Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has A Beatles Song Ever Been Relevant To Your Life?  (Read 8975 times)

Walrus

• A Beginning
  • Here come old flat top.
    • Octopus's Beatles Forum
Has A Beatles Song Ever Been Relevant To Your Life?
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:06:50 AM »

My question is, has there ever been a time in your life when a Beatles song was completely relevant? The song, although I'm ashamed to admit it, Cry Baby Cry has been shockingly relevant to my life. I was upset about moving cities, about how things always have to change, that they can't just stay the same. I was sobbing in front of mom, who just happened to make a upset sigh at that point. "Cry baby cry, make your mother sigh" The significance of it only really hit me when I asked my brother if I could stay with him for a while, in St. Augustine, which is my hometown, the place I never wished I'd left. "Can you take me back where I came from? Brother can you take me back?" Later I realized something else, that was the first time I could really sleep in that house, and my mom told me "Good Night".

And guess what? This weekend my brother, sister, mom and dad plan to "Come Together" this weekend. Weird right?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:41:30 AM by Walrus »
"There's nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game."

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Has A Beatles Song Ever Been Relevant To Your Life?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »

I find that almost all of the Beatles songs are relevant in my life, but I think Penny Lane sticks out the most because it's sad and nostalgic and is about remembering a place that you can't really revisit.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Walrus

• A Beginning
  • Here come old flat top.
    • Octopus's Beatles Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »

I mean shockingly relevant. Like it's a story of your life.
"There's nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game."

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »

Not exactly a Beatles song, but "Mother" is a song I can relate to.

If I need to explain... well, I won't.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »

The line 'how did two rights make a wrong' from Paul McCartney's Little Lamb Dragonfly has been relevant more than once.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:36 PM »

I would have to say "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" is extremely relevant to my life. I've had major trust issues since a disastrous 2-year, on-and-off relationship when I was in my late teens. It took me years to trust someone again. And now, as I mentioned in "Random Thoughts" and will not be bringing up again, my husband of 17 years is dumping me. So, I consider that song, sadly enough, to be completely relevant to my life.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:34:19 PM »

....Also, I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to listen to Paul's beautiful "For No One" again. Just too painful...

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »

Not exactly a Beatles song, but "Mother" is a song I can relate to.

If I need to explain... well, I won't.

I would have to say "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" is extremely relevant to my life. I've had major trust issues since a disastrous 2-year, on-and-off relationship when I was in my late teens. It took me years to trust someone again. And now, as I mentioned in "Random Thoughts" and will not be bringing up again, my husband of 17 years is dumping me.

This is one of the things that make The Beatles so great. They didn't just write about happy teenage, puppy love. They wrote about pain, sorrow, hurt, disappointment, and all of the negative things in life. Sometimes they put a happy spin on it, sometimes not. But it is reality. When we hear these songs, we can relate on many levels. Somehow the misery (no pun intended) comforts us. As the adage goes, "Misery loves company".
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:57:55 AM »

....Also, I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to listen to Paul's beautiful "For No One" again. Just too painful...

I can certainly understand Kathy.

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:03:44 AM »

As my screen name suggests "In My Life" is very relevant to me. It's been a difficult song to listen to at many times  but the fact that I can do it and not cry (most times) has been a major accomplishment and lets me know that I've made progress.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 03:12:21 AM »

I remember that the Beatles got me with the line "help me if you can I'm feeling down", the first time I saw Help! the movie, when I wasn't a fan yet. I felt very represented by that line. After that I bought the album and my story with the Beatles started.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:14:18 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »

I think "Hey Jude" has helped me most through the years. It's so uplifting and optimistic. My favourite line from it is "You have found her, now go and get her". But the whole song is magnificent and helps you a lot to get through all of your trouble.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Lennon93

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »

Strawberry Fields Forever. It's my fav song, and in some strange way i can relate to it. Too bad my tree is really low. :

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »

How's it going everyone? Out of all of THE BEATLES' songs, one will forever stand out as the song most relevant in my life. When I lost my wife to Breast Cancer in 2001, I was listening to "Yesterday" over and over again for months since I felt that song was about me. When you listen to the lyrics carefully, its all about me. Take care.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:06:46 PM by BeatlesForever »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »

How's it going Beatles fans? I hope that everyone's weekend was superb! WOW, I'm really getting very personal here. I've already told you one, I'll tell you another. I was very close to my Mother, she would be diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease in 2000. Prior to that, I was a caregiver for her for nearly 6 years while she was diagnosed with Dementia. My Mother LOVED THE BEATLES!  When my sister and I were kids, she would sing the song "Goodnight" for us which I used to love all the time. As my Mother progressed further into Alzheimers, my Mother would always remember when I used to dance to THE BEATLES music as a kid. Paul McCartney and I have something in common, both of our Mother's are named Mary. I LOVE the song "Let It Be" because I think of my Mother Mary everytime I hear it. Take care.     

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 12:55:57 AM »

There's actually quite a few Beatle songs that are relevant to me and has a lot of personal meaning.It's a tie between the two songs which have the most personal meaning and are relevant to me and those two are Hey Jude and You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.I don't really want to explain why they're relevant to me because people will think it's weird but I really just wanted to post this in honor of how much Hey Jude and You've Got To Hide Your Love Away always helps me feel better and they both have a very dear meaning to me.

TheFoolOnTheHill

• One And One Is Two
  • He sees the world spinning 'round
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:22 AM »

BEATLES DESCRIBE MY LIFE

My doctor's name is Robert.
I'm a loser.
There's this hill that I like to go to and hang out on. I'm also a fool.
It was raining yesterday. Everyone ran and hid their heads. I also saw a bulldog or something like that (standing in the rain!)
I've been in a submarine but it wasn't yellow :(

These are seriously all true. I never realized most of them till now. Like seriously...
"It's all in the Mind you know!" --George Harrison

KelMar

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »

BEATLES DESCRIBE MY LIFE
I'm a loser.
There's this hill that I like to go to and hang out on. I'm also a fool.

I'm sure sure you aren't a loser! A fool, maybe, but the good kind because you are funny and it is your name but not a loser.  ;)

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »

Hmmm. Mostly John songs, yeah.
I've felt like 'I'm A Loser' many times...

But the big one is 'Strawberry Fields Forever'.
I identify with John's view of childhood. I did feel misunderstood, I did feel like no one was quite in my tree, still kinda feel that way, actually. No wonder it's my favorite Beatles song - John had his Strawberry Field in Liverpool. Me? I had places like Elitch Gardens (that doesn't even exist anymore) near where I lived in Denver when I was a kid. When they tore it down, my childhood went with it. Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

BackBeatle

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 04:11:03 AM »

"I'll Follow the Sun" = My divorce.

BB
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 86 queries.