Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Turntable Question  (Read 1157 times)

KelMar

Turntable Question
« on: November 22, 2019, 09:50:19 PM »

What should I look for in a turntable if I want to play 180 gram vinyls? Thanks audiophiles!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Turntable Question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 10:15:14 PM »

Audio-Technica ATLP120USB Direct Drive Professional USB Turntable

I upgraded the stylus to the Audio-Technica AT440MLa Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge...

The turntable comes with a decent quality AT95E Dual Magnet Cartridge...

The upgraded AT440MLa cartridge is very expensive.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 10:31:56 PM »

Thank you so much Barry! Santa is coming early and has already put this in his cart. He is spoiling me terribly this year and it all started with the just-released 180 gram 45’s that he saw on the news. I am overwhelmed, right now.

So if I want to play old vinyls do I have do anything besides clean the stylus afterwards? I don’t want to damage the new records.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 10:37:15 PM »

This needs to be connected to an amp, right?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 10:47:13 PM »

You have to clean your old vinyl records before you play them to help protect the stylus, Kelley.

Yes, you need to connect the turntable to an amplifier.

I have the ATPL120 (Non-USB) turntable which I bought in 2005.  The USB version came out a few years later which would have been good to transcribe songs to a computer and make mp3s out of them.  You can do that with the current version turntable.

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »

You have to clean your old vinyl records before you play them to help protect the stylus, Kelley.

Okay; I’m all set to do that.

Yes, you need to connect the turntable to an amplifier.

That’s what we thought but we were a bit confused by the preamp. Now we get it. ;D It’s been so many years since we’ve had anything like this. Thanks again for your help, Barry.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:49 AM »

The built-in preamp lets you hook the turntable up to a computer to transcribe music to mp3 files.  The turntable comes with Audacity software for you to download onto your computer.

The only drawback with this turntable is that when its connected to an amplifier and speakers, the preamp, although not in use, tends to darken the sound a bit.  True audiophiles will choose an amplifier without a preamp which will yield a brighter sound.  Mine doesn't have the preamp or the USB jack so it's perfect for my use.  I'm not an audiophile and I doubt I would be able to tell the difference in sound if I hooked up the newer version ATLP120USB turntable.

The ATLP120USB is a great direct-drive turntable at a very reasonable price for this caliber direct-drive turntable and it allows you to make your own mp3 files for you to enjoy anywhere.

Next you need a good amplifier and speakers.  More expense ahead.  Santa better make a second stop at your place!   ;D

This is what I have...

Yamaha R-N602 Hi-Fi Network Receiver

I have a (no longer available) older version of these Klipsch RB-61 II Reference Series Bookshelf Speakers

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 10:29:47 PM »

This is what I have...

Yamaha R-N602 Hi-Fi Network Receiver

Thanks, Barry. I’ll file that info away. In the meantime, I’ve ordered another vintage Discwasher in case mine self-destructs or some other dreadful thing. I hear the fabric on the new version doesn't work as well.
The turntable arrives on Monday!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 01:39:29 AM »

Cleaning records is best done by hand, Kelley.

If you ordered the Audio-Technica ATLP120USB turntable, you'll be quite pleased with it.  I am with its predecessor the Audio-Technica ATLP120.  Direct-drive turntables are the most accurate in maintaining set speeds.  Read the instruction manual fully before you set up your turntable.

Amplifiers and Receiver/Amplifiers are all very good these days.  The Yamaha unit I bought last year replaced my 30 year old Scott Amplifier and separate Scott tuner.  The Yamaha is so much better with its contemporary circuitry.

Klipsch is highly regarded for the quality and sound of their speakers.  I have the Klipsch RB-5 II Reference Series Bookshelf Speakers...

They were only made from 2001 to 2003.  They're highly sought after today.  I've heard the new Klipsch Reference Series speakers.  They sound every bit as good as mine.

The dusty speakers pictured are not mine but rather from a lucky person who found a pair of them for sale.  I remember paying about $750 for them in 2001.  They offered a choice of woods.  I got the cherry wood enclosures as pictured.

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 03:40:09 AM »

Cleaning records is best done by hand, Kelley.

I’m not sure what you mean, Barry.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 03:55:19 AM »

^

Like this, Kelley...

https://youtu.be/n6AcC5dGJgk

KelMar

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 10:24:03 PM »

Now I’m ready! That’s a great video, Barry. Thanks!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 06:03:13 AM »

^

But don't get the record cleaner kit they showed, Kelley.  The carbon fiber brush might be a bit too harsh.  Rather, get this kit which you can buy on Amazon:  #1 Record Cleaner Kit - Complete 4-in-1 Vinyl Cleaning Solution, Includes Velvet Record Brush, XL Cleaning Liquid, Stylus Brush and Travel Pouch! Will NOT Scratch Your Records!

And some microfiber cloths:  Record Cleaning Anti-Static Cloth - Extra Large

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 06:16:58 AM »

^

But don't get the record cleaner kit they showed, Kelley.  The carbon fiber brush might be a bit too harsh.

Too late! I bought the brush from Amazon but I began having misgivings after I ordered it. I’m going to return it the next time I go to Kohl’s. The funny thing is, the kit you linked to has a brush that’s very similar to what I already have:

Mine is in better condition than this one.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 06:25:44 AM »

^

That'll work just fine.  Did you get the turntable yet?

KelMar

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 06:57:39 AM »

Yes, it came on Monday. It’s been so busy around here but I’m hoping that we can set it up on Sunday.

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 66 queries.