Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cynthia Lennon  (Read 16486 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Cynthia Lennon
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 04:22:18 PM »

Wayyyyyyyyyyy off topic but I read a bio about Ghengis Khan recently. He was a rascist mass murdering tyrant of epic proportions  but the author was saying "hey you've got to understand where this guy was coming from. And look at his aschievements.blah blah blah." sort of thing. And I thought they'll be writing books like this about Hitler in a few hundred years.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2007, 08:03:06 PM »

Quote from: 185
I'm for anything that will deconstruct the Lennon Myth, though I don't think we'll know the complete truth until Yoko has left us.
Wait to see what comes crawling out of the woodwork then.

Anyone read May Pang's book about the 'lost weekend'?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »

I have, ages ago. Was there a part of it you specifically had in mind?
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 09:41:27 PM »

Quote from: 551
I have, ages ago. Was there a part of it you specifically had in mind?

Not really. I just saw Imagine on telly and saw her name on the credits, and remembered that she published a book some years ago.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »

I just read this. My brief thoughts:
Cynth recounts half a dozen times John lost his temper (at her or Julian and Sean) and one count of violence. It doesn't make him a monster - just a typical dad of his times (my own dad was from Toxteth).
Cynth comes across as very compliant - her inability to stand up to John, even when confronted with his infidelity, is quite remarkable. Her (and no doubt Julians inherited) inability to deal with issues and subsequent meekness does, to me, make John seem worse than maybe he really was. John could be a thoughtless, selfcentred  arsehole, but he was a product of his times. His rise to sainthood probably makes his fall from race seem even more extreme.
On the man himself - during Beatlemania, when he was being told what to do, what to say, how to behave all was well. When that stopped he fell into a blackhole. Perhaps he was so drawn to Yoko because again he was being told what to do, what to say, how to behave.......
And now, I don't think boredom was at the root of Johns post-touring dropout. He just wasn't fit for purpose. Paul was the man with the ideas (Sgt Pepper, MMT, Let it Be) and increasingly the tunes. With no one to tell him what to do he did nothing. He was a great rock and roller, but lacked the vision of Brian and Paul.
don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2007, 11:13:18 PM »

Quote from: 185
I just read this. My brief thoughts:
Cynth recounts half a dozen times John lost his temper (at her or Julian and Sean) and one count of violence. It doesn't make him a monster - just a typical dad of his times (my own dad was from Toxteth).
Cynth comes across as very compliant - her inability to stand up to John, even when confronted with his infidelity, is quite remarkable. Her (and no doubt Julians inherited) inability to deal with issues and subsequent meekness does, to me, make John seem worse than maybe he really was. John could be a thoughtless, selfcentred  arsehole, but he was a product of his times. His rise to sainthood probably makes his fall from race seem even more extreme.
On the man himself - during Beatlemania, when he was being told what to do, what to say, how to behave all was well. When that stopped he fell into a blackhole. Perhaps he was so drawn to Yoko because again he was being told what to do, what to say, how to behave.......
And now, I don't think boredom was at the root of Johns post-touring dropout. He just wasn't fit for purpose. Paul was the man with the ideas (Sgt Pepper, MMT, Let it Be) and increasingly the tunes. With no one to tell him what to do he did nothing. He was a great rock and roller, but lacked the vision of Brian and Paul.

I first read this and said, yeah, that sounds about right. But then thinking about it some more, I'm not so sure. Nobody was telling him what to do in Liverpool and Hamburg, but he was the one who kept the group going. In one of those recent big fat books that came out recently (closeup of their four faces, looks like they're lying on the floor) there was a description of a scene that just blew me away ... I think they were touring in Scotland with some drummer they had hooked up with for a while - an older guy, not a kid at all.  

Turns out this guy gets in a car wreck and winds up in the hospital. So what do the Beatles (or Silver Beetles, or whatever they were at the time) do - cancel their gig/tour? In John's mind, not a chance, he could probably SMELL that they were ever so close to making it big. So John goes to the hospital, and BROWBEATS this guy into getting out of his bed, drags him to the gig, and makes him play. Again, this was not a kid, but a grown man that John simply overpowered by force of will.

After remembering that, I think that John could do just fine doing things without being told to, at least at this stage of his life. I think he got disillusioned with fame and fortune, even depressed maybe. That in combination with a LOT of mind-altering substances I'm guessing is why he sort of checked out for a decade or so.

Just my two cents!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 08:22:24 AM »

Mmm. The drummer you're talking about is Tommy Moore.

The Beatles were told to perform in Liverpool and Hamburg and sure, John wanted the band to play as much as possible. But when he could really fill in his own time in the late sixties (after touring stopped), he drew a blank.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »

I agree, at that stage in his life it seems the flame had burned out, or at least was too low to get him up anymore.

Like a shooting star, JL.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »

“It was said I never loved Cyn. That’s far from the truth. We were young, bigheaded, and got into a physical relationship too soon. Perhaps if we took things slow we would have made it. I know we would have made it.” John 1974.

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:54 PM »

Where did John say that, Bobber? haven't come across that one.
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2010, 11:45:33 PM »

“It was said I never loved Cyn. That’s far from the truth. We were young, bigheaded, and got into a physical relationship too soon. Perhaps if we took things slow we would have made it. I know we would have made it.” John 1974.
Did he say this when he was hanging out with May?

George does not approve.

Bobber

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »

Where did John say that, Bobber? haven't come across that one.

Don't know.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »

I know i’ve printed this letter from John to Cyn before, but i only recently found this quote from John, i guess it’s part of the attraction of John that he was such an extreme personality, from day to day he would flip flop from being kind, to the cruelst person imaginable, very few were spared these extremes, it’s one of the great sadnesses of him being taken so young, that he never got to grow and mature and refine these thoughts he had for those he loved most.

From Beatle Photo Blog.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:29:25 AM by JimmyMcCullochFan »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 69 queries.