Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Favorite 'Across The Universe'?  (Read 5547 times)

Re: Favorite 'Across The Universe'?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 07:32:08 PM »

I don't agree, Paul, John and the others gave the tapes to Phil Spector and bassically said 'do what you want with them', John admits this in an interview, so in that way it wasn't intended to be released as anything specific. I don't think Naked was a major sin against the Beatles, certain tracks, and the drums on all of them are much improved.
Now maybe you see why i think it doesn't got 'against everything they were attempting to do at the time'. :) I do think,however, the album was way to short, and i get through it extremley quickly if i don't really notice it's on. The version of Let it be on there is stunning, and i like For you blue as well.

For 'love', i'm not completley against the idea, i'm like you, i want to give it a listen first, but i  think they should have put the major, and the best tracks from Love on the end of LIBN, or added another disc of alternative versions of songs, like they have done with Love. That way, LOVE would not seem as pointless, and i wouldn't have to waste extra money to get a new cd, if you get what i mean.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 08:12:33 PM »

Quote from: 197
For 'love', i'm not completley against the idea, i'm like you, i want to give it a listen first, but i  think they should have put the major, and the best tracks from Love on the end of LIBN, or added another disc of alternative versions of songs, like they have done with Love. That way, LOVE would not seem as pointless, and i wouldn't have to waste extra money to get a new cd, if you get what i mean.

What people have to remember is that Love is basically an 'anything goes' project. It's not meant to be any kind of 'best of' album.

And poinless? I'm not sure. It's a soundtrack (showtrack?), not even Apple's original idea as far as I know. Therfore without Cirque it would never have happened. Cirque normally puts it's soundtracks out under it's own name - presumably having commisioned the music. Obviously Apple saw the potential in this one!

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

But now i think this is going to be a 'classic' album in it's own right. But does it really belong in the beatles catolouge?

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »

I prefer the Naked version, i wasn't into all that spector orchestration.
the Naked version seems much clearer and i love the acoustic guitar played
by John!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »

I can't make an opinion, cause to be honest, I never knew there were so many different versions, I have heard naked and anthology, but I thought those were the only ones.
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 02:19:01 PM »

Quote from: 483
all they had to do was stick Don't Let Me Down on, and take the damn strings off of Long And Winding Road.

Yes, and include one of Glyn Johns' mixes of the album on the second disc.

[flogs dead horse]

As to the original question, I like version of "Across the Universe" on Anthology 2 best. It's like a lazy, humid summer evening on the banks of the Ganges...  8)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 02:42:40 AM »

I like all versions of this song, but my favorite is the Let It Be version.  Phil Spector did a nice job on this one.
I can stay till it's time to go

ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 02:20:47 AM »

Quote from: 483

I'm not against it at all in principle. I'll reserve judgement until I've heard it.

Let It Be...Naked goes against everything they were attempting to do at the time. It just sounds so overproduced, when all they had to do was stick Don't Let Me Down on, and take the damn strings off of Long And Winding Road.

A massive disappointment.

yeah I had the real Let It Be Naked years before this travesty came out. My main copy of Let It Be has long been a burn I made of the original album with just Across the Universe and Long and Winding Road replaced with the Anthology versions. besides those two songs, I've always thought that Spector did a GREAT job with the album. the live tracks on the rooftop sound really good. and his edit of I Me Mine was necessary and well done. and in fact, I personally like the overdubs on this track, though I'm probably in the minority.

the naked album sucks because it lacks all the "Doris gets her oats" and "Hope we passed the audition" stuff that the original had. It's also very overproduced, as you've noted. Play the real version of One After 909 and then play the naked version. play them back to back. there's no need for diddling up the tracks like that.

I'm telling ya, if Spector just left those two songs alone, just those two....everything else was fine, we'd be praising him to this day as the guy who saved the Let It Be album as the Beatles were breaking up. instead he's the guy who f***ed up the overdubs and p*ssed off Paul.....and possibly killed a girl.
It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 12:46:09 AM »

LIB version is almost right, but there's just a tad too much orchestra with choir (too "American" somehow?).  But the slower speed makes John's voice work like Strawberry Fields.  

I wonder if Apple will reissue the entire Lennon-sung catalogue at slower-normal-faster speed settings (maybe we can play with the EQ and FX--have John do "Hard Day's Night" in "Tomorrow Never Knows" FX?

Okay

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 04:05:41 AM »

Spector version was great.

ManBeatles

• A Beginning
  • my name is Elson.
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

Naked and past master vol. 2 version.
it's touching.

Waitrose

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »

One of my favourite ever Beatles songs.  I voted for the Spector version as that is the one I grew up with and to me is still the best version.  As cover versions go, Fiona Apple's version is amazing (unlike the video which accompanies it).
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 63 queries.