let Paul put 'Yesterday' on the new album but Yoko refused.
"Even though she knows John did not have a hand in writing 'Yesterday' she insisted that as a Beatles song it should not be on a Paul McCartney solo album.

"This situation is becoming more and more petty. And what infuriates Paul the most is that he knows if John were still around there would not be a problem."

A spokesman for Yoko said, "This is a Beatles decision - you to speak to Apple."
A spokesman for Apple was unavailable for comment.

Will Campbell

• A Beginning
  • In my life....I love you more
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 03:45:45 AM »

Agreed, and that's what I was getting at - it is a Beatles song; not solo Paul song - that's why I backed Yoko.

Here's another clue for you all; the Walrus was Paul...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 06:57:24 AM »

Yes, but what about this (just something to ponder)? Why was there no complaining here?

Track listing

1  Something  Harrison  3:03 
2  If I Needed Someone  Harrison  2:23 
3  Here Comes the Sun  Harrison  3:07 
4  Taxman  Harrison  2:38 
5  Think for Yourself  Harrison  2:21 
6  For You Blue  Harrison  2:32 
7  While My Guitar Gently Weeps  Harrison  4:47 
8  My Sweet Lord  Harrison  4:39 
9  Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)  Harrison  3:36 
10  You  Harrison  3:42 
11  Bangla Desh  Harrison  3:59 
12  Dark Horse  Harrison  3:54 
13  What Is Life  Harrison  4:20 

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 11:15:12 AM »

nice post tkitna .......

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 11:23:24 AM »

paul who?????

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 11:42:47 AM »

You can call him Sir, and who are those two f**s on the right of your signature?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 01:10:12 PM »

More to the point, how about this:

1. Real Love
2. Twist And Shout
3. Help!
4. In My Life
5. Strawberry Fields Forever
6. A Day In The Life
7. Revolution
8. The Ballad Of John And Yoko
9. Julia
10. Don't Let Me Down

11. Give Peace A Chance
12. How?
13. Imagine (Rehearsal)
14. God
15. Mother
16. Stand By Me
17. Jealous Guy
18. Woman
19. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
20. (Just Like) Starting Over
21. Imagine

I think Paul SHOULD be allowed to use Yesterday if he wants, but it should retain the "Lennon/McCartney" songwriting credit.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 05:13:33 PM »

Exactly.
The basic point is that its his song, and Im sure Lennon wouldn't be bothered.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 05:16:31 PM »

I have a better understanding of the principles of argument now. Cheers Tkitna. It all does seem a bit petty as Lenny Pane pointed out...must be horrible having to ask for permission. If they are predominantly written by one and they do a solo thing maybe it's right to have the one name...I was just getting at the shame of having to bother. Seems like a future legacy investment.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 05:23:30 PM »

Personally I think Paul and Yoko don't care THAT much about the songwriting credits and are in actuality just doing this to spite each other. I wouldn't put it past the two of them, their little rivalry has been going on for quite a while now.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 05:36:25 PM »

hmmmm you could have a point there .... but we can only speculate i guess .

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 06:25:39 PM »

..well I know who's side Im on :)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 82 queries.