Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Most English Beatle ?  (Read 13165 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Most English Beatle ?
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2009, 09:44:54 AM »

Quote from: 15

I'm a Roman/English, born in Wales. lol

lol just looked up the proper term it's Romano/British but i think you can call yourself Romano/Welch/English and in my case  Romano/Yorkshire Pudding/With English Mustard .

(rolling3)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »

Quote from: 971

lol just looked up the proper term it's Romano/British but i think you can call yourself Romano/Welch/English and in my case  Romano/Yorkshire Pudding/With English Mustard .

(rolling3)

Well then, we'll just call you Mr. Mustard!

Mr. Poupon, if you have any French blood in you.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »

I think you are what you feel. People choose to call themselves Italian-American because it feels important to them.
Dave - do you consider yourself English or British?
Though I was born in NZ i consider myself English. I even get quite proud of Kent (my mothers side is from there.) and it's history.

"In the 11th century, the people of Kent adopted the motto Invicta, meaning "undefeated". This naming followed the invasion of Britain by William of Normandy. The Kent people's continued resistance against the Normans led to Kent's designation as a semi-autonomous County Palatine in 1067.
During the medieval and early modern period, Kent played a major role in several of England's most notable rebellions, including the Peasants' Revolt of 1381,  Jack Cade's Kent rebellion of 1450, and Wyatt's Rebellion of 1554 against Queen Mary "

don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 03:04:34 PM »

Paul seemed the most polite which is very english ;)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »

Scottish/Irish/English/Russian <<<< thats quite a wee mix ;)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 06:12:43 PM »

Yes i say i'm English Kevin ,although i have an Irish great grandmother on my mums side of the family .
My dads been doing a family tree and on my mums side he's got back to 1722 on the paternal line and whats interesting is my family as not moved more than 20 miles in 287 years  on the parternal side .
So like yourself been proud of your links to Kent , i'm very proud of been a Yorkshire man first and then English (smile)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »

Quote from: 1620

Yes, exactly.  I'm descended from immigrants, but I consider myself first and foremost an American.  I just break out the hyphenations if people want me to get specific!  :P  Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but how many other countries do the hyphenation thing too, if they have immigrants and their descendants?  What about Canada?

You can`t imagine, guys, how interesting it is for me to read all this.
Americans prefer to call themselves Americans rather than separate ethnic minorities. Is it true? And what about The Cult Of Ethnicity that allegedly erupted in the USA last century? Is it over? What about The Melting Pot changing into The Salad Bowl?
And look, the British think differently. They no longer call themselves British, they prefer to call themselves English, Scottish, Welsh. They specify it! While according to our posters Americans do not distinguish between nationalities. Certainly Olivia is Mexican, if we consider her blood and parents. And she is American, an American citizen. But should she forget about her roots?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 10:05:37 PM »

Quote from: 1393

Americans prefer to call themselves Americans rather than separate ethnic minorities. Is it true? And what about The Cult Of Ethnicity that allegedly erupted in the USA last century? Is it over? What about The Melting Pot changing into The Salad Bowl?
And look, the British think differently. They no longer call themselves British, they prefer to call themselves English, Scottish, Welsh. They specify it! While according to our posters Americans do not distinguish between nationalities. Certainly Olivia is Mexican, if we consider her blood and parents. And she is American, an American citizen. But should she forget about her roots?

It depends on who you are.  Generally, if we're referring to others of _____ ethnicity, we call them _____-American.  An individual person may call him/herself that, or just simply American or just his/her ethnicity.  At least that's how it seems to be to me, since I live in a very diverse area.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »

Quote from: 1393

Olivia probably calls herself a Mexican American. Acknowledging her roots. As most of us seem to do. Most of us do NOT forget our roots. That's the point of the whole Something-American thing. Plus, we celebrate traditions and holidays from other countries all the time. So we're very much into our roots. Much more so back East.

American's hardly ever say I'm American when asked what nationality they are. They virtually will always answer with what their heritage is. Which is why the question is usually asked anyway. But really, their nationality is American! I guess if we were in another country, we would say I'm American. I mean, then it would make sense. But then, we might say Italian American or whatever we are. We can't seem to let go of our roots. It's worse back East. Especially with the Irish and Italians. They constantly put each other down and talk about how great their "nationality" is compared to others. It's weird.

I remember the whole Melting Pot to Salad Bowl movement. It didn't catch on. People don't care that much. It is what it is. But schools often teach ethnic diversity and stuff like that so kids are learning to respect other cultures. But that term Salad Bowl is just so lame.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »

Quote from: 1620

It depends on who you are.  Generally, if we're referring to others of _____ ethnicity, we call them _____-American.  An individual person may call him/herself that, or just simply American or just his/her ethnicity.  At least that's how it seems to be to me, since I live in a very diverse area.

^^ Agree with Ms. Penny Lane.

But remember, Since Mexico is in North America, Olivia can be properly said to be North American, full stop, etc. In this case at least, no need to invoke all the "it depends on how people want to refer to themselves" sort of discussion.

Oh, btw, I voted for Paul, because like was pointed out above, he was always so polite, I associate that with being British. Plus, he barbecues.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »

Because the world mostly refers to Americans as people from the United States, I think people from Canada and Mexico prefer to call themselves Canadians and Mexicans. They would never say they were American or North American. Especially since Americans are mostly disliked around the world.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2009, 10:41:13 PM »

Quote from: 216
Because the world mostly refers to Americans as people from the United States, I think people from Canada and Mexico prefer to call themselves Canadians and Mexicans. They would never say they were American or North American. Especially since Americans are mostly disliked around the world.

Good points. Don't forget NAFTA - North American Free Trade Agreement. Mexico, US, Canada.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 09:44:57 AM »

I think whats happening in the UK is quite interesting since devolution there seems to be a more pronounced split into the four nations Northern Irish , Welch , English and Scottish , which i think is healthy .
The British thing always seems very colonial to me and does'nt represent the people who make up these islands , we are different , and that difference is increasing with the influx of immigrants .
English nationalism which you did'nt really hear of his growing in prominence as it is in Scotland .
I suspect the UK will have gone in fifty years time ?
An independent Scotland , a united Ireland i can see on the cards , and maybe the birth of a republic for England & Wales ? just have a feeling that the English and Welsh may stick together ?
I personally would like a republic , when the dear old Queen pops her clogs ?
President McCartney of England & Wales as a nice ring to it ? (wink1)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »

^ Hi Dave. I hope I live to see the breakup of the UK.
I want an independant England, but as a monarchy (like the Dutch/Belgian model.) It's just such a part of our heritage and "englishness."
I guess the Welsh can hang on if they like, but I always get the feeling they're not very fond of us. I'd rather they went as well.
don't follow leaders

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »

Quote from: 185
^ Hi Dave. I hope I live to see the breakup of the UK.
I want an independant England, but as a monarchy (like the Dutch/Belgian model.) It's just such a part of our heritage and "englishness."
I guess the Welsh can hang on if they like, but I always get the feeling they're not very fond of us. I'd rather they went as well.

I've become more republican Kevin of late , it's not that i don't like the Queen i do, think she's done a good job .
But King Charles fills me with dread the guy is a prize wanker ?
Agree the Dutch/Belgian model is better and maybe a move towards that style of monarchy would temper my republican feelings .
I read that over 70% of the Welsh want to remain part of the UK , the English speakers inparticular , this report i read also said the English are moving into Welsh boarder towns in large numbers .
Suppose with 50 million people living mostly in England it's easy to see why parts of Wales are becoming more English  , plus it's never been independent like Scotland ?
So i think the English and Welsh will remain united with Scotland definitely going independant ?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »

I remember the whole Melting Pot to Salad Bowl movement. It didn't catch on. People don't care that much. It is what it is. But schools often teach ethnic diversity and stuff like that so kids are learning to respect other cultures. But that term Salad Bowl is just so lame.

So the idea of the Salad Bowl died the minute it was introduced. And there are some textbooks which claim it exists. However, they may already have got out-of-date cause life is changing fast, faster than textbooks are written.
How do children maintain their native languages? I understand that it is very difficult to do. But are there any schools which teach not only French, German, Spanish?
There is a saying which reads "What the son wishes to forget, the grandson wishes to remember". It is about America by some historian. So finally people should be into the ethnicity thing.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »

I saw a man on TV not long back saying in 200 years time most of the worlds people will look like Tiger Woods (wink1)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »

Right, when people say American they mean somebody from the USA. North American too is definitely a person from the USA, only. But a Russian would never understand what this word means, cause we do not use this sequence. In Latin America NORTE AMERICANO means only a person from the USA. So if Olivia considers herself Mexican or Mexican-American, I don`t think she will call herself North American.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »

I agree with you totally Jane. Ethnicity is obviously hugely important to humans (it's an evolution thing). Look around at most of the conflicts in the world and I bet you'll find ethnic conflict at it's root. We're "programmed" to identify with a kindred group and to distrust those that are different. In almost every cosmopolitan city in the world you'll see ethnic types grouping with their own kind, with their own shops, entertainment, language
I just can't accept that human kind will meld into some homogenous Tiger Woods. It's not the human way. As globilisation increases it makes people more aware of their ethnic differences, not less. Even the different ethnic groups in little old Belgium barely get along with each other. Only 4% of marriages in the US are recorded as inter-racial. It is human instinct to stick with our own kind. I think like violence, religion, fear of the dark and creepy crawlies it is an aspect of us that is deeply rooted in our pysche and can't be just "turned off."
don't follow leaders

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2009, 02:11:44 PM »

Quote from: 185
^  I hope I live to see the breakup of the UK.
I want an independant England, but as a monarchy (like the Dutch/Belgian model.)

France will be very happy about that.  ;)
BUT This new independent country will be much weaker than one big country, Great Britain, is now. Now GB can stand up for its interests, can play a significant role in the international affairs. If it breaks up it won`t have enough say in European politics. It`s like in the song: United we stand, separated we fall" (I may confuse the words a bit). It might even lose it`s traditional ally the USA, since the USA needs a strong ally in Europe. So it might switch to France. Look, France invited President Obama to the recent celebrations. And remember all the scandal about the Queen not being invited? France is becoming stronger and stronger, it has a stance of its own. And what will happen to England? It may become just as Latvia is now in Europe.
I don`t think Great Britain will break up. It`s all politics and it is not that simple.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 84 queries.