Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Singles - We Can Work It Out / Daytripper.  (Read 4439 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Singles - We Can Work It Out / Daytripper.
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »

I really like WCWIO. It's a hard song to classify, and definately breaks the mold from any previous single. Maybe the strange instrumentation makes it stand out. Great lyrics from both Paul and John.
Don't mind Day Tripper - it's a nice, stripped down, does the business kind of song, if rather lacking in imagination.

Most of all this double a sider starts the proud tradition of Lennon whinging about his singles being flipped in favour of Pauls. Get used to it John Boy.
don't follow leaders

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
Re: Singles - We Can Work It Out / Daytripper.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »

We Can Work It Out is in my top 5 Beatles songs, I LOVE it! I enjoy Day Tripper as well, but it's not one of my favorites, great riff though.

The name's Emily :)

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:39:39 PM »

We Can Work It Out... I LOVE IT! One of my favorites!! Day Tripper was the first lick I learned on guitar as well :D Both awesome songs!

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »

The Beatles - We Can Work It Out

Day Tripper (the Beatles)

I felt they needed to be posted :)

The name's Emily :)

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:29:49 PM »

I really like WCWIO. It's a hard song to classify, and definately breaks the mold from any previous single. Maybe the strange instrumentation makes it stand out. Great lyrics from both Paul and John.
Don't mind Day Tripper - it's a nice, stripped down, does the business kind of song, if rather lacking in imagination.

Most of all this double a sider starts the proud tradition of Lennon whinging about his singles being flipped in favour of Pauls. Get used to it John Boy.

I 100 % share your opinion about We Can Work It Out. I would add that it is a very nice example of collaboration between Paul and John, putting together two quite different pieces of music to achieve a surprising, well balanced result.

However, I find that Day Tripper’s is indeed interesting for its very powerful riff and unusual structure (D Major, then A, then that short venture upwards into B minor. They’d never done that before). Plus the surprising fact that Paul’s Bass repeats the riff on the same level octave that George’s riff, instead of the predictable one-octave-lower usual scheme. That being said, have nothing much to say to add about the lyrics, I think you’ve covered it all.
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »

A couple of my favorites right here.

'We Can Work It Out' is a super cool tune. Love the sounds of all the instruments and the mood of this one. Its happy one moment with life looking up and then it reaches its somber tone with the whole 'Life is very short' etc,,,. Excellent song, but I have gotten sick of it before. Everything in moderation I suppose.

'Day Tripper',,,,what can I say? One of the most famous riffs in musical history. I love the guitar solo on this one and the harmonies. The solo has that straining, whining sound that the song needs in that instance when the pitch is feverish and climbing. The harmonies are top notch as usual and the drumming is solid as a rock. Another damn tamborine lol. No, its perfect in this song. A+ in my book.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »

WCWIO is a good song. It's never been one of my favourites, but I always enjoy it if it comes on.

Day Tripper.... AMAZING. I love this song so much. I think it really helped to solidify the Beatles' status as more than just a bunch of happy moptops. The riff, obviously, is great, and I love John's vocals. Very sneering, I think. Kind of a social commentary in a way- I feel that this song could have been influenced by the "weekend hippies", you know, people who do drugs on Friay and Saturday and then go back to work (or daddy's house) on Monday.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »

I think the official story from Paul (as far as that means anything, although I suppose this one makes more sense than some other "official stories") is that John finally got Paul to try LSD, and he didn't like it, so John wrote the song to rib him about it. The lyrics do seem to imply that whatever the titular Day Tripper was tripping on that day, he didn't particularly enjoy it: "She's a big teaser/She took me half the way there" and all.

Anyway, it's a great song. I was never very fond of "WCWIO" for some reason, although I love the harmonium.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »

I think Mairi's is the generally accepted view of DT (that it's about part-time drugusers, not Paul.) though this is only 1965, long before hippies, trips and LSD entered the public conscience. It existed only amongst a priviledged few at the time.
A quick look at the web revealed lots of people going for prostitutes (?), a few for suicide and one for masterbation. People see what they want to see.
don't follow leaders

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »

A privileged few like John Lennon, and on one or two occasions, Paul McCartney, for example.

The lyrics are (intentionally) vague enough that a number of interpretations could make sense, of course. I also note that there was definitely at least a double meaning, one about drugs and one about a woman. Whether the woman is a prostitute can be discussed, of course, but the meaning about the woman is there and obviously intentional.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »

I always figured as the original lyric about the girl was "she's a prick teaser" it had something to do well, teases. :)  Turn a guy on and then leave them erm....hanging so to speak("took me half the way there").  I think that's where the drug double entendres come in as well being as "turn on" was also drug slang(see "A Day in the Life" for an example of it's use that way).

I've always preferred We Can Work it Out though I do quite like Day Tripper as well, Day Tripper just seems more "common" to me.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »

Was not 'day tripper' also a very 'British' past-time/coined phrase before mass tourism as we know it kicked in? Trips to Blackpool, saver tickets etc. Ticket To Ride, Mystery Tour, Day Tripper all tie in with their little adventures John & Paul would take before the days of Germany... This is a great demonstration of their ambiguity in lyrical sense. All 3 guitars unison on the riff and complicated 3part harmonies pull off to resolve the piece nicely..
...I bet they were well aware and giggling at all it's potential interpretations. They also get to do a set of ahhhhhh's like Twist & Shout but this time it's their own, on the chord of B, so the original riff powers back in on the E. Let's not forget the importance of tambourine in this tune aswell....vibe setter, perfectly placed.

WCWIO - The instrumentation, the mighty chorus and the 3/4 chorus stabs and ending make it a tidy piece and a defining Beatle harmony (Love Lennon's vocal tone in the chorus.) I always found the verses a bit blandly repetitive on the Paul vocal, although that's what adds to the dynamic and seriousness of the chorus I guess. Excellent acoustic guitar sound and that tambourine again. A good day at the office.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »

When I really discovered The Beatles in the mid 70's, We Can Work It Out was my all time favourite song. I loved the different tone of voice (in many ways) of the verses that Paul sang and John's middle eights. Although I grew a bit tired of it over the years, it is still a great song to listen to every now and then.
Day Tripper walk the opposite way more or less. I didn't think much of it, sounding like a simple song. Today I absolutely love the song with the terrific riff and Paul's extremely high harmonies. All in all, a truely double a-side.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »

Actually Bobber your right...I haven't always thought the vocal on WCWIO was bland...just over time. I think I also confused bridge with chorus when I wrote earlier......I suppose the lines 'We Can Work It Out' represent the chorus where I mentioned Lennons vocal in the chorus, I infact mean the MIddle 8/bridge.....Damn I'm tired. lol

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »

Actually Bobber your right...I haven't always thought the vocal on WCWIO was bland...just over time. I think I also confused bridge with chorus when I wrote earlier......I suppose the lines 'We Can Work It Out' represent the chorus where I mentioned Lennons vocal in the chorus, I infact mean the MIddle 8/bridge.....Damn I'm tired. lol

I hope you don't make errors like that while working in your studio. ha2ha!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »

heheheh...only on my own material. I make others write it out!

It is a very short chorus though....almost sounds like the end of a verse. Not many lyrics. I should have read the chord book before posting I confess. lol
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:38:59 PM by An Apple Beatle »

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »

Day Tripper/WCWIO aren't two of my personal favourite Beatles tunes, but that's probably because of over-familiarity rather than any shortcomings with the songs themselves.
I wish I could listen to them with fresh ears - like I'd never heard them before today.
I think they've both dated well - they'd both still be hits if they were released by a young band today.
Day Tripper has a fantastic guitar sound, with the lead and bass guitar doubling the main riff and Lennon doing the rhythm part - loud enough to be heard but not so loud that it gets in the way.
Here's a great clip of takes 2 and 3 of Day Tripper .....
The Beatles Day Tripper studio takes

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 01:52:40 AM »

This was the first Beatles 45 RPM record I bought when it was released.  Day Tripper had more radio air time and I liked it a lot.  I was equally pleased with We Can Work It Out, so I played this record often as I did Rubber Soul which I bought soon after.  What a great time that was to listen to The Beatles!  We never heard anything like that before.
I can stay till it's time to go

lennonista

• One And One Is Two
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 03:58:29 AM »

I hate We Can Work It Out... but I have a personal reason for that. However, I was never a huge fan of it, anyway... maybe it's the accordian or harmonium or whatever, I dunno. Or maybe it's the fact that he assumes HIS way is the right way to see things, and so the natural rebel in me just comes out.

But I love Day Tripper... great riff, groovy bounce, naughty little lyrics. The Beatles had definitely grown up. I love how they had a hit single about an acid-dropping prick tease... only the Beatles could get away with that kind of stuff! And it's a great song to boot!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:04:39 AM by lennonista »

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 92 queries.